Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my new Kindle Paperwhite and cover this morning only to discover the language was German and not English. After searching the internet for help, I found many other PWs were sent out in different languages. I finally got mine set up correctly and really like the lighted screen. I paid for a non-ad copy but still get ads on the bottom of the home page for books. I understand that an update might come out allowing us to disable that function. So, instead of book covers, I changed my home page to lists and I'm happy with that. I look forward to reading a lot more books now. I like the size of the PW and the case I ordered from Amazon really protects it. It shuts down automatically when I close the cover. I only wish it had a locking feature to keep the cover from accidentially being opened. And, it took me a little while to find out how to shut the wireless off..."airplane mode"...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
That update is already there. Check under menu and device info. Firmware is now at 5.3.1.

If you want to keep the cover view, but want to get rid of the recommendations, go to menu (the 3 bars) - settings - device options - personalize your kindle. Turn the recommended content to OFF.

And you are good to go.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Atunah said:
That update is already there. Check under menu and device info. Firmware is now at 5.3.1.

If you want to keep the cover view, but want to get rid of the recommendations, go to menu (the 3 bars) - settings - device options - personalize your kindle. Turn the recommended content to OFF.

And you are good to go. ;D
It worked. Thanks for your help. I had 5.3.1 but was unable to figure out how to turn the content off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
It took me a while to figure things out on the PW too. I came from a K3 (KK) and the airplane mode was new to me. Thankfully they added the setting in the menu while in a book. Before that I had to go back to the home page each time just to turn of wifi.  :eek:. Its still not quite as easy as on my K3, but at least I can stay in the book now.

Hope you like your PW.  ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to have to contact Kindle support. My new Paperwhite Kindle has a problem. Some of the page is blurry and some is very clear. It looks almost like a wave from the upper left hand corner of the screen to the bottom right. I've tried every font, every size, every light setting. The only clear text is when the light is down at zero. I didn't want to have to return it but I can't read very long with the text this way.

I sent an email to Kindle support and the reply was that I have to request for someone to call me back. That way they can verify that I am who I say I am...So, I will call tomorrow.

I have read a number of complaints on the internet about this very problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
My 3rd paperwhite will be here tomorrow.  First one has a perfect screen except for an annoying bright spot on the bottom left side.  I can't stop staring at it while I read.  Second one has a discoloration on the upper right side and pinkish hues throughout the screen.  I love the paperwhite and hope 3rd time is a charm!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Alice Coyl said:
I'm going to have to contact Kindle support. My new Paperwhite Kindle has a problem. Some of the page is blurry and some is very clear. It looks almost like a wave from the upper left hand corner of the screen to the bottom right. I've tried every font, every size, every light setting. The only clear text is when the light is down at zero. I didn't want to have to return it but I can't read very long with the text this way.

I sent an email to Kindle support and the reply was that I have to request for someone to call me back. That way they can verify that I am who I say I am...So, I will call tomorrow.

I have read a number of complaints on the internet about this very problem.
I had this same problem with one of my replacement PW's as well. Good luck with your replacement. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I contacted Kindle CS this morning and they are sending me a new Kindle Paperwhite. It will be here Friday. The final straw was when it started jumping ahead pages yesterday and three chapters this morning. The rep I talked to was in the Philippines and could not give me a good answer why my PW came in German. Even my welcome letter was in German. He will pass on all of the information to the tech support.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Alice Coyl said:
I contacted Kindle CS this morning and they are sending me a new Kindle Paperwhite. It will be here Friday. The final straw was when it started jumping ahead pages yesterday and three chapters this morning. The rep I talked to was in the Philippines and could not give me a good answer why my PW came in German. Even my welcome letter was in German. He will pass on all of the information to the tech support.
Did your PW have you go through a tutorial when you first turned it on? The very first step was to select the language. (Just curious.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KimberlyinMN said:
Did your PW have you go through a tutorial when you first turned it on? The very first step was to select the language. (Just curious.)
My Paperwhite came completely set up in German. That is why I think it was one that had been returned before. I had no choice of languages until I did a total factory installed reset. The customer service rep assured me that mine was brand new but all the choices had already been made for me. Even the welcome Alice letter was in German. And, the German dictionaries had been chosen. I'm expecting a new PW today to replace it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Alice Coyl said:
My Paperwhite came completely set up in German. That is why I think it was one that had been returned before. I had no choice of languages until I did a total factory installed reset. The customer service rep assured me that mine was brand new but all the choices had already been made for me. Even the welcome Alice letter was in German. And, the German dictionaries had been chosen. I'm expecting a new PW today to replace it.
Yeah, that's pretty suspicious. (VERY!) I hope the replacement is perfect for you!! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KimberlyinMN said:
Yeah, that's pretty suspicious. (VERY!) I hope the replacement is perfect for you!! :)
I received the replacement PW today, downloaded the most current update and installed it and took the defective PW over to the UPS store to go back to Amazon. So far, the new one is working fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
Glad to hear all went well Alice. German I could have handled.  ;D. But there were a few over on amazon, or was it mobilread, that got their kindles with chinese. So someone had to post the step by step button sequence to get away from that. So I have heard of a few units that got to customers that did not have english as default. Odd that one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
I wonder if the units that come with a language already selected, etc, were part of a quality assurance thing? (Although I would think they would have done a factory reset on it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Atunah said:
Glad to hear all went well Alice. German I could have handled. ;D. But there were a few over on amazon, or was it mobilread, that got their kindles with chinese. So someone had to post the step by step button sequence to get away from that. So I have heard of a few units that got to customers that did not have english as default. Odd that one.
I found the steps and followed them. It would have been easier to do the factory reset as I finally did to try to get from skipping pages. So, if anyone gets one again in another language, just advise them do a factory reset and re-register their PW. That is the best way to handle it in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This morning I was reading on my replacement PW and all of a sudden it jumped ahead about two chapters. This is the same problem I had with PW #1. I had it set on refresh every page and have turned that function off. Do any of you have problems with your PW jumping ahead? If so, what did you do about it? I don't want to return this one too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Hmmm... the first thing I would try is to do a restart from the menu. 

Home page > Menu >Settings > Menu > Restart.

See if that makes any difference.

I haven't had this problem, sorry to hear you are!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
I'm not sure how the jump-ahead problem could be related to the content, but is this the same book that you were having trouble with on the other PW?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes it is the same book. However, I have been reading this book on my K3 without any problems. I did look at the troubleshooting site on Amazon and they have something listed for pages jumping ahead. They recommended restarting the Kindle which I have done. Now I will see if that helps. I read about 2/3 of the book on the K3 and when I received the PW, used "Go To" and picked the chapter to start reading. I didn't have any problem last night but this morning when I read for a couple of chapters, all of a sudden it jumped ahead. I'll see if the restart helps.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top