Kindle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a kindle paperwhite for Christmas and it's great. The only thing that bothers me is that the text is uneven and different shades at times. When I start reading it is pretty even but say after twenty minutes I find that some lines are really strong and bold and others look more weak and pixley. It has just been getting a little annoying and I was wondering if anyone else who has this device ever notices something like this happening.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
As a default it is set to only refresh pages every 6. You can change that to every page if you want in the settings.

Go to home page and click in the menu. The 3 lines. Then settings. On the very bottom there is whats called
"reading options". You can change the page refresh to change every page there.

Try that and see if you like that better. You will get that flash though then after each page, rather than each 6th page. But yes, sometimes when it gets to 4 or 5 pages without the refresh, they can get a bit weak. I think it is more noticeable on the thinner fonts like baskerville and palatino. I got used to it though. But you can change that.

My older K3 never had that option with the 6 pages. It always refreshed each page.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
Also when I play with the light setting it makes sections of the page look a bit faded until I turn it.

It was a bit of an adjustment for me to go from my K3 with each page refresh to the PW with 6 page refresh. I know other models like the Touch already had that, but I skipped all those.  ;D

Once I get reading though, I tune it all out. I initially changed to refresh for each page, but then I didn't want the flash so I went back to every 6 pages. I don't notice it anymore really.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for answering everyone! I changed my kindle so it refreshes every page turn and the uneven text is minimul now. So I guess different shaded text is a normal thing when it is set to refresh every 6 pages...

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That was one of several defects I had with the two Paperwhites I received.  I was never able to remedy the uneven text or shadows.  The Paperwhite was perfect in theory for me, but I gave up after 2 defective ones.  I read on my Kindle Keyboard or Fire HD.  I'll wait until they work out the bugs before I try again.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The shadows on the bottom are really normal for the device. My wife tends to keep the brightness higher on hers then I do on mine. So in her case I think the shadows are a little stronger while she is reading in a darker room. But it does not bother her at all, so like its been said before, everyone is different.  I tend to adjust the brightness so the shadows are minimal on mine.  

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The shadows at the bottom don't bother me at all. It's the shadows in the middle that I don't care for. (Not that you were replying to ME necessarily.) :) 

I think part of my problem is ME. I'm the person who has to look at all of the items in stock and compare them against each other to find the "perfect" whatever. (Shirts, purses, etc. It drives the Hubs nuts.)  The other e-ink Kindles didn't have variations, except for the markings on the Kindle Keyboard buttons wearing off, so I didn't mind getting what I got.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
My son took one look at my two Paperwhites next to my Kindle Keyboard and quickly pointed out the uneven text and shadows.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lifeflies said:
Thanks for answering everyone! I changed my kindle so it refreshes every page turn and the uneven text is minimul now. So I guess different shaded text is a normal thing when it is set to refresh every 6 pages...
Text on my K3 looks a lot better than text on my PW, seems for every improvement with the PW there's a corresponding negative.

That six page refresh would be much better if it wasn't an average, mine seems to not refresh for a good number of pages then it'll refresh every page for ten turns or something. God knows why it's designed like that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cloysterpete said:
Text on my K3 looks a lot better than text on my PW, seems for every improvement with the PW there's a corresponding negative
I don't have the K3 anymore, but the text on my Baby K is definitely sharper than the text on my PW.

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
Cloysterpete said:
That six page refresh would be much better if it wasn't an average, mine seems to not refresh for a good number of pages then it'll refresh every page for ten turns or something. God knows why it's designed like that.
Seems a pretty consistent 'every 6 page turns' for me. . . . . .but, you know you can change it to every page turn if you want?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Cloysterpete said:
Text on my K3 looks a lot better than text on my PW, seems for every improvement with the PW there's a corresponding negative.

I am sure they did it for faster page turns, but you do have the option to refresh after every page turn. Be honest I have no issues with the page refresh after six page turns. Still wondering how they pulled that one off. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
2 Posts
Blotches made me return two Paperwhites...gave me headaches...other than that I loved it. Will stick with my E-ink keyboard model and Fire HD until the lighting issues are sorted out...too bad, I really liked it other than that.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I think I'm going to keep PW #5 and return PW #6.  I was hoping that the last one (#6) would be as white as #5 but without the dust spots under the screen that show up uber white. No.... #6 seemed to almost start me back to the beginning with the blue and pink blotches.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts