Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Paperwhite wifi for Christmas and love it!  All the other Kindles I have had were 3g and I didn't think I'd miss it......but I do!  So now I've ordered the 3g which comes today and I'm returning the wifi one.  I just love the ease of connecting most anywhere!  Would it matter to you?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes it matters to me and I've always gotten my Kindles with 3G when I had a choice.

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I had a K2 that was 3G (or whatever the G was at that time) when that was the only option. Then I had a K3 which was wi-fi only, which was fine because I had wi-fi at home. Now I have a Paperwhite and got 3G because I hope to travel some in the next year or two. However wi-fi is more common now, even on buses and trains and airplanes, so I don't know how much I will use the 3G.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
No, it doesn't matter. I thought it might but it really doesn't. Between home and all the places with free wifi there's little time without connection. Also, I have at least a month or two of TBR so there isn't anything I can't wait a day or two to download. The money saved on the unit is that much "free" content.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I have always had 3G in my Kindles, and I can't imagine not having it. I live in the boondocks, and it's really important to me to be able to download samples and/or books wherever I am. (I'm usually pretty patient, but not when I'm wanting to sample or read a new book.)

I hope you enjoy your Paperwhite as much as I am enjoying mine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love the Paperwhite!  But I also love being able to download wherever I am!  We are going on a cruise soon and that will help!

·
Registered
904 Posts
I wouldn't mind having 3g on mine.  But, I don't feel that I'm missing TOO much by not having it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
It matters to me but I just tethered my Fire to my phone and it's the same thing. I'm pretty sure I can do the ame with my PW, just have set it up yet.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wi-fi is fine for me. I have it at home and can always load up books before I go somewhere without wi-fi (which is getting harder to do these days).
Plan ahead a bit and 3G is not necessary, most of the time.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
hamerfan said:
Wi-fi is fine for me. I have it at home and can always load up books before I go somewhere without wi-fi (which is getting harder to do these days).
Plan ahead a bit and 3G is not necessary, most of the time.
The reason that 3G or other connectivity is so important to me is to get book descriptions when I am trying to decide what new book(s) to start.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I've always had kindles with 3G. I have wifi at home and do most of my reading there, but I like that I can download anything at any time. I also use it to sync with my other kindle left at home if I need to pick up where I left off in a book. I could live without it, but don't see a reason why I should.  ;D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Lursa (aka 9MMare) said:
The reason that 3G or other connectivity is so important to me is to get book descriptions when I am trying to decide what new book(s) to start.
I agree! I've had Whispernet turned off since last March because there's always been at least one overdue/returned library book that would disappear if I turned it on. What I miss most is the book descriptions and the ability to download samples (or read a sample and click-buy to continue reading). At home, I can pretty much do these things with my PC but it's much more difficult when traveling without 3G.

It would actually be nice to have the option to download book descriptions with the book so you could browse through your reading options without being connected (like when you finish a book on the airplane and are trying to choose the next one).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts