Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question. Revised one of my books to go on CreateSpace and got an email back from Auntie Amy saying they'd noticed some format errors. Specifically extra lines between paragraphs.

Now I come from a science back ground so my preference for formating paragraphs is block mode, i.e. a blank line between them and no first line indent. In fictional works I suppose the standard is a first line indent, and no blank lines, and I have had comments back saying that they were missed. So I added a 6mm first line indent to each paragraph and kept the blank line.

Overkill? Maybe. And by removing the blank lines I might make the book a couple of pages shorter. But to my eyes it looks good. Especially on a tablet or computer screen.

So my question, would anyone object to this paragraph format? Is it too much? And is there a hard and fast rule about this or is it a matter of style?

Cheers, Greg.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think that it's generally a matter of style - I've edited fiction with both styles, though most tend to use indents for new paragraph and a full break for changes of scene/time etc.

As a reader I actually prefer block paragraphs, I find them a lot easier on the eye.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I would not recommend it for standard fiction.

The extra blank lines appear much larger than we assume on the small devices such as smart phones. And sometimes they create extra wrap that doubles the blank line.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think you have a little more leeway with ebook formatting, but with a print version, you're going to increase page count--and therefore cost--with all that white space.  Most readers are used to indents with no spaces between paragraphs, and they'll handle it fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts