Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Immortal Soldier Gideon Sinclair defies the Gods he serves and puts the mortal world at risk by saving the life of Dr. Megan Carter: the woman he swore to kill. Meg's on the run from a mage seeking immortality, but will falling for the enigmatic Gideon be her biggest threat?

With Old Gods and old grudges, bad magic and hot romance, immortality never looked so good.

Contemporary Paranormal Romance / Urban Fantasy Setting
Available on Kindle, Nook, and where ever e-books are sold

Warning: Explicit language, graphic sex, violence, hidden agendas, expensive scotch, and zombies behaving badly.

][url=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SRGF9U/?tag=kbpst-20]

·
Super Moderator
67,449 Posts
Hello again, Ursula, and congratulations on your book! :)

Please note that KindleBoards is a Readers and Kindle Fan forum. Authors are always welcome but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows: (Note that this doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference. :) )

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information. You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days. Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link. Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KindleBoards as time allows. This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles! Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post. For information on more ways to promote here on KindleBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KindleBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum. Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Oh, and one more thing: be sure to check out the index threads at the top of the Book Bazaar. . . follow the directions there to be listed. :)

Thanks for being part of KindleBoards! Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Romantic Times reviewed Immortal Protector and gave it 4 stars:

A fascinating look at the gods and their modern-day involvement in the affairs of Earth. This is an adventurous story full of romance, horror and mythology. The main characters are personable, and the numerous secondary ones are very interesting. Bauer does a great job of creating an alternate Earth.

-Susan Mobley

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Immortal Protector had a lot of action scenes, that including more than a few places getting wrecked.
For one scene, the hero, Gideon, an Immortal Soldier, fights a demon in the heroine's house. For the setting I used my friend's house, a few blocks over from mine. It was a nice little brick cape off the local park and golf course. A slice of suburbia that bit the dust.
I never told her about this, only that I had a surprise for her in the book, but it was up to her to figure out what it was.
She was psyched when she found it and to this day, when out at bars, still tells people a demon and immortal soldier destroyed her first house.
It's a great reader reaction, and perfect sales pitch.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I relied heavily on Egyptian mythology when writing certain aspects of Immortal Protector and building out the 'world'. A lot of ceremonial magic ties back to that lore, and it really lent itself to creating an urban fantasy setting populated by vengeful Gods, dark agendas, immortal soldiers, demon armies, and whack job black magicians.

However, my ultimate inspiration for the Eternity Covenant concept and the watchdog agency, The Council of Wardens, came from my years watching the Justice League in Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon.

Once a geek, always a geek. ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Years ago I went to Egypt with my mother on a two week vacation. It's the only time I was out of the USA.

One of the things that fascinated me was the endless track of sands, ever shifting. I would wonder, what else is hidden? Since that trip over 20 years ago, many digs have since been discovered.

It was one such dig that was the spark for the book, and what is commonly called an 'inciting incident', or, the thing that sets it all in motion. A seemingly harmless dig in the sand unearths an artifact. What trouble this can cause, I thought. But what kind? The Egyptians had an obsession with life in the afterlife. Tombs were filled with grave goods including statues of household staff (and sometimes bodies of the staff), food, all kinds of goodies for use 'later on'. It was like a second life, or a life extended. Which brought me to Immortality.

So I had mysterious artifacts, no one at the dig wise to the real power. Somehow they play into immortality. But how and why? It occurred to me, while thinking back on my trip, how many of the towns through out the land, and especially along the Nile had temples to parton dieties. Then I remembered a favorite childhood cartoon: Isis. And her whole story came to me, her husband Osiris, Seth the evil/chaotic brother God, and doom and gloom that surrounds the impending confrontation.

It all kind of fell out from that point, all happening off screen. The book opens with the 'cat out of the bag', the bag opened by the wrong guy, and an Immortal Soldier being dispatched to 'take care of the problem' with lethal force. But in reality, I can say that the primary story germ came from the vacation of a lifetime, a harmless bit of news many years later about an obscure find in the sands of Egypt, and a Saturday morning childhood cartoon. Proving inspiration is everywhere.  ;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Meg, the main character, is a Pediatric Oncologist. I wanted to make her a doctor, and I wanted to make her one that was cutting edge smart, but also one open enough that something beyond the norm wouldn't be that hard a sell.

From my experience as a nurse, and working in hospice, I was exposed to many physicians who seemed to have an open mind to more than simple science. And, again from that experience, pediatricians seemed to always be nice, mellow and usually fun. The two made a good fit, and helped to round out a character who, in a short period of time, would need to expand her mind to take in a universe full of shadows, myths, magic, and everything that goes bump in the night.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Favorite line from book : "Come with me if you want to live."

Favorite character: Mad Jack, the outcast sorcerer. Liked him so much I wrote his story in the follow up book.

Favorite guilty pleasure: (In the book): Lots of hotel rooms. *big wink*

If this book were a band: It would be a collaboration between Motorhead, Sophie B. Hawkins, and Prince.

If I would change anything about it: I would add a few more fight scenes because they're fun to write and I get to wreck things and follow that with a soft fall. Can't ask for better than that.

If I could meet anyone from this book it would be: Ramon Salazar, that man knows how to mix a mean cocktail, and conduct an outstanding conspiracy.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gideon Sinclair is an immortal soldier with a problem: protect the woman he's sworn to kill. if he doesn't kill Meg, the world is done. Except he can't do that. As a hero he's faced with an impossible dilemma, and how he goes about solving it reveals that deep down despite centuries of following the rules, he still has the heroic man inside of him.

A man is known by his actions, and that is the premise I used as an author to reveal who Gideon was, is, and help him become the man he was meant to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts