Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only Kindler who would love some parental controls on the Kindle? I loan my Kindle to my kids a lot - in the car, their show dress rehearsals, around the house... My kids use my Kindle regularly - almost whenever I'm not and then sometimes when I'd like to be using it. ;) And now that school is out, I know that usage will increase. And if I buy my kid a Kindle (probably will have to if I ever want to use mine this summer) how do I keep them from downloading and purchasing books I don't want them to?

My librarian friends (I have two - both Kindle-haters :()think I'm horrible for encouraging censorship but I'm a parent and don't want my kids reading some things. If I don't watch out for them, no one else will. Most things are okay and probably when they're a little older (oldest is 12 - she's pretty much allowed to read what she wants, but my 10 year old son?!? No way!!), they'll have more freedom.

I wish we could get some parental controls... :-\

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Really, the only thing you can do is de-register the Kindle before you give it to them, and they won't be able to download anything to it.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
My son was always good with a threat when he was younger. Like "Download anything without asking first, and you lose everything in your room for a month." Let them know you'll find out quite quickly that they've d/l'd something; I recently gave my son a Kindle and it's attached to my account. I don't think he realizes that every time he buys something I get an email, and that I can go to my account page and see if he's moved things onto his Kindle (he's 26; he can get anything he wants, but were he younger...I could nail him on it if I had to.)

I'd buy the kids a Kindle, threaten them (with love, of course) and hope for the best. If they know you can see what they're doing with it, chances are that'll keep them from buying anything on purpose.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a feeling that most children will be reasonably responsible, especially if you tell them that you receive an email for every book purchased.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
L.Canton said:
I have a feeling that most children will be reasonably responsible, especially if you tell them that you receive an email for every book purchased.
Unless they do what my classmates did in high school when it came down to teachers emails to parents...they race to a computer, log in their parents' email, and delete/reply to it.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
If you trust your kids to have their own Kindles, I think to some extent you have to trust them to use it appropriately.  By all means, if they have their own device tied to your account. . . let them know that you WILL know every book they buy.  Probably that'll keep them from buying anything questionable.  But if you like to read. . .let's call them "bodice rippers". . .but aren't quite ready for your 10 year old daughter to be introduced to that genre, you need to accept she will have access to them unless you de-register the Kindle as Pigeon suggested.  And if they're already in your media library you won't necessarily know that they've been downloaded to another Kindle on your account.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
Unless they do what my classmates did in high school when it came down to teachers emails to parents...they race to a computer, log in their parents' email, and delete/reply to it.
Well. . . there's a really easy way for the parents to stop that. . . . .though, I guess they have to realize it's happening first.

"What's the matter with kids these days?" :D

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Vegas_Asian (Experiment#305) said:
Nice try, but it still shows up on the Manage Your Kindle part of your account.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I'm the only K-user who would like parental controls? 

That kinda surprises me.

It's weird that the Kindle doesn't have them.  Everything else does - satellite and cable TV, satellite radio, phones, ipods, internet, computers, etc.  Why not the Kindle?  ???

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I don't have kids, and Ripley's paws are too big for the buttons.  ;D

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
KindleMom said:
So I'm the only K-user who would like parental controls?

That kinda surprises me.

It's weird that the Kindle doesn't have them. Everything else does - satellite and cable TV, satellite radio, phones, ipods, internet, computers, etc. Why not the Kindle? ???
No, you're not the only one. Jan and I are considering getting Samuel - our 12 year-old - a Kindle (probably mine, and I might get a K2) for his birthday because he's become a reading maniac. His Kindle would be tied to my account, because Jan reads a lot of romance novels that...well, you know! I have a couple things that probably aren't suitable for him, but not much.

While we trust Samuel to do the right thing, I'd still like to be able to have some sort of control over what he can see and what he can't, because even the best kid can find things that they probably shouldn't, and as far as I know there's no way for me to keep track of what samples he's looking at unless I physically inspect his Kindle. I'm a bit less-concerned about the buying aspect, because in the "Kindle access briefing" there would be a death-and-destruction clause about buying something without permission (since I'd see the receipt in my email).

As for kids doing what Vegas said - logging in to their parents mail and taking care-o-business - any parent who shares their password with their children outside of emergencies deserves what they get. The boys certainly don't know mine or Jan's (and we take active "denial measures", like making sure they can't see the keyboards when we're typing 'em in), and we've given very strict instructions that they can't even share among themselves. We're just big meanies! ;D

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think the Kindle should have parental controls, and I'm not even a parent yet.  Preventing children from accessing inappropriate material is closer to self-censorship than real censorship.

My solution for the parental control problem...I'd like to see Amazon create child accounts (only for digital purchases like Kindle books, mp3s, and video-on-demand) that are linked to an parent/regular account.  The parent account could view all purchases made on the child account, remove access to certain purchases, set monthly spending limits, or even set the account to require approval from the parent before any purchase could be made.  When the child turns 18 (or when the parent feels the child is old enough), the account could be unlinked. It would become a regular account, but would retain access to books & videos purchased through the account (as opposed to adult children loosing access to books they purchased while using their parent's account).

Ideally, I think Amazon should allow downloads to be shared between the child & parent accounts while they are linked.  Parents could read anything their children purchased, but children could only read books that their parents decided to make available to them.  I also think it would be great if regular accounts could be linked, if they shared a billing address, but that is probably asking for too much.  :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
We never censored material, although just as with movies or tv I would point out certain content contained in the media that she might not want to see or read because she found it upsetting. I self censor certain kinds of graphic violence and news but that means it pertains to me only, self is not a word that indicates an outside person. In the end she made the decision if she wanted to read or see something.

I don't see an issue with Amazon for the kindle though, all content shows up on your kindle page, so nothing is hidden and if anything can provide the impetus for a good talk about things and issues.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Forgot to add pretty much any kid these days already has much more access to any content you may want to censor from the kindle, either through friends or the library and internet. The last thing I'd be worried about is kindle books.

·
Registered
43 Posts
My 11 year old DD uses my Kindle often and I allow her to buy books when she asks.  She doesn't buy a lot because it really is MY Kindle and I do use it constantly.  But occasionally she'll want a book in a series and we can't find it in the bookstore or the library.  So we download it.  But I trust her and she'd never buy something without asking.

As for controls or passwords...I'd vote for a 'yes' just to avoid the issue with the Kindle being stolen and the theif being able to buy books on your account.  (If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the thread about a stolen kindle.)

·
Registered
700 Posts
My 13-year old uses my Kindle, but he knows that all book purchases have to be approved by me first (to keep up with the money being spent).  Maybe he's just an unusually good kid, but he'd never buy anything w/o asking first.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
I emailed a friend of mine who let his 13 year old buy his own Kindle. He says it's tied to his Amazon account and he or his wife peeks at it a couple times a day to see what the boy is reading, what's stored on it, and what's in the archives. It *has* be be kept where they can find it, it's not allowed out of the house, he has to let them know what he wants to buy--and that has to be in English since he can read two other languages--and if he hides it or simply forgets to put it where they can see & use it, he loses it for a week. Each time that happens, they add a week.

This is theoretical, since they haven't had to take it away yet. Apparently he doesn't want to waste his four hundred bucks on being stupid.  :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If you trust your kids to have their own Kindles, I think to some extent you have to trust them to use it appropriately. By all means, if they have their own device tied to your account. . . let them know that you WILL know every book they buy. Probably that'll keep them from buying anything questionable. But if you like to read. . .let's call them "bodice rippers". . .but aren't quite ready for your 10 year old daughter to be introduced to that genre, you need to accept she will have access to them unless you de-register the Kindle as Pigeon suggested. And if they're already in your media library you won't necessarily know that they've been downloaded to another Kindle on your account.
At first you have to give them your trust. Give them your conditions when you give them their kindle. First they should be responsible to take care of it and read books that are of appropriate for them. You can make the account with which you can have the password and then you can know what they are and will be reading.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I've never used parental controls on anything even when available....but I have always monitored what they are/were watching/surfing/reading.  Never really was a problem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts