Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am poking around my amazon account and wondered if there was anyway to set up my Kindle 1 click to come off of a gift certificate rather than a credit card? I am starting to worry that it is a little too easy to buy books through my Kindle and I want to make sure I keep my spending within reason.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,967 Posts
As soon as you apply the gift card in your amazon account all purchases will deduct from it before your credit card. There is no option in the Manage Your Kindle page that shows up, so it is kind of confusing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
Gift cards are the only way that I 1-click.  It will automatically deduct from Gift Crdsfirst.  My problem is when I am ordering something else from amazon, I have to remember how to change my payment option to NOT use the gift card....cause gift cards are for KindleBooks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
KindleKay said:
Gift cards are the only way that I 1-click. It will automatically deduct from Gift Crdsfirst. My problem is when I am ordering something else from amazon, I have to remember how to change my payment option to NOT use the gift card....cause gift cards are for KindleBooks!
Same here, I use my gift card only for my Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so do you just remove your credit card from their payment system so that if your gift card runs out it can't go to your cc?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,384 Posts
modkindle said:
so do you just remove your credit card from their payment system so that if your gift card runs out it can't go to your cc?
When you make a purchase it always asks "Payment Method" which gives you the option to change from CC to debit card, etc. You don't have to remove it though. I have 3 payment methods set up: Gift Card, Amazon Visa and my Visa Debit
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,039 Posts
modkindle said:
so do you just remove your credit card from their payment system so that if your gift card runs out it can't go to your cc?
I think you have to have a credit card setup on the account. If you exceed the gift certificate amount, it charges the credit card for the balance.

You can check the Gift Card balance on-line to make sure you have enough. I haven't tried to see if you can check from the Kindle.

Another tip for gift certificates. Some Coinstar machines have the option of getting Amazon gift certificates. So you can turn your loose change into gift certificates. Search these boards for 'coinstar' and you can find a very long thread with a number of pointers on that topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
KindleKay said:
Gift cards are the only way that I 1-click. It will automatically deduct from Gift Crdsfirst. My problem is when I am ordering something else from amazon, I have to remember how to change my payment option to NOT use the gift card....cause gift cards are for KindleBooks!
Exactly... and Coinstar is used to fund our girft cards.
Nice how things work out.

Eric
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
modkindle said:
so do you just remove your credit card from their payment system so that if your gift card runs out it can't go to your cc?
You have to have a credit card on the account. That is part of setting up the account. And if your gift card doesn't cover the purchase, it will charge the balance to your credit card.

L
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
67,319 Posts
Kathy said:
As soon as you apply the gift card in your amazon account all purchases will deduct from it before your credit card. There is no option in the Manage Your Kindle page that shows up, so it is kind of confusing.
The easiest way, in my opinion, to apply a GC is through "Your Account"

Also note that if you have subscriptions, they will be charged to your CC regardless of any GC balance . . . .

Ann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Also note that if you have subscriptions, they will be charged to your CC regardless of any GC balance . . . .

Ann
I was going to mention that there are a few things out there that you cannot use a gift card to pay for. This is the main one on Kindle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
I also use gift cards to pay for Kindle books. Because my family knew I had just gotten a Kindle, I got a bunch of Amazon gift cards for my birthday. I haven't even needed to set up my 1-click with a credit card, because it just deducts from my gift card balance.
 
G

·
kevindorsey said:
I have to develop a tracking system if I use the gift cards, leaving a small balance on them is wasteful.
You don't have to worry about that with Amazon gift cards. They lump all your gift card balances into one account. As you use it the total drops until you use up all the amount or add more funds. If you spend more than what is in your GC balance, the remainder rolls over to your credit card on file.

This is why I purchase Amazon gift cards with any "debit card" gift cards I receive. I so hate having loose change on a gift card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
see that's the bad part for me. If I don't have enough giftcard balance and it just rolls over to my CC, it defeats the purpose of limiting my spending to something reasonable. I'm going to have to think of a creative way to keep track.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
This is why I purchase Amazon gift cards with any "debit card" gift cards I receive. I so hate having loose change on a gift card.
Oh, man, what a great idea! I never thought of this. Thanks, LR!!

EDIT: So I have a rebate card with ~$3 on it. Where do I enter it at Amazon? Just in the gift certificate box? (Sorry to sound like a dummy on this one! LOL)

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
This is why I purchase Amazon gift cards with any "debit card" gift cards I receive. I so hate having loose change on a gift card.
Same here :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Leslie said:
Oh, man, what a great idea! I never thought of this. Thanks, LR!!

EDIT: So I have a rebate card with ~$3 on it. Where do I enter it at Amazon? Just in the gift certificate box? (Sorry to sound like a dummy on this one! LOL)
Don't use gift cards to buy Amazon gift cards online. I have tried twice and been denied both times which made no sense to be being American Express and Visa gift cards. I wrote them and they told me they do not allow any gift cards to be purchased by other gift cards. So I went to the Sheetz down the road where they sell them and picked it up there instead. I am sure there is some kind of reason they won't allow it, since I can use the same gift cards to buy anything else on Amazon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,578 Posts
Kathy said:
As soon as you apply the gift card in your amazon account all purchases will deduct from it before your credit card. There is no option in the Manage Your Kindle page that shows up, so it is kind of confusing.
Yeah, thats what I though. First deducts from the certificate and then any remaining amount will be applied against the C.C.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
modkindle said:
see that's the bad part for me. If I don't have enough giftcard balance and it just rolls over to my CC, it defeats the purpose of limiting my spending to something reasonable. I'm going to have to think of a creative way to keep track.
You should get in the habit of checking your GC balance against your purchases anyway. Several members have had a problem with the balance being incorrect.

Just the other day, I had about $43 in my GC account, and purchased 4 books at $4.76 each. I checked my balance immediately afterwards, expecting to have about $24+ left, and the amount was $0.00.

I looked up the # for CS and then went back in to double check my purchases and my balance, and the correct amount was showing. I was lucky. A few people have had to call and get the balance corrected.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top