1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
That's good news!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
suggests they are clearing out scam books (and authors may be leaving KU). Pot gets split between less people, high page payout.

In six months look for 1c a page :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Out of curiosity, where do you get the info for this? I've only been back in KU for a couple of months, and haven't worked it all out yet!

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I think authors are leaving KU in droves over the page read controversy. Those that stay will benefit, assuming Zon records any page reads for them.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
brkingsolver said:
I think authors are leaving KU in droves over the page read controversy. Those that stay will benefit, assuming Zon records any page reads for them.
"Benefit" is a relative term. Lose 20%+ each month since July, then gain back around 11% after a delay of months.

Still feels like they are throwing us a bone after the meat has been stripped from it, and hoping that new KU authors think it's a good deal.

Personally, I'd need 6 months at 0.6 before I made back what I should have.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
brkingsolver said:
I think authors are leaving KU in droves over the page read controversy.
Do we have any evidence of this? Not saying they aren't leaving, but I recall when KU 2.0 happened with all the complaints a lot of people were assuming that because vocal authors here were leaving, it must mean that there was a material exodus. But after a couple months, the data of books in KU and KU books in various lists suggested that there wasn't a noticable change other than the average work length was longer.

G

·
katygirl said:
Wow, that's great! Thanks for doing the math. I stink at it.
I stink at it too. But it's actually very easy. Take the amount you made in page reads and divide it by the number of page reads. Ex: of you have 100,000 page reads on a title and you made $200 it would be 200/100,000. If you get it backwards, you'll know. The number will be ridiculous. Just flip them around and there you have it.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
edwardgtalbot said:
Do we have any evidence of this? Not saying they aren't leaving, but I recall when KU 2.0 happened with all the complaints a lot of people were assuming that because vocal authors here were leaving, it must mean that there was a material exodus. But after a couple months, the data of books in KU and KU books in various lists suggested that there wasn't a noticable change other than the average work length was longer.
The evidence is mathematical. The total fund increased by $100,000, or 0.6%. The payout increased 3.57%, or six times as much.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
So I estimate we're seeing 30% fewer reads Aug through Nov. If I add that 30% to the reads we have in the US region and multiply by a modest .0045 payout, our actual earnings are still 14.5% under that. The higher payout helps to offset the balance but it certainly doesn't come close to wiping out the discrepancy.

That doesn't even account for the September into October freebie shakeup. At least the rank issues there were rectified even though some of us lost both the cost of heavy promoting plus the anticipated gains from those promotions in September.

In October, same story even though the rank issue was resolved. The post-promo bump was nowhere to be seen. Again, not only never-realized gains from our monthly promo but sunk costs for the ads as well.

We did see some bit of recovery from freebie runs in November. Still, November has historically been our slowest month in the second half of the year. This year was no different, except for degree. We had 25% fewer page reads in Nov -- with promo and 3 additional new books -- than we did in July when we had no promo whatsoever.

Minimally, I'd say we're down $12,000 from expected earnings since August. We can at least take the costs of our promotions off our taxes, but the unrealized profits and the unexpected cut into the page reads counts can't be recovered.

December seems to be recovering a little more even and we're seeing a bit of improvement post-promos (we've accelerated our promo schedule to accommodate 4 campaigns through mid-Jan), but if the new normal for our page reads continues to be 30% under expectation, then we'll need to see a 30% increase in payout, not the stepped 10% we've seen these last 2-3 months to put us back on parity with what we expect to generate from KU.

·
Registered
6,005 Posts
brkingsolver said:
The evidence is mathematical. The total fund increased by $100,000, or 0.6%. The payout increased 3.57%, or six times as much.
That's not proof people are leaving. That's proof fewer pages are being read. Does anyone know how many titles were in KU in August compared to now? I know someone keeps track of it but can't remember who.

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Don't know if this is any indicator and I am just one person of course. But I have wishlists on Amazon that contain over 1000 KU books. The majority of those, 80-90% are various romance subgenres. Rest are mystery, UF.

So once a week I go on my Oasis and look through them. On the kindles one gets the KU logo right away in the wishlist, unlike on the computer. So I browse through and remove those that have dropped out of KU and put them into a "watch for Ku" list. The last 2-3 months I lost only about 5 books. Meaning only 5 out of the 1000 I am watching have dropped out of KU. I also gained about 20 in that time from the "watch" wishlist I have.

There are also no repeats on the wishlist. Meaning that those are pretty much all individual authors and individual series. I don't put more than one of a series onto a wishlist.

So as a reader in the genres I read and look at, I have not seen an exodus. Doesn't mean its not coming of course. But so far so good. The series I am reading are still in it too so far.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Amanda M. Lee said:
That's not proof people are leaving. That's proof fewer pages are being read. Does anyone know how many titles were in KU in August compared to now? I know someone keeps track of it but can't remember who.
I'm pretty sure it's Gator that keeps track.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts