Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the early '90s I was a Peace Corps volunteer (twice!) and I read soooo many books and really could have used a Kindle.

I now have a young friend who is a volunteer and I was talking to her Mom who was asking about things her daughter might need mid-service.  She (Amy, the volunteer) needs things like new underwear, shoes, shirts etc. and of course, books.  If the Kindle were readily available her Mom would have bought her one to have in country.  Yes, the Whispernet wouldn't have worked but she is able to occasionally get to a computer where she could load new books using her US based Amazon account.

So, no Kindle for Amy right now but we'll send her a bunch of DTBs.  At least with DTBs she can pass them on to fellow volunteers or to her host-country counterparts or local teachers.

Kindling in developing countries; the time is coming!

;D

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Yes, there are so many jobs and callings that a Kindle would be a perfect companion to!

I'm glad to hear about your young friend, and congratulations on your own Peace Corps service.  I have several friends who volunteered for the Peace Corps, a great experience!

Betsy

I

·
0 Posts
I was in the Navy and believe it or not, sailors are voracious readers.  There's not much to do when your surrounded by 1000s of square miles of water.  A kindle for a sailor or any one in the military would be a good thing.

Most sailors and service people in general have access to computers these days no matter where they are.  They could use the USB to get new books when ever they wanted to.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Actually, the Dept of Defense has disabled our USB access until further notice. Makes my working life hell. Powerpoint presentations are generally to large to email. I joked with the IT guys here that with USB access I could save some trees and transfer some of these files I need to my Kindle.  ;D

I

·
0 Posts
mom133d said:
Actually, the Dept of Defense has disabled our USB access until further notice. Makes my working life hell. Powerpoint presentations are generally to large to email. I joked with the IT guys here that with USB access I could save some trees and transfer some of these files I need to my Kindle. ;D
Bummer. I was going to joke about you not being able to sell secret info anymore but we don't need Homeland Security after us...too late.

I guess it does make sense to disable USB access for security reasons. I wonder if this applies to the community computers found on ships and other bases around the world?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I guess it does make sense to disable USB access for security reasons. I wonder if this applies to the community computers found on ships and other bases around the world?
Would depend on the location I bet. I know when I was in our computers were all in a secure area, so nothing could be brought in or taken out.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
My understanding is any computer that accesses the DoD Inter/Intranets has had USB access disabled. We have an "Internet cafe" here that is on a separate Internet connection that in a pinch we could still use a USB in. So, its possible there might be a few places they could. And if they aren't in a combat zone, then maybe a McDonalds, Starbucks or another "hotspot"...

I haven't heard anything official here, but I saw an article on Yahoo news a few days after we lost access saying that a few computers in the Pentagon had a virus supposedly off a USB device. Now, my question is - Why don't they have the virus protection scanning those when inserted? That's what i did in the Public Library Computer Lab...

We have been told this is temporary. but is been a month already. :(

·
Registered
364 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Yes, there are so many jobs and callings that a Kindle would be a perfect companion to!

I'm glad to hear about your young friend, and congratulations on your own Peace Corps service. I have several friends who volunteered for the Peace Corps, a great experience!

Betsy
Betsy I agree that there are many jobs and calling that having a kindle would be a great idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts