Kindle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found a forum post of someone asking for a pirated copy of one of my books--ironically it's the first in series and permafree on ~11 different legit websites. I'm of the opinion that there's only so much you can do about pirating in general so I don't get too worked up about it--but I thought this was kind of hilarious XD

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
That sounds more like an Amazon affiliate promoting your book. 
Look at the sites and see if they link back to Amazon.
Examples are OHFB and ereaderiq. 
But thank you for calling what could be promoters pirates. 
You need to send DCMA notices to everywhere you think you found your book pirated.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It's because pirates usually don't have accounts on vendor sites, so they can't download free books, and free doesn't always show up as free for all countries (like on Amazon).

·
Administrator
10,102 Posts
cinisajoy said:
Why the sarcasm? Until further evidence is offered, it seems kinder to assume that the OP hasn't made a stupid mistake.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
cinisajoy said:
That sounds more like an Amazon affiliate promoting your book.
Look at the sites and see if they link back to Amazon.
Examples are OHFB and ereaderiq.
You need to send DCMA notices to everywhere you think you found your book pirated.
Why would an Amazon affiliate be on a forum asking for pirated copies of her book? I don't get it ...

·
Registered
636 Posts
Does the forum discussion start out like this?

"I consider myself somewhat of a book nerd. haha! I read around 3-10 books every month, depending on the size of the individual books of course. It's expensive to buy all these, so I have a membership at my library. My problem is, that I can't lend the books there for more then 3 weeks. I'm going on vacation for 4 weeks in Australia, and would really like to bring some readable books with me. Is it possible to download FULL books online? I don't mind paying, I just want to bring them with me on my vacation :) I want to read XXXXX by XXXX. Thanks in advance for the help!"

These forum postings follow a formula: The conversation usually starts with "Does anyone know where I can get a copy of XYZ?" and someone else responds "Please support the author, pirating could get you in trouble," etc. A third person posts a copy of the cover and the torrent links (not affiliate links). Here's a sample:

"I really do NOT condone piracy! I've been using XXXXX for a few months already. It's really cheap, and only costs $X per book. I can really recommend the site as it contains more than 25000 books!

There may be a few other replies giving thanks.

I believe these "discussions" are scripted to boost SEO or torrent downloads (which are often associated with malware, bogus fees, etc.). When I see them for my own titles, I just file a DMCA to Google which takes just a few minutes, and move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts