Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many reasons why a person may not have jumped on getting a Kindle right away despite it clearly being such an awesome, life-changing device. Perhaps the price was too high? Maybe you thought it looked "ugly"? Perhaps you were waiting for a newer model or color? I could go on and on.

What were your reasons for waiting?

For me, I was living outside the U.S. when it first came out. I still had a U.S. card and Amazon account, but with no Whispernet access and no easy way to actually get the device shipped to me, I figured it would be better to wait.

I eventually moved back to the U.S., but at that point, I decided I'd just get a K2 instead because the K1 had already been out for a while and I figured the K2 would be just around the corner... (Hah!)

Well, I didn't make it to the launch of the K2. The Oprah sale happened, and I jumped. The K1 has been one of the best purchases I've ever made, and I don't regret it for a second.

I have no plans to get the K2, but I am eagerly awaiting news of K3 or beyond.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I had been following (and even working with) ebooks for quite awhile. I was really interested in the Kindle, but wanted to wait some to see if it really took off in a way i thought it would have longevity (and if the content would be there for it). I also wanted to hear more from people on the eInk screen.

Then, when i was about ready to buy - i ran across the iLiad and really went back and forth on it or the Kindle.. I finally decided the Kindle was the better one (content alone makes it better, but it has a few other advantages). I then waited a little to see if a new version was coming out.. got tired of waiting, decided i wanted it now, and ordered it.

I am actually glad I opted for version 1 since from all i have seen and heard, i prefer it to version 2.

G

·
When we first heard about the Kindle, there were maybe 60,000 books available, almost all either books we already owned or books we didn't care about.

It cost a LOT of money, and we aren't rich housewives with more husband-money than good sense.

You never buy a new model of car the first year it is introduced (or virtually any other technology) as nobody knows yet what the bugs are.

We're both klutzes.

We own a zillion real books for re-reading.

So we waited.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
You never buy a new model of car the first year it is introduced (or virtually any other technology) as nobody knows yet what the bugs are.
That was one of my reasons, too, along with the original $399 price.

My second reason for waiting was the white plastic case (ugh!). I figured they'd pick a better color (or offer a choice) with the next version. (Wrong!)

I talked about the Kindle all the time, and my husband kept offering to order one for me at every gift-giving occasion, but I wanted to wait for V.2. I finally let him order in early February, before the introduction of K2, figuring we could cancel the order if they weren't announcing a 2nd generation device at the Feb. 9 press conference. I was disappointed that they stuck with white plastic, but decided not to wait any longer.

And, despite my dislike of the white plastic case, I am LOVING the K2! I'm so glad I took the plunge.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I first read about Kindle in 12/07.  I never heard of it and no one I knew heard of it.  By Feb.08  I was hooked but 399.00 was a lot of money too spent just to read a book that I still had to pay for, and of course Kindle2 was coming soon.  I didn't want to buy it only to have it outdated in a short time.  So I waited and kept asking my four kids what I should do.  Do I buy it now and in 6 month have Kindle 2 come out or wait for Kindle 2.    So on May 4 at a  Sunday dinner my oldest son said the with any technology thing  there would always be a new model coming out.  My husband said buy the damn thing and you know if a new one comes out you'll buy it too so past the potatoes  (which I did on the on my way to my computer) and I got my Kindle on may 7 '08.  When Kindle2 came out I got that too.

Hey BJ   define "husband money"

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I had heard about the Kindle but didn't really pay much attention to it. I certainly didn't think about buying one. Then my daughter started talking about it and said she thought it would help her to read more. Since I am always one to encourage reading, I did my research and ordered our first Kindle on April 6, 2008. I had to wait almost a month for it to arrive. Hannah and I were going to share....well, that plan lasted about 10 days and I ordered Kindle #2 in early May. This one arrived in two days. The rest is history.

L

·
Registered
123 Posts
Money was the main factor.  I also had just become aquainted with ebooks, and started reading them on my PDA.  I also wanted to see the reviews on it and if people liked it.  I hadn't been following it much either, I didn't even know K2 came out when it did. 

·
Registered
208 Posts
I wanted one the first time I heard about it and saw the demo on the amazon website.  That was December 2007.  I did not get one because I would not spend that amount of money on myself.  I did not tell anyone (family included) because I didn't think about it due to the price (mainly)

A year later a friend of mine saw the Oprah thing and immediately thought of me when she saw it.  She was talking to me about it at a party.  I explained I was aware of the kindle for almost a year and lusted heavily for one.  My husband overheard the conversation and purchased me one for a Christmas surprise.  He ordered it on Dec. 6th so I didn't get it until Feb. 24th.

·
Registered
106 Posts
1) The price tag
2) I have 2 babies and not much time to read
3) I am klutzy
4) I was worried it would get broken

But... I bought one for my mother and after I saw how much she loved it, I had to get one for myself. I was still on the fence until I found out that we could share an account and books and that did it for me. I ordered mine the day the Kindle 2 was announced and I love it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I don't think Amazon did a great job of getting the word out about the kindle or I must have been hiding under a rock...The first time I heard of the kindle was flipping channels and saw it on oprah.  I ordered it that day and had it in my hands less than 1 week later.  If I had known how much I would really love it I would have paid for next day shipping.   

·
Registered
8 Posts
CS said:
There are many reasons why a person may not have jumped on getting a Kindle right away despite it clearly being such an awesome, life-changing device.
Hmmm, not sure I'd call it a "life changing" device, but I passed over the first Kindle due to price. I only recently bit on the Kindle 2 because the modern design appealed to me much more, and I was able to afford it unlike before.

I've had my Kindle 2 for about 4 days now, and I'm loving it so far. I'll never miss having to hold a book open again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
cheshirenc said:
I did not get one because I would not spend that amount of money on myself. I did not tell anyone (family included) because I didn't think about it due to the price (mainly)
This is the very same reason I didn't jump. With four kids, Mommy's "wants" are definitely far outweighed by family "needs". But my baby cousin (with no children) is an electronics maniac and always has the latest and greatest gadgets. I was able to impatiently wait for her to get her K2 and now I'm happily on the bandwagon.

I won't spring for her K2 for myself, but most I most likely will for my teenagers. The loss of the SD card slot in the K2 is a major faux pas in my opinion. I'm hoping when the K3 comes out it will include the slot, upgrades and the new nice ergonomic design ;)

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I didn't know about the Kindle or ebooks until I was looking at Borders or Barnes and Noble and saw the Sony ebook reader. I was intrigued and did some online research. I compared the Sony and the Kindle and was more attracted to the Kindle. I looked at the price tag and went "Nope."

When I moved into my house, I realized that I was out of book shelf space. My fiance does not read and was not thrilled with the idea of adding more bookshelves. I started thinking about that ebook reader thing again. I was a bit concerned that I would miss the feel of a book, the traditional concerns. My fiance asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said I had been thinking about buying a Kindle. So that is what I got.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I felt (and still feel) that it's overpriced.

My husband is the best gift giver in all the land.  He carefully listens and then buys the gift no matter how illogical or overly expensive.  So for Valentines Day I received a K2 and a nice fat Amazon GC.

It's the perfect gift for me.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Too expensive and still is.
I was given mine as a gift.

At $350 it is not too likely I would have bought one for myself.

Price point would have to be well under $250 for me to have bought one.

FWIW,
Eric

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Well, it took me awhile to convince my parents that to get me a kindle (they insisted on a Sony 505, but I wanted wireless). Then Oprah convinced my parents that the Kindle could be a reliable device even though it wasn't made by a company or brand that they were familiar with. Another sell point that got to my parents was the fact I wouldn't spend as much money on gas to travel from book store to book store in search for a singe book. (and they thought wrong)...now I am working on my plot to get a hold of K2. (evil laugh)

·
Registered
86 Posts
The price tag! I drooled over it when Amazon first introduced it in 2007 and waited for a year for the price to drop. When they offered the refurbs, I treated myself for Christmas. I sold it last month to help pay kor K2. Best purchase I ever made!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts