Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this is sort of rant type post. I was SO excited about the Kindle DX when the announcement came out, and when I went to share my enthusiasm, my sister and good guy friend friend had nothing good to say about it. Let's just say I was extremely sad and angry at the same. Both of them could not support my decision when I pre-ordered it, and it irked me when they both said that it was a rip-off. My guy friend, Will, asked why I didn't just use the money to get an iTouch and just download the app for the Kindle. I was fuming mad and nothing sounded right when I was thinking up a response.

There are PLENTY of reasons why the Kindle would be so worth it rather than get the iTouch. But, it wouldn't come out. Has this ever happened to you?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have had the same problem several times. One of my sisters thinks its COMPLETELY crazy, she thinks I'm nuts to spend money on a Kindle and can't understand the concept at all. I have tried explaining it a million different ways. She always says, "OK but why not just read the regular book" and I say, "why put songs on your iPod, why not just listen to the cd." We go rounds over it.

Finally I just think to each their own, and some people totally get it and LOVE it. My mom and my other sister both got k2's after seeing mine. But I have noticed the amount of people that 'love it' and 'totally get it' will far outnumber the nay-sayers.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Annie said:
Well, this is sort of rant type post. I was SO excited about the Kindle DX when the announcement came out, and when I went to share my enthusiasm, my sister and good guy friend friend had nothing good to say about it. Let's just say I was extremely sad and angry at the same. Both of them could not support my decision when I pre-ordered it, and it irked me when they both said that it was a rip-off. My guy friend, Will, asked why I didn't just use the money to get an iTouch and just download the app for the Kindle. I was fuming mad and nothing sounded right when I was thinking up a response.

There are PLENTY of reasons why the Kindle would be so worth it rather than get the iTouch. But, it wouldn't come out. Has this ever happened to you?
Someone said the same thing to me when I got my kindle! "Why not just get iPod touch???" Eh, I guess non-readers just don't get it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
koolmnbv said:
After reading your post I remembered that I felt exactly like you a while back. I also started a thread about the 'haters' LOL

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,7179.0.html

I forgot about that thread completely until I read yours and I remember how it bothered me too.
Thanks. That made me feel a lot better. I just got really irritated. Of course, neither of them are readers. I think the only person who truly thought it was awesome was my best friend, Abby. She of course has awfully similar tastes in books as I, so it made perfect sense. My parents were neutral when I told them. They know how much I love to read, so I guess both of them just kept their mouth shut since neither of them read much either. (My father reads newspapers and journals/magazines, but that's about it.)

I really want to go on a trip, just so I can bring my Kindle along. :D

I'm hoping that people will see what an awesome gadget it is. I plan to bring it everywhere. Haha.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Happens to me all the time. Especially with the audio gear I've purchased to satisfy my audiophile nature. But honestly, I don't much care anymore. Some folks will never understand, and will continue to think your decisions stupid. Don't let it get to you. It's simply ignorance, a difference of opinion, or a different set of priorities. Others will eventually discover your reasoning behind it, and change their minds. You might even end up converting some people in the long run.

Ultimately, what does it matter what other people think of you or your decisions? And if they're brash enough to insult you or a choice you've made without knowing all the facts or opening their minds to the fact that not everyone has the same wants and needs, well that just shows a thing or two about their personalities, and you may reconsider sharing a lot of things with those people in the future.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I agree with so much that has been posted here - people either get it or don't.  My Mother bought my Kindle 2 for me as a birthday present.  She said I when I described it to her, she could hear the excitement in my voice and how I described all the features to her.  She knew then that she had to get one for me.  She also got one for herself.  One of the best presents I ever received.  It helps that my Mom and I read all the time.  I like the Kindle because it does one thing well...allows me to read my books!  I don't need it for mp3s, I don't need it for technical diagrams or newspapers.  The ability to have a huge library on one device is perfect.  Dont let others influence your LOVE of something.  So many people in the world want others to feel as miserable as they are.  Enjoy your Kindle, enjoy reading and exploring the various worlds that a good book opens up for you and to hell with the critics and doubters.  Probably just jealous!  That's my two cents for what it is worth. ;D

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I think there are 2 main groups of haters

1. Nonreaders, unsurprisingly, think its not worth it. And it isn't for them. It would be like buying an expensive home entertainment system if you don't watch TV or movies. They don't understand why you read and they won't understand your Kindle.

2. People with a fetish for paper. Have you listened to these people talk about the sensual, tactile reaction they get from a paperback?  They sniff it, they stroke it, they caress it...... its kinda weird  :p

Me, I like the story/information contained in the book. And I like having thousands of them on hand when I want them.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
reemixx said:
Ultimately, what does it matter what other people think of you or your decisions? And if they're brash enough to insult you or a choice you've made without knowing all the facts or opening their minds to the fact that not everyone has the same wants and needs, well that just shows a thing or two about their personalities, and you may reconsider sharing a lot of things with those people in the future.
This.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Well, I feel the same way about the blackberry, I just don't get the hype over it. Same thing with my friends gun collection. Oh, you got a 6000 dollar shotgun. whatever.

It's hard to get enthused about something that you don't have an interest in. It's easier to just preach to the choir that love the same thing you do LOL

·
Registered
478 Posts
I think it comes down to how much you read. If you read a lot, a Kindle is better (longer battery life, larger page size, etc). If you are more of a casual reader (there is a name for such people: Philistine!), iPhone or iTouch is more versatile and therefore a 'better value.'

I would not agree that Kindle is a 'rip-off'. It seems to cost Amazon at least $200 in parts to build, and to that they have to factor in setup costs, shipping, replacement of defective units, and paying Sprint for wireless access for the life of the device (wireless access plans would normally cost the owner of the device $20/month and up). They even lose money on sales of some of the $9.99 titles, where the publisher sets the price higher than that. By contrast, Apple has much larger profit margins on iPhones and iPods; arguably that makes these devices a rip-off - but I won't make that argument, because it assumes everybody's requirements are the same, and they are not.

Different strokes for different folks...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Chad Winters (#102) said:
I think there are 2 main groups of haters

1. Nonreaders, unsurprisingly, think its not worth it. And it isn't for them. It would be like buying an expensive home entertainment system if you don't watch TV or movies. They don't understand why you read and they won't understand your Kindle.

2. People with a fetish for paper. Have you listened to these people talk about the sensual, tactile reaction they get from a paperback? They sniff it, they stroke it, they caress it...... its kinda weird :p

Me, I like the story/information contained in the book. And I like having thousands of them on hand when I want them.
This is me as well. Interestingly, I was listening to a GeekBrief podcast today and the woman who was speaking said that if you're not a reader you won't 'get' the Kindle. I am lucky, my boyfriend (not a reader) wants one so that I can convert all of his business pdf files and he can have them read to him. He'll be sharing my DX. After I got my Kindle 1, my sister and I traveled to see my youngest sister and she couldn't take the envy and splurged on one. Unfortunately for my youngest sister, most of the books she reads aren't available so she passed but understands the love. When I got my Kindle 2 and asked my daughter if she was interested in my old one, she almost came thru the phone, she was so enthusiastic. Now when she gets 'Mommy time off' we go get pizza to sit and read (and eat).

I'm surrounded by Kindle lovers--even at work. I've converted about 5 folks and the guy who got the Sony Reader even comes by for some Kindle-envy.
------
Well that wasn't too helpful, was it?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Rasputina said:
Well, I feel the same way about the blackberry, I just don't get the hype over it. Same thing with my friends gun collection. Oh, you got a 6000 dollar shotgun. whatever.
Oh nice! ;D

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
I only know two people at work who have kindles and they ordered theirs same time I did, when Oprah had the promotion.  We called ourselves the kindle sisters.  We talked each other into it.  I don't work there any more, so my only kindle friends are here.

No one else in my family has a kindle.  My mother wouldn't understand it and has stopped reading, although I have bought her a few large-print books.  I doubt that she has read them.  A few years ago I bought one of my brothers an ipod nano for Christmas and he never used it, so I'm not buying him a kindle!  I told my other brother about my kindle in November and requested an Amazon gift card for Christmas, but he ignored my request.

I don't need anyone's approval for the stuff I buy.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I've decided that I don't care if people like my Kindle or not (although I haven't had a chance to show it to many people, as I got it just before school was out for the summer). I LOVE it, especially because I always have what I want to read with me. No more carrying around 1100 page books that are so heavy that I can hardly hold them. No more being in the mood for one of the books that I'm reading, yet not having it with me. (Can you tell that I'm still in the "shock" phase of ownership? (Mine was a surprise Mother's Day present!) It will be awhile before the "new" wears off and I can behave normally.  ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My mother didn't get it.  I had to explain to her at least a dozen times.  My dad understood what it was when I finally told him, but threw a fit about spending money (he always does that no matter what is bought, and yes this could include a $.99 item, or even penny candy).

Oddly enough, they both think it's great, but mom still doesn't get it until I explain it, and dad still says "you could have paid extra on this bill instead" but that's all another story

·
Super Moderator
67,252 Posts
I have a prepared response when people say, "but I like books".  I just say, "so do I, and now I can have even more of them".*  If they go into the 'book smell' thing I bring up allergies. . . .I don't have any but oddly the folks who mention this are frequently ones who usually do grumble about them.  Sometimes that puts on a dim lightbulb for them and they leave it.  Sometimes they say "well, it's not the same".  And I say, "nope, it's not the same.  I think it's better."  That usually IS the end of it.  :D

*I was looking at my 'media library' yesterday evening on Amazon.  Turns out I have bought from them 200 Kindle items.  This includes a few subscriptions and one time purchases (note to self, pick up this week's Newsweek with Stephen Colbert as guest editor).  That's in the last not quite a year.  I've been purchasing from Amazon almost since they were born and it showed I had purchased 991 books.  I feel like I should go buy 9 more to make it a round 1000.  :D  Anyway, it's pretty clear I'm buying Kindle books faster than I used to buy paper books.  I calculate 5 1/2 per month BK and over 17 per month AK. And this doesn't even count the free stuff I've downloaded from non-Amazon sites . . . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
I figure it is a "no win" situation in getting into arguments.

When I retired, we added on a workroom/library onto the house for my building projects and books.  Always been a pack rat with my books and have a 20' X 8' wall devoted to book shelves.  The question I always got before was "why don't you just go to the library?"

The last time I got that question was from another retiree who was inordinately proud of his membership in a Golf Country Club.

I learned years ago when living outside the country.  "Taste differ"

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
How irritating to get so much criticism from clueless people. I have an iTouch and I still saved up and bought a K2 (still on Kindle watch, but it has finally shipped at least). My iTouch is nice, but it's small and it's just not a Kindle.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Annie said:

Usually, with me, all of that goes away as soon as they see it in person.

I remember gushing about my Kindle 1 when I first bought it and getting nothing but lukewarm responses in return...until I showed it to them outside on a sunny day. If that doesn't get them, whispernet, the fact it can hold 100+ books or ability to change font size does.

Seems to me like most people just can't wrap their head around e-ink.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts