Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently started recording how long it takes me to write and edit my books (not sure about Word, but Open Office tells you how long your file is open for) in order to see how much I make per hour. It's no surprise that the erotica brings in more money for the time it takes to write. Between my 2 eroticas I'm up to approximately £10 ($15) per hour, which may sound low, but the beauty of it is this number will keep rising.

Does anyone else do this? What's the most per hour you've made on one title?

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Lady Vine said:
So I recently started recording how long it takes me to write and edit my books (not sure about Word, but Open Office tells you how long your file is open for) in order to see how much I make per hour. It's no surprise that the erotica brings in more money for the time it takes to write. Between my 2 eroticas I'm up to approximately £10 ($15) per hour, which may sound low, but the beauty of it is this number will keep rising.

Does anyone else do this? What's the most per hour you've made on one title?
It keeps rising - as you point out - so you will need a Ouija board as only dead writers can answer accurately.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Lady Vine said:
The "so far" was implied...
Anyone who wants to use writing skills to make good money on a consistent basis should forget attempting to write a successful novel and consider writing and editing in specialty areas. That way you can assured of earning at least $120/150 per hour. That is providing they actually have the necessary skills. Few have.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DarkScribe said:
Anyone who wants to use writing skills to make good money on a consistent basis should forget attempting to write a successful novel and consider writing and editing in specialty areas. That way you can assured of earning at least $120/150 per hour. That is providing they actually have the necessary skills. Few have.
I really don't know what any of that has to do with my post or my question.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
The best hourly rate I've got for a single story was a short I wrote for Playgirl magazine many years ago.  It took me about half hour to write, with the time to print it and post it, still under an hour and I got paid $US100 for it.  Back then you got about $200 Australian dollars for $US100 too.  I should've kept sending stuff to them.

Oh, and extra bonus, I got a contributor's copy of the mag with hot guy pics in it  ;)

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
121.75 I think. I sold a short story that took me 4 hours to write to a magazine for 487 bucks and change.  I also sold a short story once that took me 10 minutes to write for 23 dollars, so if I extrapolated out the hourly, that would be decent, too.  I usually make at least 50 an hour on short story sales to pro markets, since they pay 5 cents a word and up and I write 1k-1.5k words an hour.

Not sure on the self-published stuff. I don't break out the # sold per title much, so I have no idea. I think I've come close to over 100 per hour on one of my lit fic short stories though, since it took me about 4.5 hours to write, format, and publish (with 3 dollars spent on cover art) and I think ballparking the sales I've made somewhere between 400 and 500 on it in the last couple years.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
The most I've made from my writing - per word - was winning a $500.00 prize for a five page epic poem on an 1812 government-funded expedition to discover the truth about the Jersey Devil.

I haven't come close to that rate with any of the stories I've ever sold.

Who says there isn't any money in poetry?
;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from these KB maniacs...lol

I have made anywhere from $0 per hour (most hours) to over $20. I just wish that I sold hundreds of thousands of books each night in my sleep, so that when I wake up my work day is over.

Dreaming is a writer's greatest strength  :D

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
I made $1,865.00 in page-view bonus money for a Yahoo! Finance article that took me half an hour to write, but that was a one-time fluke.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I love playing this game!

I wrote a short novella in 2-3 hours per day for five days. So I spent 10 - 15 hours writing and somewhere between 5 - 15 hours editing. That puts my total work at 15 - 30 hours.

Thus far that work has earned about $1400 so I earned $46 - $93 per hour during that time. I had no idea when I was sitting in that library that I was on $46 per hour!

The good thing is that the book keeps making money. By the end of my life perhaps I'll be up to $1000 per hour...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't keep track? I don't think if I tried to write down start/stop times I'd remember, and going by the time a program is open.... Scrivener is open on this PC right now as I type this. It was also open while I cruised several other internet sites before coming here.

If my rough guesses as to time writing, revising, editing are in the ball park, my bestseller has made me $60/hr to date, and my slowest seller (I'm only counting books that have been out at least a year), $18.00. That's a pleasant surprise. I expected the answer to be less than minimum wage.  :D

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
When there's work available, I usually make between $25 - $40 an hour as a freelance ghostwriter. That work has been steadily drying up for a year, so I actually pay more of my bills self-publishing these days. The most I've ever made in one hour was when I did a job for a technology website that I can't actually name in this thread for obvious reasons. I wrote an article about drone technology that took about an hour, and I was paid roughly $140. I was like  :eek:

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
I can't answer this until I un-publish my books permanently. They're just ... out there ... forever. Some selling fewer than 1 per month, others are selling so great I shouldn't complain (but I have my tough days).

Per hour? I don't know.

Maybe $100.00 per sad little teardrop? LOL.

·
Registered
366 Posts
David J Normoyle said:
Well I'm not close to paying off editing and cover art costs so my dollar per hour is about negative a billion.
The same here, and the devil is knocking at my door, demanding to be paid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts