Kindle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have personal issues with Smashwords, and I don't particularly want them to make a dime off of anything I write.  But......is it possible to get a title on Amazon free from the Smashwords site without going to Barnes and Nobles or Kobo?

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
The only way to go free on B&N is through Smashwords, but you can go free directly on Kobo or iTunes. (However, you need a Mac for iTunes.)

Kobo is by far the easiest one to deal with. Easier than KDP even (although the fact that every change generates a new product link -- there's no permalink -- is asinine).

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I've only ever gotten them to match to BN but others have gotten it with Kobo or iTunes.

After watching a bunch of threads, it seems to me the more that author sells, the more active Amazon is with listings, and the more likely they are to price match something quickly, to any retailer, or even at all. Some books get matched in day, others take months. Reporting it doesn't really seem to be a factor, although definitely do that, and definitely have people in other cities/locations report it.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
The only way to go free on B&N is through Smashwords, but you can go free directly on Kobo or iTunes. (However, you need a Mac for iTunes.)
Wait what? Through Smashwords distribution you can immediately price a book for free to B&N?
I was under the impression only Apple store would go direct free and the rest had to domino price match.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
SBJones said:
Wait what? Through Smashwords distribution you can immediately price a book for free to B&N?
I was under the impression only Apple store would go direct free and the rest had to domino price match.
Amazon is the only store that price matches. B&N does not. If you do not distribute through Smashwords (setting the price to free there), then your book will never be free at B&N. You can't do it directly, and they don't price match.

Kobo and Apple both allow you to set the price to free directly. For everything else (other than Amazon), you can use Smashwords. Then you just sit around and wait for Amazon to price match B&N, Kobo, or Apple. They won't price match Smashwords.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone, I'll try Kobo first then do Smashwords to get it free at Barnes and Nobles if I must.  It's sounds like now would be the time to do it since I just came off of a big promo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts