Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang!
I have been toying around with putting my library in some kind of indexable order. I had some software a long time ago that was designed for personal libraries but I don't know what happened to it (or for that matter which of my computers I put it on).

I am wondering if any of your have had an experience with any personal library software. I want to be able to catalog my DTBs, my eBooks and my Audiobooks. I love that I can archive my Kindle books but then when I am trying to remember if the book I am looking for is in my eBooks, or my DTBs my mind goes blank! Plus my library has grown well beyond my original genres so my memory just can't keep up.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I don't want to pay an arm and a leg but I am looking for something that is robust enough to give me what I need.

EDIT: I am using Windows XP.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
You didn't mention what operating system you are using....

On my iMac, I use Delicious Library. It is a visual library, and you can use the Mac's built-in iSight camera as a bar code scanner to speed up your cataloging. $40.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
you can use the Mac's built-in iSight camera as a bar code scanner to speed up your cataloging. $40.
I didn't know that! That is so cool!

I've been using Filemaker Pro since the early 90s. I enter my ebooks into it, also. It's not cheap, though. I'm still using a very old version. ;D

Mike

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I just use an Excel spreadsheet.  In addition to book name and author, I keep track of category/genre (I have 6 or 7 main categories that I use to classify them according to how *I* think of them), series, format type (PB, HB, K or KS (Kindle Sample)), and cost (only used since getting the Kindle), as well as having a column where I can keep track of whether PB/HBs are available in Kindle format (for those I want to get on Kindle eventually), whether I need a book (for instance, if I'm missing one in a series), and a column for miscellaneous notes.

I can sort books however I want (usually by category, then author, then series), I can search for info however I want. I don't have bells and whistles I don't need, like ISBN or publisher or covers or some arbitrary category that doesn't make sense to me.  I looked at some of those online places, like Goodreads and Shelfari and Library Thing, and those are cool, but just don't have the customization/organization to fit my personality/needs.  So I just keep using my spreadsheet. :)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For my ultimate needs/desired Excel will not fit the bill. I have an Access Database for my reference books but I am looking for something a bit more robust. I know I could get Excel or Access to do what I want but to make that happen I would have to put more hours in than I want to in order to code all the functionality.

I was just looking to see if anyone had experince with some of the products I see out there. The Delicious Library looks nice but I don't have a Mac...they seem to hate me. I touch them and they well...die.  ???

·
Registered
607 Posts
I use readerware software. It's a decent program, windows based, and one can use a bar code scanner to input books. They have matching programs for videos & music. If you get the program bundle on CD they give you a free bar code scanner. If you don't do their free cue cat program, give me a shout, I can ship you mine if you need it.

http://www.readerware.com/

Lara Amber

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm...I know I have a cuecat someplace, I will have to look for it.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
You didn't mention what operating system you are using....

On my iMac, I use Delicious Library. It is a visual library, and you can use the Mac's built-in iSight camera as a bar code scanner to speed up your cataloging. $40.

Ok I liked the idea of Delicous Library....but I wasn't going to buy it because I thought it was too expensive. Then they added it to the Macheist bundle (you get a ton of programs for like 39 bucks.) So I snatched it up!! Now I have to go scan some books! :)

http://www.macheist.com/bundle/u/162589/

·
Registered
400 Posts
For the Mac, there's also a program called Bookpedia, which will also use the iSight to scan barcodes. I like using Bookpedia, it allows me to separate out my collection from the kids' collections and so on, and there is a (free) companion app for the iPhone called Pocketpedia which lets me see, while I'm at a bookstore, if my kid already has that book, or whatever :)

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Steph H said:
I just use an Excel spreadsheet. In addition to book name and author, I keep track of category/genre (I have 6 or 7 main categories that I use to classify them according to how *I* think of them), series, format type (PB, HB, K or KS (Kindle Sample)), and cost (only used since getting the Kindle), as well as having a column where I can keep track of whether PB/HBs are available in Kindle format (for those I want to get on Kindle eventually), whether I need a book (for instance, if I'm missing one in a series), and a column for miscellaneous notes.

I can sort books however I want (usually by category, then author, then series), I can search for info however I want. I don't have bells and whistles I don't need, like ISBN or publisher or covers or some arbitrary category that doesn't make sense to me. I looked at some of those online places, like Goodreads and Shelfari and Library Thing, and those are cool, but just don't have the customization/organization to fit my personality/needs. So I just keep using my spreadsheet. :)
I do what Steph does. Excel works for me.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I use Readerware for my books, CDs and DVDs.  The problem I'm having is remembering to log them in...

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I also use Readerware.  One of the things I like is that as I buy books from Amazon, I can click and drag the web page into Readerware and it catalogs it.  When I remember.  I can also do this from Manage My Kindle page, one book at a time to catch if I forget.  No typing.  And the scanning works well.  I have a batch scanner so I can wander around the house scanning books and then hook the scanner up to the computer and they batch in.  But I'm going to check out BookCat.  Love learning new software.

Betsy

·
Registered
426 Posts
Can someone tell me what the benefit is to using something like Readerware versus using something like LibraryThing?  I'm looking at different options. :)

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
DawnOfChaos said:
Can someone tell me what the benefit is to using something like Readerware versus using something like LibraryThing? I'm looking at different options. :)
librarything you have to be on-line. this is problem for me with speed and access and internet costs, but probly accessible away from home via Iphone or such... Readerware is a purchased program right? on your computer and accessed anywhere you have your computer.
my thought

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
One of the things I like about Readerware is the Palm component so I can have my book database on my Palm for when I'm shopping (although this may be less important now that I've got the Kindle).

Betsy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts