Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
David Gaughran says to personalise your mailchimp signup form.

How?

The form has a pretty basic design. I don't want to collect any info that I'm not going to do anything with, and in the header I already mention what readers will get if they sign up.

I'd dearly love to add some graphics to the form, like some book covers or a suitably sf-nal picture as  background, but cannot find how to do this.

How do you personalise your mailchimp signup form?

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I used a graphic I had made for Facebook to pretty mine up. You can see it here:

http://eepurl.com/q9_2X

I'll go see if I can find how I did it and report back, unless someone beats me to it. BRB.

Okay, I think it's here that has step-by-step directions: http://kb.mailchimp.com/article/how-do-i-build-and-design-my-signup-form-and-response-emails#design

After signing into Mailchimp:
Click on Lists
Choose one of your lists (changes will populate to all lists) and click the pull down menu next to STATS
Click Signup Forms
Under General Forms, click Select

There you will see the list and options to 'Build It', 'Design It', and 'Translate It'. On the right side you'll see the option to upload an Image. You'll have to fumble with it a few times to get the right size, etc.. but if I can figure it out, anyone can!

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've seen that, but I have no idea how to upload an image, because it doesn't actually ask me to upload a file. When I click that option, I just get some weird MMERGE3 code in the fields.

I don't grok this.

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jljarvis said:
Mine is: 600px × 278px. The 600px width fit the width of the form. I don't remember what limitations there are on height.
Thanks. You'd probably want to limit height anyway.

Awesome.

*trundles off to Photoshop*

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
scslawin said:
In the long term, you guys should really consider hosting your sign-up forms on your own domains. Then you can customize them to your heart's content.

Steve
I am kinda leery about hosting my own email list, because forms present a way for hackers to get into your site, and I don't have the web-fu to keep them out.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
I am kinda leery about hosting my own email list, because forms present a way for hackers to get into your site, and I don't have the web-fu to keep them out.
First, you wouldn't host your own list, only your sign-up form. Second, all forms are not vulnerable. Third, the vulnerabilities usually exist on the site where the form is posting TO, which would still be MailChimp. You simply load the form HTML onto your own page and the form's POST still posts to MC. But if you ever have to change providers or whatever, you never lose control of your e-mail sign up form, and you never have to re-do all of your links.

But if you're not comfortable with it, that's a whole different matter. I've been designing web pages since the first graphical browser came out, so to me it's nothing but for those with little experience, it may seem much more daunting.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
When I move from a free blog to a hosted solution next month, I've already planned on putting the HTML in. I don't know much about web design, but it was pretty simple to do. Until I realized that free wordpress blogs don't allow it. I am dreading the switch though, I did some reading and it seems I'm going to have to do some form of coding to export and import properly.

SLAMS head into desk.

THUNK!!

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I designed a fair number of web pages in the early days but not so much recently. To keep up with all that is possible, and all you should do to keep your site up to date requires more time than I have.

Now that I've started to outsource formatting, web stuff is the next thing I'll outsource.

·
Registered
13,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
K.B. Nelson/Parker said:
When I move from a free blog to a hosted solution next month, I've already planned on putting the HTML in. I don't know much about web design, but it was pretty simple to do. Until I realized that free wordpress blogs don't allow it. I am dreading the switch though, I did some reading and it seems I'm going to have to do some form of coding to export and import properly.

SLAMS head into desk.

THUNK!!
Duh! I already have a signup form on my blog.

*headdesk*

This is just the link that goes from Amazon. In my books, I link foremost to my website, which has the form. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to find a page of mine that doesn't have the form.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Patty Jansen said:
I designed a fair number of web pages in the early days but not so much recently. To keep up with all that is possible, and all you should do to keep your site up to date requires more time than I have.

Now that I've started to outsource formatting, web stuff is the next thing I'll outsource.
Well, I've got nothing but time. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. So I'm loaded with time!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
K.B. Nelson/Parker said:

SLAMS head into desk.

THUNK!!
I've never had a big problem helping others move from free Wordpress hosted to self-hosted Wordpress. I host at HostGator (great hosting, BTW) and here's a link to their instructions for moving:

http://support.hostgator.com/articles/specialized-help/technical/wordpress/transfer-wordpress-from-wordpress-com-to-your-self-hosted-wordpress

Seems pretty simple, unless you're doing something funky.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts