Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 185 Posts

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that every time someone tells me the name of their pet, they have to explain the story behind the name.

Some of them are inspired and/or hilarious... some have very complex origins... hardly any are conventional or traditional anymore! Not a single Fluffy or Spot; I wonder if those names really only exist in literature now.

Want to tell us the unusual name of YOUR pet, and its origin?

Some of my favorites of the ones I've heard....

A stray that had a habit of lying on his back on the sunshine, and repeatedly rolling over.... Beethoven.

A kitten who never stopped begging at the table.... Baksheesh.

A dog whose coat was part cream, part light brown, and part dark brown... the three colors of chocolate..... Tobler.

The first female cat in a household of half a dozen male cats, acquired at the same time the space shuttle had its first female commander (July 1999).... named after the shuttle's payload.... Chandra.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
One of my golden retrievers is named Thanda (the 'h' is silent); it is Zulu for love - we lived in So. Africa/Zululand for a year.
Another pet's name was Somi - a white cat with very blue eyes - the word is blue in Zulu.
And Thanda's son, another golden, is named Bear (or Oso) because he's just so big!

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
My golden retriever is named "Raney", after the title character in the Clyde Edgerton book. It's one of my wife's favorite books.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Max came to us with his name; I liked it and he seemed to know it, so it stuck. Buddah, OTOH, was named "Professor" at the SPCA and it didn't fit at all. If anything, it was irony, because I truly thought he might have been dropped on his little head a few times too many. My son was exploring Buddhism at the time and wanted to name him Buddha; I agreed as long as I could flip the a and the h.

When I was little we had a cat name Ataturk. My dad didn't really want a cat, but the rest of us did, so he agreed as long as he got to name it anything he wanted. We brought home this sweet little girl tortie, and he took one look and named her after a Turkish president.  :D

I think she resented it, because from then on she was grumpy as all get out; preparing me, I think, for life with Max...

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
My cat Pumpkin had the name Fluffy from the previous owner. She's soft, but I didn't think it suited her and renamed her Pumpkin. She's BIG and heavy. I was given another kitty with her whose name had been Sparkles (kids gave those names). I renamed her Oreo. Poor Oreo had IDB and two years after the diagnosis and lots of care, she crossed the rainbow bridge last December.

Pumpkin:

Oreo:

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
This was Oreo when she was a reader:

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Previous two kitties from same litter were Strawberry and Mookie. I got them in 1988 and named them after Mets baseball players Darryl Strawberry and Mookie Wilson, although Mookie cat was a girl. Here's my angel cat Strawberry:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Thumper said:
Buddah, OTOH, was named "Professor" at the SPCA and it didn't fit at all. If anything, it was irony, because I truly thought he might have been dropped on his little head a few times too many.
Buddah could be related to my cat Zazzer Zoo (a child's version of Zizzer Zazzer Zuzz). I always said that on the cat intelligence scale, Zazzer was a -8 and most people who met her agreed. For 10 years Zazzer lived with me an and the most intelligent animal I've ever had, a black cat named Spooky - she came to me with that name.
I also had the sweetest black lab you would ever want to meet named Ferocious - named by another person who wanted people to think she was a protector. Another child named one of my cats Bowen which was her way of saying bowlling.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I don't think I have any great naming stories. Now, nicknames...

I've been calling my current Sheltie, Ferguson, Fergie Schmergie, which sounds like he was named by the Swedish chef on The Muppets. The rescue called him Buddy.

Our greyhound came to use as Goldie, and we renamed her Rhiannon, which nobody can remember. 90% of the time, we call her Pony.

The dachshund is Violet -- I was hoping the name would chill her out, as in Shrinking Violet! Hah! I call her Violence -- or Vivian, which is what my  mother called her to, I think, just to  infuse it with an extra implication that my grandmother treats the dog like she's human. Which, yeah.

We have one cat left -- Dixie. She hated me, so I call her Ditzy.

We had a stray that we took in named Jack, only because we didn't plan on keeping him. He was known as Jack the Ki'y Cat, Black Jack Shellack, and -- from the night he wouldn't stop pacing across our backs while we tried to sleep -- War's-Over-Jack, War's-over!

Mitzi who was named after my grandmother, but I'm not sure either was flattered. Mitzerella.

Cindy the Sheltie was actually Cinderella. I called her Cindy-Bears.

Zelda/Grannie -- an ancient mess of a Sheltie who came into the shelter. If I didn't take her, nobody would. She was just a mess! I'm not sure which on of those names was the nickname -- used  interchangeably.

Paddington the Shetie was often called Paddywagon because my grandmother couldn't recall his name. I might have, on occasion, called him Honeybunches of Paddywagons of Oats. Or Joy.

Then there was Riley. Another Sheltiie. My angel. He got called Rileton. Riles. Lord Riley, Cookie Boy, The Good Cookie Boy... I was just ridiculously crazy about him. I love all my pets, but I'll never stop missing him. 

·
Registered
364 Posts
My Golden Retriever's name is Cedar...when my previous Golden was dying of cancer, we were having a deck built and were sitting out on it one day talking about how it was time for her to go find a new puppy body to come back in and her fur was the exact same color as the wood of the deck we were sitting on, so decided her next name would be Cedar.  But the joke was on me...because Cedar is *not* St. Cassie come back!

My Maine Coon cat's name is Friday.  She was named when we rescued her last January...evidently, the woman who had her originally brought her home on a Friday; hence the name.  I added Princess to it...so she's now Princess Friday the feline imp.

Sharyn

·
Registered
150 Posts
It took me 3 years to talk my DH into letting me get a pug as he didn't want a little wuss rat dog!  I figured after all that I better give him an un-wussy name, so Spike was my first pug.  When said DH fell so in love with pugs that we HAD to get another - Bruiser came into the family and both dogs took over!  I've never heard another word about little wussy rat dogs!  LOL!

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
My mutt's (Aussie Cattle Dog mix) name is Noggin, which is what his previous owners named him and which I kept for continuity's sake when I adopted him from the animal orphanage. I suspect the name was in response to the way his head stands out due to its coloration, but then for all I know it was somebody's favorite TV network.

My sister-in-law called him "Nog Dog", and I'll occasionally use that, too (and thus my web user name, which I started using when "Noggin" was already taken on a site). My favorite nickname for him, however, is "The Nogginator."

·
Registered
780 Posts
My beloved Westie was named Duncan Seinfeld Macduff.  He was only six weeks old when he came to live with me and a ball of energy like you have never seen. He was at me constantly to play, cuddle, eat, poop, and interact in any other ways possible. The only time I had a break was once weekly when Seinfeld was on TV.  That little white fluffball would sit motionless in front of the TV spellbound!  He crossed the Rainbow Bridge two years ago and I miss him as much as ever.

·
Registered
9,357 Posts
I had a beautiful shelter cat with 6 toes on both front paws - his name was Dac since he was polydactyl!  A couple of weeks ago it made the folks on the grammar thread groan, but I brought home a grey tiger stripe kitten and named him Peeve (so I would have a pet peeve).

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Meet Alexander the Grate, so named because he arrived by jumping through a window screen I opened for him, to escape our three huge dogs. He was a tiny thing, but he actually ran them off. He's still a tiny thing, calm, sweet, and in charge.

Here he is making some kind of statement about a house guest:

Here he is playing with his good buddy, Ignacio Zaragosa, aka Nacho:

They really are good buds. Here they are in someone's lap:

And here he is combing my grandson's hair, very gently. The grandson thought this was a hoot.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I love pets, nics pics everyone

·
Registered
695 Posts
Well, I have a Ragdoll cat named Andy .. as in Raggedy Andy.

My other cat is named Binky. When he came to me from the shelter as a foster kitty he came with a little purple teddy bear that they said he loved. They had given it to him to keep him company, he was sick with an upper respiratory infection for a long time at the shelter and was in isolation. I called it his binky so the name ended up transfering over to him, then of course I adopted him.

Nothing really behind the names of my dogs, Rosie, Tucker & Miles.

Here's my Binkster

1 - 20 of 185 Posts