·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
I'm of two minds with this.
I agree that seven days is too much. Many readers take far less than that to get through a novel. Not to mention that it takes certain individuals about five minutes to copy a book and return it.

However, as someone here in another thread pointed out, I'd rather have a return than a bad review.

Rather than change the time period, I'd like to see a very strict policy of dealing with 'repeat returners'.  And an "are you sure" button when purchasing.

G

·
I don't think this is enough of a problem to warrant a petition.  I sell anywhere between 70 to 100 ebooks a month right now on the main Amazon site, and I rarely get any returns.  I don't deny that some people might be abusing this policy, but as it stands, I think it's better to trust the readers.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Quiss said:
I'm of two minds with this.
I agree that seven days is too much. Many readers take far less than that to get through a novel. Not to mention that it takes certain individuals about five minutes to copy a book and return it.

However, as someone here in another thread pointed out, I'd rather have a return than a bad review.

Rather than change the time period, I'd like to see a very strict policy of dealing with 'repeat returners'. And an "are you sure" button when purchasing.
There is already a strict policy dealing with returns - Amazon are not foolish when it comes to something that might lose them profit. I posted about it recently in a similar thread. We tested it and quickly got a warning letter from Amazon. Ignoring the letter had the account closed within days.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
There are always going to be people looking to buck the system. Some will see a 7-day return policy and instantly think FREE BOOKS! They'll order, read, return like wash, rinse, repeat ... and if I'm reading DarkScribe's post correctly, they'll eventually get busted and their account closed.

I adore Amazon's customer service -- I've yet to really experience better, truth be told. I've had issues with products and they are always helpful and considerate. But I'm not a "bucker" ... so their policies benefit me, which is the whole point. The honest customers benefit from having Amazon on their side. It brings them back and makes them choose to spend their money there over anywhere else.

If someone buys my book ... reads it and returns it ... can that really be helped? No, not really. But I've never had a single month "in the red" and that counts for something.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I can't see Amazon being panicked by a few indies threatening to sell only paperbacks if the returns system isn't changed. The idea is risible. Amazon rightly puts its customers first, which is a big part of why it is so successful - and as DarkScribe says, Amazon's no fool.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I wouldn't touch the return policy. Making things easy and convenient for your customers results in more sales in the long run.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I've only returned a handful of books in the 5 years I've owned a Kindle.

All were due to egregious editing issues that kept me from reading the books.

The books were priced high enough that I wanted my money back.

You can return most things if they are broken when you buy them. Why not books?

The # of days Amazon allows for returns is irrelevant. You can buy a book, download it onto your Kindle, then turn off your wi-fi and return the book. The book can't be deleted if your Kindle is not connected.

There are other tricks, but I won't go into them because I don't want to give anyone ideas.  ;D

I would assume that Amazon is watching accounts that have constant returns, but I don't know.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not needed, IMO.  I've been selling through Amazon for a couple of years now.  Historically, my books have experienced a return rate of just below 1%.  This month:  897 sales through Amazon... 9 returns.  Slightly above the average, but still darn close.

More importantly, as others have already noted, Amazon keeps a close watch over serial-returners. 

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think our feelings about return policy are largely irrelevant, and I see petitions as a waste of time.  *Of course* writers don't like returns, and the execs at Amazon and every other retailer know this. There's nothing new here, and a petition is not going to solve anything. Rather than worrying about returns, my advice would be to worry about the quality and integrity of the stories we publish. The rest will take care of itself.

·
Registered
12,230 Posts
Definitely not signing. I've accidentally one-clicked way too many times and bought books I've had to return. The easy return policy is reassuring for customers and I'm more interested in pleasing the majority of honest people than inconveniencing everyone for the sake of the very small minority of cheaters. Read-and-returns really aren't a big enough problem right now to be concerned about IMO. If they ever do grow to a bigger percentage, I'm sure Amazon will take action on it's own.

·
Registered
614 Posts
There's no reason on earth to sign this thing.  Somebody who returns too many books is going to have his account closed, and that's good enough.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
This is the same as pirates. Anyone who is going to abuse the system is going to find a way to abuse it no matter what you do. I think Amazon has already struck an appropriate balance. Not worth the effort, IMO.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Amazon will know soon enough the readers/returners trying to game the system.

I read an article, and listened to a report on NPR some time back that indicated Amazon tracked when an ebook was read, where a reader stopped reading and started again, etc. I am sure that this is tied to their policy in some way.

Here's the NPR article: Is Your E-Book Reading Up On You?

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
TWErvin2 said:
Amazon will know soon enough the readers/returners trying to game the system.

I read an article, and listened to a report on NPR some time back that indicated Amazon tracked when an ebook was read, where a reader stopped reading and started again, etc. I am sure that this is tied to their policy in some way.

Here's the NPR article: Is Your E-Book Reading Up On You?
Well, they use this, in part, to let you know how long it will take you to finish a book. How else they use it? Only Amazon knows....

Betsy

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
I want Amazon to manage the return system to maximize total Amazon sales. They are selling a product. The production process doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts