Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an animal lover, so I enjoy reading books where the characters have pets. I also like to read about quirky pets. I'm currently writing a sequel to my horse lover mystery (sadly not available on Kindle until my publisher changes her mind). Anyway, of course I have horses in the book, as well as dogs, and a few cats. But I was wondering if any of you on Kindleboards would like to have your pet appear in my book. If so, tell me about your pets, quirks and all, and I will choose some to be in the book--with your permission. Names can be changed to protect the guilty if you like. I did this in another book I'm working on. My sister will have no idea that the two beastly Chihuahuas who torment the main character are her own two precious pups--because I cleverly changed their names. Ha-ha. Hope she doesn't read this post.  ;)

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
LC - I know some authors like to read others books, and some don't, but Thumper has a couple of really great "cat" books, actually MAX has written some really great books, you might enjoy

Not sure I would call Max quirky - but then guess I could since I probably would never meet him, I hope I hope I hope ;) ;)

BTW Max owns Thumper, and she is one of our very own authors :)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I definitely do read other authors--in fact I read a lot. These books by Max look really good and I just got samples. The animal characters in my books are not main characters or speaking characters, they are just pets owned by the humans. Sometimes these pets can get into things and cause problems. Quirky pets are especially fun to write about.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I recommended these to a couple of cat people (normally i would say owners but  :-\ ) who were both new to the kindle and they loved them.  I am not a cat person I have dog furbabies but that's mostly because of DH and I absolutely giggled throughout!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
You can put my dog in your book if you want. His name is Zippy, and he's a pug. He licks things obsessively. People, pillows, the side of the house, the porch, an ant bed... He also eats anything, at least he did as a puppy. We don't buy him fancy dog beds or pillows because he chews the seams open and pulls the stuffing out. Then he eats the stuffing, and the synthetic fibers come out in his poop, and that's just gross.
We used to have to sometimes go outside and pull on his poop with a paper towel or something, because it was hanging on from the fibers in it, and he'd panic when that happened.
He also used to eat any kind of paper or cardboard. He's a pretty smart dog, but there is one thing that he's really dumb about. DH will run around the house (you know, around the "circle" - down the hall, into the living room, through the kitchen, and back into the hall), and Zippy will chase him, and then DH will pull the baby gate across the entry to the kitchen. Poor Zippy will jump up on it and whine and cry, even though he could just go back around the way he came. Mean ol' DH will just stand on the other side of the gate and laugh at him!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Well, I have 5 cats and 2 dogs..All of my cats are "unique" However, 1 usually stands out as "quirky"

I have a psychotic, bi-polar, multiple-personality cat who chases me around the house, attacks me through the crack in my chair (sitting there, watching TV, minding my own business and then WHAM! I'm getting stabbed in the butt hard enough to draw blood through jeans!) and sleeps under the blankets curled up next to me. Her name is Hope, but we call her Achmed the terrorist. She lives upstairs in my bedroom, will not go downstairs at all and if she knows we're home she'll sit at the top of the stairs waiting for us to come up.

She follows us into the bathroom and will curl up in my husband's pants (ie underwear) while he's using the toilet, and go to sleep. Yes..I know..TMI. If we're in the shower, she'll sit on the windowsill and wait for us to get out. Then she'll start crying..but when we go to pet her, she runs off.

She also has to come over and see whatever it is we're eating. If we don't let her sniff it, she sits there and gives us dirty looks. She almost never eats it (unless I have bread and butter..she loves bread). She'll just sniff and walk away.

Achmed keeps us on our toes that's for sure. She is the strangest cat I've ever shared a home with.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The aforementioned Max (I'd call him snarky. Definitely snarky) was the model for the cat in my books As Simple As That ("He's not a cat...he's Satan wraped in fur...") and Finding Father Rabbit. He has not been informed that I used him thusly, because he'd probably demand some sort or payment. He still hasn't forgiven me for spending all the money from his first book.

What? Stop looking at me like that...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Both Zippy and Achmed sound like pretty weird pets. I have three Chihuahuas--sort of 4 since I'm dogsitting one for daughter--and they're pretty sweet, but not all that smart. They love to cuddle and follow me around. There is a cat that hangs around our house and also makes the rounds of the neighbors. We all take care of him. His name is Vinnie and he's about 17 years old. Very neurotic animal. He cries and cries to come in the house and we won't let him in because he beats up the dogs and jumps on the counter tops and gets into everything. But if it's cold or raining we let him in the garage where he often cries and cries to go out. If you try to pet him, he usually smacks you and gives you a dirty look. He also likes to kill moles and mice and leave them on my back step. Once I caught him killing a small rabbit and took it away from him and set it free.
I look forward to reading about Max.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Jackie is not exactly a pet, but a squirrel that we started feeding a couple of years ago. She eats faster than any animal I've ever seen. She can eat 3 peanuts in the time it takes the others to eat one. Once she stopped cold in the middle of eating one, and then made wheezy sounds. It took me awhile to figure out that she was choking. I thought about trying to help her (squirrel Heimlich?) but couldn't decide how. The whole time, Jackie was sitting there completely still except for drooling and wheezing...with a death grip on her half-eaten peanut. I knew it was bad when she finally dropped it, and it rolled clacking--quite dramatically, as if in a cartoon--across the sidewalk. Finally, with a loud cough, she dislodged the obstruction and, without missing a beat, hopped over to pick up the dropped peanut to resume eating just as fast as ever. It took me few days to remember what that reminded me of--the squirrel and the acorn from Ice Age.

N :)

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about pet parrots? My mother's family used to have a parrot that would repeat everything they said about people. So visitors to the house might find out that the family thought they were too fat, or a drunk, or whatever. Finally my grandfather got tired of worrying over what the big-mouthed bird was going to say next to embarrass them, so he gave the parrot away to a stranger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts