Kindle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have discovered what appears to be websites setup to provide free book PDFs. They appear to be infringing my copyright on one of my books.
Anyone had any experience with them and what I might do to stop them. They include a DMCA tab which seem to lay out a procedure to get them to cease, or is this just a phishing scam, as well?

Does any indy publishers here know anything of:

www.ebookmakes.com

ebooksumo.com

Edited to break the URLs, because don't want to be upping traffic to questionable sites. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

Registered
Your recourse is to issue a DMCA notice. That does involve providing certain personal details, including name, address & telephone number. I have done this on a few occasions (not for those sites) and have always had success.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathy Dee said:
Your recourse is to issue a DMCA notice. That does involve providing certain personal details, including name, address & telephone number. I have done this on a few occasions (not those those sites) and have always had success.
Thanks for your help, Kathy. Should my books be registered first with DMCA? As an Australian, who has published on Amazon US, do you know if am I able to use that service? If so, I am concerned about providing the requested 'physical or digital signature' and possibly losing access to my work, ID theft, and my meager income. Have you provided that info before?

BTW, they claim to have 10million free ebooks for downland in PDF and they provide a search capability.

Registered
L.E.Glazebrook said:
Thanks for your help, Kathy. Should my books be registered first with DMCA? As an Australian, who has published on Amazon US, do you know if am I able to use that service? If so, I am concerned about providing the requested 'physical or digital signature' and possibly losing access to my work, ID theft, and my meager income. Have you provided that info before?

BTW, they claim to have 10million free ebooks for downland in PDF and they provide a search capability.
You don't need to use any service. You can simply send them an email; that is exactly what I did. Here is the exact text I used ...

DMCA TAKE DOWN NOTICE

My name is YOUR NAME. I am the AUTHOR of TITLE OF BOOK and the owner of MY WEBSITE. A website that your company hosts is infringing on at least one copyright owned by my company.

The unauthorized and infringing copy can be found at:

https://www.website.com/page.html

This letter is official notification under Section 512(c) of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), and I seek the removal of the aforementioned infringing material from your servers.

Please be advised that law requires you to remove or disable access to the infringing materials upon receipt of this notice.

I am providing this notice in good faith and with the reasonable belief that rights my company owns are being infringed. Under penalty of perjury I certify that the information contained in the notification is both true and accurate, and I have the authority to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright(s) involved.

Should you wish to discuss this with me please contact me directly.

Thank you.

YOUR NAME

YOUR ADDRESS

YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER

YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS

Registered
I only checked out the first one, but I highly doubt they have your book. They just scrape listings and try and trick people into giving them info and money. The sites that let you download without signing up are the ones that actually have your book.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
K'Sennia Visitor said:
I only checked out the first one, but I highly doubt they have your book. They just scrape listings and try and trick people into giving them info and money. The sites that let you download without signing up are the ones that actually have your book.
Yes, I wondered about that and tend to agree. I think that Kathy's cease and desist email could even include a follow up demand requiring them to provide a list of the numbers of free downloads which were enabled through their website/s.

The weird thing is, I have spent a lot of money to give away my book for free through advertising promotions - these guys do it for me, for free...

Registered
These sites spring up like mushrooms and constantly scrape Amazon for new books (the first book I ever published under this pen name, with zero online presence, was up on them within days). Issuing cease and desists is a waste of time, my advice is to just forget about them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts