Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a complete newbie to this.

I posted here before about the best options for self-publishing for print and CreateSpace seemed like the one most people agreed was the best option. I have an appointment for a phone consultation 7.5 hours from the time of this post -- not a promise to pay anything, JUST a consultation. (Also the email I got said I'd be contacted by a John Mark Schuster... has anyone worked with him before?)

I have my own list of questions, of course, but are there any details I should ask about that might not be things a newbie to publishing would know to ask?

My goal is to get an approximate evaluation for two of the books I have that are close to the point where I can publish, I just need information on how to produce the illustrations and some other technical details. The funding for this project will be done via kickstarter. I'm going to go through what kinds of services they offer, what they recommend for both of my projects, and what their print publishing options are like.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
877 Posts
I wouldn't recommend using them for anything other than the publishing itself, and then paying $25 for expanded distribution.

With the caveat that this is all personal opinion here are the things you need.

If you are unsure if your books are ready for publication, join a critique group, either inline or in person. I am an online member of Critique Circle and quite enjoy it, but there are many others. Find one that fits your tastes.

Once you've confidence that you're ready, hire an editor. I'd recommend making an appointment with the editor while you are still working through the critique process. Most good ones are booked a few months out. Do a search here on "editor recommendations" and you will see several threads exist where many of us have offered insight into who we've used and liked. Depending on your budget, and the length of your project(s) you can expect to pay anywhere from $300-$1200 and up for this stage. Be sure that you get sample edits from several editors, and really find one who will be a good fit for you.

I believe from your other thread that you are capable of doing your own artwork, as far as the specifications, once you know what your final page count will be, you can download a template for free through createspace that will be the exact size needed for your artwork, with mapped locations for spine, barcode, bleed, etc. The page number is important, because it determines the spine width. If you are not doing a wraparound artwork, you can download one and just leave yourself room to expand a solid colored spine.

Here is the template page link
https://www.createspace.com/Help/Book/Artwork.do

The final thing you may or may not need is a formater. I believe you can spend between $30-$60 for this service if you contract it yourself. Createspace does offer templates for Word that can guide you in this area as well to do it yourself.
https://www.createspace.com/Products/Book/InteriorPDF.jsp

Take a look at what CreateSpace charges, and I think you will see that your best option is to find your own professionals.
https://www.createspace.com/Services/PublisherSolutionServiceTable.jsp

One of the first things you need to learn to do if you are going to be successful in this pursuit is to not throw money at all the wolves who are more than happy to take it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! That's super helpful.

As for finding my own editor... is there a good way to go about doing that? Because I have two good friends (one of whom happens to be married to me) who are talented editors... one is a professional publisher (owns Storm Moon Press) and the other is finishing a teaching certificate for AP-level English.

Also, is there any reason for me to look for an agent if I'm publishing through CreateSpace?

·
Registered
877 Posts
Only you can answer the agent question. My personal opinion is "not at this time, maybe never"

If you start selling thousands of copies a month, you may want to reevaluate.

Regarding the live in editor -- again, only you can answer that. There are generally going to be times when you editor needs to suggest things you don't like. For everyone's health it may be best not to have to sleep next to them immediately afterwords =)

Get a sample edit from the editors you know, and the ones you don't. And then truly compare them and see what each can offer you. There are yellow pages here that list editors, and if you do a thread search (There is a search box on the top right of these forums) on "editors" a wealth of information will come up.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you! :)

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Don't pay them to do the work for you. What the others said is how I feel.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are there any services CreateSpace offers that are of a quality I SHOULD consider including in my budget, then?

How about their marketing/distribution or ISBN? Or that... thing where they make the book able to be sold to libraries? (Thatsounds like an oddly BS kind of thing to me, but I don't really know and haven't successfully been able to figure this out clearly...)

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Another plus to Kwalker's advice.

Use them to publish and distribute.  Look elsewhere for any other services like covers or formatting.  You'll most likely be able to do both better and cheaper.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All righty. I will keep this VERY strongly in mind when I speak to them, thanks. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts