Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to suggest a photo sharing website for a semi-professional organization I'm on the board of (pardon the awkward grammar).

I'm familiar with a lot of them, but thought I'd see what feedback the wonderful KindleBoards members can give me.

Criteria: 
must be able to store high rez images and have capability to store a lot of them,
must be able to organized by events. 
Tagging would be good, though some of our users aren't really that sharp.  ::) 
Free is good but not essential, though we don't want to spend TOO much of the members' money. 
Editing online not important
Must be reasonably easy to use (see above).

Betsy

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Depending on the precise needs and the geek-level of at least one person in your group (or willingness to hire one for a little bit), you could always just get your own server space (probably a shared or "virtual dedicated" host) for anywhere from $5/month on up, buy a domain if you don't have one ($10 or so per year?) and install an open-source image gallery such as Coppermine, and configure it to do whatever you need.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I have to suggest a photo sharing website for a semi-professional organization I'm on the board of (pardon the awkward grammar).

I'm familiar with a lot of them, but thought I'd see what feedback the wonderful KindleBoards members can give me.

Criteria:
must be able to store high rez images and have capability to store a lot of them,
must be able to organized by events.
Tagging would be good, though some of our users aren't really that sharp. ::)
Free is good but not essential, though we don't want to spend TOO much of the members' money.
Editing online not important
Must be reasonably easy to use (see above).

Betsy
I use (and love) Smugmug.com . It fits all your criteria, except it isn't free -- there is a yearly charge. You can create different galleries (for your case you can call them events). The basic version can store hi-res (though not RAW images without going to the pro level), you can tag and edit online, you can even order prints off the site. I find it easy to use, but I'm a geek so YMMV.

www.smugmug.com

**spam alert** if you decide to go with it, you can enter this coupon akrk4ed4d1gRw in the referred by field and they'll give you (and I) a slight discount.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendations so far, Sharyn & SixNSolid!  

Sharyn--you're talking about the  Picasa Web Albums?  I use them myself, and I think it's great.  It's definitely one of the ones I'm comparing.  We're gonna need more than the standard storage, but $20/year for 10GB isn't bad.

SixNSolid--I haven't looked at Flickr Pro; I know the White House is using Flickr for photo streams, I'll have to look at it!

I'm also looking at pBase and Photobucket, of course.  Ease of use and organizing is very important!

I forgot to mention, Mac & PC compatible if there's a software component, though my preference would be for it to be completely web based.

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DawnOfChaos said:
I use (and love) Smugmug.com . It fits all your criteria, except it isn't free -- there is a yearly charge. You can create different galleries (for your case you can call them events). The basic version can store hi-res (though not RAW images without going to the pro level), you can tag and edit online, you can even order prints off the site. I find it easy to use, but I'm a geek so YMMV.

www.smugmug.com

**spam alert** if you decide to go with it, you can enter this coupon akrk4ed4d1gRw in the referred by field and they'll give you (and I) a slight discount.
I am also looking at SmugMug, free is less important than ease of use. If we go with SmugMug, I'll use the coupon!

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NogDog said:
Depending on the precise needs and the geek-level of at least one person in your group (or willingness to hire one for a little bit), you could always just get your own server space (probably a shared or "virtual dedicated" host) for anywhere from $5/month on up, buy a domain if you don't have one ($10 or so per year?) and install an open-source image gallery such as Coppermine, and configure it to do whatever you need.
NogDog, thanks for adding that possibility. We have access to server space through our webmaster, a member of our group who has his own tech company, so that's a possibility. I'll look into it. We do want to do things simply though, and our director may not want to add to Ron's workload, as he's doing all the web stuff for free. But I'll definitely look into it, it's an idea I hadn't considered.

Thanks!

Betsy

·
Registered
257 Posts
sharyn said:
The only thing I don't like about Flickr and some of the others is that people have to create an account and log in to see your pictures. ???
No they don't. But they do have to have an account and login to comment on them. The default setting is for anyone to be able to view them, however you can make them private if you want.

Betsy: I've been using Flickr for a couple of years and have a pro account. I'd say it's the best of the best, but then I'm a little biased. There's not much you can't do on Flickr, though. You're able to organise and manage photos very easily.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
Oh, why couldn't I have waited just another two days to open my photobucket account, so I could have benefited from this great thread...  ::)

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the ringing endorsement, Thumper!   ;D  Idiot proof is good, we have some real non-techies who need to be able to access it.

I know the White House uses a Flickr photostream--you can go to www.flickr.com/whitehouse and see pics, so I thought you must be able to make the photos public.  

Public viewing is not so important for us, we want this, at least initially, as an easy way to share photos for our website, our historians, our newsletters, and our printed directory instead of sending discs around.

Susan, it's not too late to change!!!!

Getting a lot of good feedback here, thanks!

Betsy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts