Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I said I'd post some photos when I got back from my trip. I had the best time!!

If anyone has a recipe for traditional Czech goulash - bohemian style with the dumplings please let me know!! It was delicious and not really like Hungarian goulash at all.

Here is a link to photos from Dresden: (all the night photos are from the window of our hotel room - I loved the view!!) also - some photos in this album are from the Meissen porcelain factory and from the castle in Moritzburg
http://picasaweb.google.com/kandcats/DresdenGermanyNovember2008?authkey=KHz6JpMkuhA#

Here is a link to photos from Prague:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kandcats/PragueNovember2008?authkey=WjSbEJunHcQ#
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
This is the Frauenkirche, right? And the dark stones are the ones that were reused from the original construction?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leslie said:
This is the Frauenkirche, right? And the dark stones are the ones that were reused from the original construction?

Yes - that is exactly right. It is absolutely beautiful. No photo can do it justice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,280 Posts
Kirstin said:
Yes - that is exactly right. It is absolutely beautiful. No photo can do it justice.
Now people will want to know the story, Kirstin! Do tell, please...

L
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,676 Posts
Great photos.  Looks like a wonderful trip. 

You can Google for the recipe.  You'll probably find a dozen different "traditional" recipes with noodles or dumplings. 

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Leslie said:
Now people will want to know the story, Kirstin! Do tell, please...

L
You can probably do it more justice than I can!!

Basically - and very abbreviated - when Dresden was bombed in Feb 1945, the Frauenkirche survived but the heat from the fires of the city buring made the church explode. The rubble remained in place for years. Citizens of the city started a movement to rebuild the church and people helped to catalog all the stones that were in the rubble and when the church was finally rebuilt - beginning in 1993 and ending in 2005 - they used as many original stones as possible and you can tell them because of the dark color where they were stained from the smoke and fires.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gertiekindle said:
Great photos. Looks like a wonderful trip.

You can Google for the recipe. You'll probably find a dozen different "traditional" recipes with noodles or dumplings.
I have googled and found a few but none seem quite like what we had at a little restaurant not far from the palace called Restaurant A Vinarna u Ciasaru. YUMMY!!
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
63,461 Posts
Kirstin, welcome back!!  We missed you.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

How was it travelling with your Kindle?

Lots happening here while you were gone.  We're gonna have Book Clubs!

Betsy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Betsy the Quilter said:
Kirstin, welcome back!! We missed you. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

How was it travelling with your Kindle?

Lots happening here while you were gone. We're gonna have Book Clubs!

Betsy
Thanks Betsy! The Kindle was a lifesaver on the planes and for helping me relax when I couldn't sleep in a strange bed. ha ha

I am trying to catch up on reading posts but there were so many!! I know I missed some stuff but I did see the book clubs!!
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Lovely pictures, Kirstin. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. Funny, none of the pics are of you though......lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LuckyRainbow said:
Lovely pictures, Kirstin. I am so glad you enjoyed your trip. Funny, none of the pics are of you though......lol.
Thanks LR! yea - no pics of me - I hate being in front of the camera - I like to take the pics! There are plenty of Chris looking cold or standing to the side waiting for me to stop clicking though! ha ha
 
B

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Totally understand. There is a reason everyone here has seen both Jim and Pippin but not me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LuckyRainbow said:
Totally understand. There is a reason everyone here has seen both Jim and Pippin but not me.
and the squirels! I did post a photo of me in "what do we look like anyway" and that is probably the only one that will ever be seen....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,250 Posts
Cool trip. I am from Bavaria, right on the border to Czech republic, in fact my fathers family fled from Sudeten Deutschland when they made that strip on the border czech, he was nine years old. Eger or Cheb is about 5 miles from where I come from. I could literally walk over the border when I was a kid it was so close. Sounds like you had a great time.

I am cooking Goulash right now  :D. I am making it the way my mom told me. She said a Hungarian cook told her. I serve it over noodles.

I just fry the meat over high heat in batches, take out, then I fry some onions, then add the bell peppers, fry some,  put the meat back in, I sprinkle over 3 TB of sweet delicacy hungarian paprika. Now its really important to use the right paprika. I put in one cayenne pepper whole, or 2. Or use powder.
I fill water in until the meat is covered, simmer it down until most fluid is gone, add water again, simmer down again. I have it lightly bubbly. Lid open. I do that several times. The more often you do it, the more flavourful the sauce gets.

Thats about it, I serve over buttered noodles. Now I have recipes somewhere that all are a bit different, I can look for more in my german cookbooks. Goulash was served at least once a week at my house and its one of my favorite dishes of all time.

I also love Szegeniner goulash. I don't think I spelled that right  :D

Now I have good czech friends through my mom who is in Germany, I can ask her for a recipe too if that isn't what you like.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Atunah said:
Cool trip. I am from Bavaria, right on the border to Czech republic, in fact my fathers family fled from Sudeten Deutschland when they made that strip on the border czech, he was nine years old. Eger or Cheb is about 5 miles from where I come from. I could literally walk over the border when I was a kid it was so close. Sounds like you had a great time.

I am cooking Goulash right now :D. I am making it the way my mom told me. She said a Hungarian cook told her. I serve it over noodles.

I just fry the meat over high heat in batches, take out, then I fry some onions, then add the bell peppers, fry some, put the meat back in, I sprinkle over 3 TB of sweet delicacy hungarian paprika. Now its really important to use the right paprika. I put in one cayenne pepper whole, or 2. Or use powder.
I fill water in until the meat is covered, simmer it down until most fluid is gone, add water again, simmer down again. I have it lightly bubbly. Lid open. I do that several times. The more often you do it, the more flavourful the sauce gets.

Thats about it, I serve over buttered noodles. Now I have recipes somewhere that all are a bit different, I can look for more in my german cookbooks. Goulash was served at least once a week at my house and its one of my favorite dishes of all time.

I also love Szegeniner goulash. I don't think I spelled that right :D

Now I have good czech friends through my mom who is in Germany, I can ask her for a recipe too if that isn't what you like.
AWESOME!! Thanks so much!! The goulash that we had was not served over noodles but was served with dumplings on the side that looked like slices of bread. The dumplings (IMHO) is what made the dish - you could sop up all the delicious sauce with them. you wouldn't have the recipe for them would you? (hopefully!! crossing fingers!!)
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top