Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Kindle buddy, Linda Cannon-Mott, has inspired me. Here is my first tutorial, and believe me, I know the quality is garbage. However, it was my first time at it, so I figure it can only get better from here on out. I will re-do this one after I get better at it. Clicking the link will take you to YouTube; I am talking to Harvey about being able to embed directly in the post.

• The video is fuzzy.
  • I stammer.
  • I bang my mouse on the table a lot.
  • My desktop is visible (sloppy, sloppy).

Anyhow, here you go:

How to Create a Amazon Picture Link on the KindleBoards - Firefox Edition

·
Registered
113 Posts
No way!  I thought you did a great job!  I am one of those people that has to see it done to figure it out instead of just reading.  Thanks a lot, this will help me and I'm sure some other people. 

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Great job!!!  I didn't know how to do this before but I do now after watching your video...I'm learning so much on this board...Thanks 

·
Registered
829 Posts
I didn't get to watch it.  :(  I'm trying to get flashplayer to download.

I did read the thread that inspired you though and downloaded Mozilla rather that fighting with IE which I tried to do before. Mozilla is much easier.  Mozilla just won't let me watch YouTube but IE did...  waahhhh  I wanna see pidgeons video!!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yey!  I got to see it!  and for some reason I think I know who Pidgeon voted for!  I'm so sluethy!!  :D

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
That is so well done, Verena! That is a great resource for introducing people to our Linking tool! You should be an instructor. Or maybe a help desk professional!  :)

I am working on being able to embed YouTube videos directly into posts. It will probably take me into the weekend but it should be available soon. In the meantime, Verena's link will take you to YouTube where it an be viewed there.

Fantastic!!

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Kirstin said:
I didn't get to watch it. :( I'm trying to get flashplayer to download.

I did read the thread that inspired you though and downloaded Mozilla rather that fighting with IE which I tried to do before. Mozilla is much easier. Mozilla just won't let me watch YouTube but IE did... waahhhh I wanna see pidgeons video!!
I watch videos on youtube all the time from Firefox. You can't download them from Firefox if you're using v. 3.0. If I want to download, I'll open IE, do a load of laundry, knit a pair of socks, write a chapter or two, and check to see if it is open. Then I clean out the attic, organize the garage and check again to see if IE is open yet. I've been using Firefox for several months, every since IE let in a ton of viruses that nearly destroyed my computer, and needless to say, I'm very happy with it.

Pidgeon, great tutorial. I think I've got it. I see where I was making my mistake (or several of them). Thanks so much for doing this.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Pidgeon92, here's the problem I'm having...when I click on the linkmaker, down where it says preview/test area there is that dreaded red x. I go through all the steps correctly then when I preview on board my book shows up as a red x. I'm using IE.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Kindled Spirit said:
... I go through all the steps correctly then when I preview on board my book shows up as a red x. I'm using IE.
The link to the image is mal-formed. It has to start with HTTP and end with a supported image file extension such as GIF or JPG. Check to see if you're getting the whole URL

Jeff

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
That is great, Pidgeon! Thank you for that video. What a talented group of people we have here!

L

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jeff said:
The link to the image is mal-formed. It has to start with HTTP and end with a supported image file extension such as GIF or JPG. Check to see if you’re getting the whole URL

Jeff
Jeff...the problem is occurring even before I go through all the steps. When i click on the linkmaker page itself the red x is already there. Down at the bottom where it says preview/test area :-\

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
You're using Internet Explorer, right?  That's because there is no image generated yet.

First put a ASIN or ISBN code in the box where it says Enter ASIN. You'll have to delete the text that is already there.  This is necessary even for cover images.

Then, in the box that says "Image URL" paste the URL of the cover image you want to use, hopefully of the same book whose ASIN you used, LOL!

Then click on Create Kindleboards Link.

The red x should be replaced by your image.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Kindled Spirit said:
Jeff...the problem is occurring even before I go through all the steps. When i click on the linkmaker page itself the red x is already there. Down at the bottom where it says preview/test area :-\
Betsy may have addressed the real issue in her post and I may be misleading you since I've had problems copying the URL from Amazon's site because they're so long.

When you open the page, the red x is there because Harvey didn't put a real URL in when he created the script. He did that so that no bogus information might be accidently generated. As Betsy said, once you've entered a valid URL to an image and have updated the form the image will appear.

Jeff

·
Registered
629 Posts
Jeff said:
Betsy may have addressed the real issue in her post and I may be misleading you since I’ve had problems copying the URL from Amazon’s site because they’re so long.

When you open the page, the red x is there because Harvey didn't put a real URL in when he created the script. He did that so that no bogus information might be accidently generated. As Betsy said, once you've entered a valid URL to an image and have updated the form the image will appear.

Jeff
Sorry guys :-[ I've followed all steps carefully...still no pic. when i post and hit preview just that stupid red x :'(

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Kindled Spirit said:
Sorry guys :-[ I've followed all steps carefully...still no pic. when i post and hit preview just that stupid red x :'(
One possible reason: It's easy to not copy the entire URL for the image when you're using Internet Explorer. Try this: (Bear with me, we'll get this figured out!)

I've bolded the sections to pay particular attention to, that can cause the symptom you're describing. Try it! And let us know if this works for you!!

- Right-click the product image on Amazon.
- Select properties.
- In the Address (URL) section, carefully select the entire URL. The text may have to scroll a bit to select it all. Note that the URL should start with "http://..." and end with ".jpg"
- Press Ctl-C to copy the URL
- Paste it into the LinkMaker Image URL field
- Press the Create KindleBoards link button
- You should now see your image in the preview area!

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Also, if you try it again and it doesn't work, try replying here and pasting the image link you're trying to use so we can see what's wrong with it (also post the book and ASIN/ISBN-10 number you're working with).

We'll figure out what's going on!

Betsy

1 - 20 of 130 Posts