Kindle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a pretty interesting article: Northwest Missouri State U. Tries E-Book Readers, With Mixed Results. My old school, Northwest Missouri State University in Maryville, MO, is testing out a pilot e-reader program with Sony E-Readers this year. Dean Hubbard says he's a devoted fan of the Kindle, and has pledged never to read a non-electronic book again. (Go Dean Hubbard!)

I've thought for awhile that the Kindle's upcoming textbook version would be perfect for NWMSU. Students rent books each semester instead of buying them (MUCH cheaper), and if they could rent a textbook on the Kindle for a semester, with the option to buy if they'd like, it would be terrific. I noticed in this article that students couldn't do things such as highlight text with their Sony Readers, which was a definite downside. Maybe they'll adopt the Kindle textbook version when it's released so that they CAN highlight, add notes, etc... (maybe the Sony Reader can add notes -- not sure)

Megan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
MeganW said:
Students rent books each semester instead of buying them (MUCH cheaper)
I wonder if renting the books means the author/publisher gets less money?

If so, I'm guessing there are a lot of professors who would not like this idea. At least in my field of study there were quite a few professors who wrote their own book and that was the required course material. And of course some would make minor changes and require the new edition every year so you couldn't even buy someone's used book. They made lots of money from this practice, enough to keep us all in Oberon covers for a long time. There are some who wouldn't want to loose their extra income.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wonder if the more frequent cash stream from the rentals would actually boost their revenue.  I'm not sure they capture any monies from the used book trade.  Rentals would eliminate that.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sony seems to be trying to make inroads in the education market with projects like this. They also had something last semester in collaboration with the English department and the library at Penn State.

L

1 - 5 of 5 Posts