Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5,241 Posts
I have no problems with shared kindles, I do it myself.  It's no different than me reading a paperback and then handing it to my wife.  I've had more than one reader write to let me know they bought a book and then pestered their spouse/child/parent/cousin to borrow and read it.  I'm 100% cool with this.

As for the returns, I would ask what proof you have that these are fake returns?  We hear that a lot on these boards, but the bottom line is that Amazon doesn't share return data so it's all speculation.  

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Robert Stanek said:
As far as I know, Amazon has no program in place to identify return fraud for e-items. A program should be put in place.
I disagree. I've worked for large retailers and they always have plans in place to deal with return fraud. They just don't publicize them. There's another thread here on kboards where one person outed themselves (in another fora) as a serial returner whose account got whacked by Amazon. As sellers on Amazon, we are essentially just vendors peddling our goods through their engine. They're under no obligation to give us any details for their 'secret sauce' so to speak.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Robert Stanek said:
As an author and the creator of the works, I absolutely have the right to question fair use and the absolute right to discuss policies that I do not consider fair use.

Amazon has the means to provide change that would be more consistent and in keeping with fair use.

To be clear also, Amazon already provides such options -- it just provides them to an elite class of the very few.
Yes, and you also have the option to not sell on Amazon if you don't like their rules. Does it stink that Amazon offers options to larger publishers that it doesn't offer to KDP? Sure. Am I going to get my feathers ruffled over it? Not really. Offering a bigger customer better incentives isn't exactly a new business practice. Personally, I'm very happy with Amazon. They are, IMHO, easily the most indie-friendly large market out there. Should that change in the future, perhaps I shall reconsider, but the option is always there for me.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Robert Stanek said:
Would you tell something similar to workers on strike because they don't get health benefits from their employer? Easy enough to tell someone to quit their job and find another. Hard in actual practice.
That's a bit of an apples and oranges argument against this. To be fair, though, in some circumstances I would. I've been there and have survived it.

Robert Stanek said:
As I said before, as an author and the creator of the works, I absolutely have the right to question fair use and the absolute right to discuss policies that I do not consider fair use.
Nobody is saying you don't. However, there is the reality that in order to do business in certain ways and/or markets, you have to accept the terms of others. I've dealt with Amazon outside of being an author. They are very much an online version of Walmart in that they really don't negotiate. It's their terms or the highway unless you bring some serious muscle to the table. I once represented a billion dollar manufacturer at the table with them. My boss's attitude was "We're XXXXX, they need us." Guess what, they didn't. In the end it was their way.

I'm not saying you can't question. But you're not selling on your own website. You're selling on theirs.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
cinisajoy said:
Craig makes a very good point. I have 5 devices myself. Strictly for my own personal use.
Oh and Craig, you are not the only husband/wife set with separate accounts. We do too. I actually read one book across 3 devices. My regular kindle for outside/fire for inside/K4PC for the pictures.
I have several that I am reading on both the fire and the kindle.
I sometimes wish we did...some of the recommendations Amazons sends to me. ::)

But chalk another up here. In my household:
4 iphones
3 ipads
2 Kindles
1 Kindle Fire
1 Android Tablet
3 Laptops
1 Desktop

(I *think* Jeez, maybe I need a technology intervention.)

Oh and 1 Amazon account to rule them all.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
I'm pretty sure I NEVER said it wasn't a big deal....
Awesomely said, Julie.

I will add one additional point to this, those who sample via pirate sites and then go on to buy afterwards / become loyal customers. It happens. I've been contacted by people who've gone down this route.

There is no blanket statement you can put out that covers all downloaders.

Sure some are in it for the free stuff. It stinks, but these people weren't going to purchase anyway so I won't lose sleep over them.

Some do as you say, Julie, resort to pirate sites because they simple can't get something easily in a legal format. (Likewise, I've had a few readers in countries where I'm not sold contact me via this way. All that tells me is to stop underestimating which markets to be in and get off my butt to ensure as wide of a distro as possible)

etc etc.

The reality for me is the only ones I'm about to condemn are the ones profiting off of me / selling goods that aren't theirs to sell. As far as I'm concerned they're the true problem.

The rest is annoying at worst, harmless for the most part, and can even be helpful at times.

· Registered
5,241 Posts
cinisajoy said:
Now as far as re-reading books goes I have read the original Cheaper by the Dozen and also Belles on their Toes at least 6 times over the years. I read Autopsy by Michael Baden at least 4 times.
So yes some people do read books more than twice.
I re-read Stephen King's IT at least once a year. Getting to the point where my paperback copy rains confetti when I open it up. ::)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.