Kindle Forum banner
81 - 87 of 87 Posts

· Registered
2,642 Posts
cinisajoy said:
I do believe I said I read across three devices not read it three times. I put it on my kindle touch, my kindle fire and my kindle for pc. I read part of it inside on the fire, then had to take the dog out so synced it on my touch, when I went back in, I resynced on my fire. And because the pictures were all older, they were hard to see on the fire and the touch so looked at all of them on the k4pc.

Now as far as re-reading books goes I have read the original Cheaper by the Dozen and also Belles on their Toes at least 6 times over the years. I read Autopsy by Michael Baden at least 4 times.
So yes some people do read books more than twice.
I never even read your post, so I certainly was not talking about you,. Ditto to Julie. ::)

· Registered
6,686 Posts
cinisajoy said:
I do believe I said I read across three devices not read it three times. I put it on my kindle touch, my kindle fire and my kindle for pc. I read part of it inside on the fire, then had to take the dog out so synced it on my touch, when I went back in, I resynced on my fire. And because the pictures were all older, they were hard to see on the fire and the touch so looked at all of them on the k4pc.

Now as far as re-reading books goes I have read the original Cheaper by the Dozen and also Belles on their Toes at least 6 times over the years. I read Autopsy by Michael Baden at least 4 times.
So yes some people do read books more than twice.
Cheaper By the Dozen! Belles on Their Toes! Even better than Cheaper by the Dozen? I think so.
Have you read Daddy-Long-Legs and Dear Enemy?
I'll bet I have read each of those books . . . gosh. Lots of times. So many times.

And on my Amazon account, I have my Kindle, my husband's Kindle, and my mother's Kindle. Yep, three devices. I called Amazon to make sure it was OK to share the books across them, and I was assured that yes, it was fine. Plus I read on my iPhone and my computer. Five devices! If I had bought paperbacks, my husband and I would have shared them, and I'd probably have loaned them to a friend, too, if they were good enough. More eyeballs on a book = Good Things. That's why I offer free books.

Also, I don't worry much about piracy. Or returns. My returns have held steady for a while now, something like 1.2%. (Closer to 2% at the beginning.) I expect it. I don't worry about why. Some people didn't like the book. Fine. Some people got the wrong book--thought they were getting #1 and got #3 instead, or whatever. Also fine. Some people clicked in error--what are you gonna do? And some people are abusing the system. How many? Not very many.

Same with pirates. My latest book was pirated within 24 hours. Yeah, it makes me kinda sad, but people who buy pirated books . . . they know they are buying pirated books. They are not going to buy your books. I could spend my time sending out take-down notices, or I could write a new book. I know which one I'd rather do.

(Which is not saying it is OK to do. It is not OK to do. I do not buy pirated books or music or movies, never have. But there is a fraction of people out there who think "all content should be free." You bet I disagree with them, but they are a tiny minority. I think most readers get that authors and musicians and filmmakers WORK to produce their stuff.)

· Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
JanneCO said:
I'm with Robert 100% on this. That's pretty much all I'm gonna say about it because for some reason, this forum thinks piracy is no big deal. But whatever to them. I think Pirates are scum and I use DRM and Muso. People read the books once. Twice, maybe, if they are big time fans, three times on three devices? Right.

Thanks for the great thread, Robert. Keep on it.
Thanks, JanneCO!

· Registered
9,036 Posts
Nope. Already countered.

CraigInTwinCities said:
P.S. Someone above stated that people "only" read a book 1-2 times. I'm not at all in favor of the idea that one should limit how many times a book can be READ. That's worse than even the most restrictive DRM stuff out there! If I've paid for a book, and it becomes a favorite book, I should be free to read it as many times as I want... whether someone thinks "people never re-read favorite books" or not!

· Registered
211 Posts
JanneCO]People read the books once. Twice said:
I never even read your post, so I certainly was not talking about you,. Ditto to Julie. ::)
No...you weren't talking directly about those people. You did, however imply that nobody would ever read a book more than twice, and anyone who said that they did was lying, and was actually pirating the book. I believe you lost yourself some readers. Congratulations...keep up the good work! Between you and Robert Stanek, I now have 2 more authors on my never ever read list--why would I read a book by any author who automatically assumes I am a thief and a liar? (...and just so you're clear on this, I know that neither of you called me, personally a thief and a liar...instead, you called everyone who shares an account or reads a book more than twice thieves and liars)

Shari

· Registered
699 Posts
I've read books multiple times, and on multiple devices (phone, tablet, laptop, kindle). Before all the electronic gadgets I used to do the same with paperbacks, but now it's easier to read on whatever device that I'm carrying with me.

Also, people rip DRM so they can have a copy of the book, not one that they've paid for to be left in the cloud and subject to whatever whim a company like Amazon may have. I buy my books so I can download them where possible. Then I can store them the way I want to.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.