·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow. Just. Wow. Pixel of Ink is no more. :(

From their site:
All Good Things Must Come To An End

Dear Readers, Authors, Family & Friends,

Over the past 6 years we've loved sharing our Kindle book addiction with all of you. It's been fun being a part of your lives as you discovered great books, new favorite authors, and enjoyed the ever sought-after Book Hangover. Those are the best!

As with all beginnings, there have to be endings.

Pixel of Ink has been a joy to create, run, and share. It's indescribable to have been able to reach to so many people, and affect so many lives in such positive ways.
Due to changes in the eBook world and in our life, it is time for us to move on, and Pixel of Ink must now end.

Again, thank you for taking this wonderful journey with us. Pixel of Ink would never have been what it was without you.

Sincerely,
Sharon & David
Pixel of Ink
http://www.pixelofink.com/

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Whoa! They announced they were planning to re-open advertising slots earlier this month, too. =(

Many of you have been eager to hear when we will have advertising spots available and we are happy to share that time is almost here! We will send an announcement a few days prior to opening. So, stay tuned for more details on that front!
Something dramatic must have happened to change it so quickly. Elizabeth's theory could be right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It's more shocking to me is that a website owner with that much stake would simply put a closure notice on their front page rather than selling the brand to another party for a few hundred thousand or whatever it's worth.

Silly, silly peeps  :p

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AuthorX said:
It's more shocking to me is that a website owner with that much stake would simply put a closure notice on their front page rather than selling the brand to another party for a few hundred thousand or whatever it's worth.
I agree with this to some extent. They may have had offers from companies that they didn't want to have access to the emails lists they built over time. Someone may have bought the list and they are keeping it quiet. The site, the content, the email lists, the traffic, they are all worth money. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Elizabeth Ann West said:
EreaderIQ is also no longer able to be an Amazon Affiliate. :( not sure they are related, but very odd coincidence. Those two sites have been around long as I can remember. EreaderIQ is going subscription, not closing down yet. Sad to hear about POI.
I also heard that, along with Fussy Librarian having issues with the affiliate program.

I'm heavy into affiliate marketing and managing but I knew that Amazon is fickle and can change their decisions to enforce their TOS or not in a heartbeat. That is one of the reasons my sites do not only rely on the Amazon affiliate program for revenue, no matter how much authors wish all book promotion sites could.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
How to dominate the world in three steps:

1. Create a really easily-implementable affiliates system.
2. Allow a lot of powerful lists to become dependent on affiliates that funnel a gazillion customers to your site.
3. Wipe out the lists one by one. Customers are all yours.

*curtain falls*

Crap about POI. I was looking forward to buying an ad spot.

ETA: The Sequel: Amazon vs Bookbub.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
G

·
Patty Jansen said:
How to dominate the world in three steps:

1. Create a really easily-implementable affiliates system.
2. Allow a lot of powerful lists to become dependent on affiliates that funnel a gazillion customers to your site.
3. Wipe out the lists one by one. Customers are all yours.

*curtain falls*

Crap about POI. I was looking forward to buying an ad spot.

ETA: The Sequel: Amazon vs Bookbub.
#nailedit

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Oh, eep.  I wasn't thinking about Amazon smacking down BookBub.  I was thinking about BookBub being the only site with a chance of taking on Amazon.  I really want to see them be able to start their own standalone wide e-book store, and give Amazon a serious run for their money.

Anyway, yeah, Patty, you really nailed it.  :)

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Mark E. Cooper said:
Bookbub and other sites "can" survive without affiliate income, but only by raising prices or adding sponsors/advertising to their emails...

Oh look, Bookbub has ads at the bottom of emails now. I bet they are going to offer authors ad space... oh look, they just did :p
We'll see a lot more of this.

In the interview with MD, I was hoping Kate would say that they're looking into a long-ish term project to offer books directly from their site. They're well-placed to do that.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
It's a real shame. Pixel of Ink was a real champion of indie work, always treated authors fairly and decently. Too many sites today are about the quick buck, way overcharging for pretty meager results. Pixel of Ink took a very different approach and will be sorely missed.

Good luck to Sharon & David in whatever they do next.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Mark E. Cooper said:
Bookbub and other sites "can" survive without affiliate income, but only by raising prices or adding sponsors/advertising to their emails...

Oh look, Bookbub has ads at the bottom of emails now. I bet they are going to offer authors ad space... oh look, they just did :p
Oh, good point! You think that might be because of the Amazon affiliate problems? That did happen relatively shortly after Amazon started doing stuff.

·
Registered
6,549 Posts
UnicornEmily said:
Oh, good point! You think that might be because of the Amazon affiliate problems? That did happen relatively shortly after Amazon started doing stuff.
I think so. I clicked a BB book cover the other day and didn't notice an affiliate tag. It wasn't a free book. I might have missed it, but I remember looking for it because of the TOS stuff going around lately.

·
Registered
741 Posts
What a shame, I wish Sharon & David luck. From every author I have heard from it seems they had a very personal attention service.

What really amazes me is how many sites depend on the Amazon affiliate program as their only means of income.

·
Registered
13,324 Posts
Vinny OHare said:
What a shame, I wish Sharon & David luck. From every author I have heard from it seems they had a very personal attention service.

What really amazes me is how many sites depend on the Amazon affiliate program as their only means of income.
I'd be interested then, Vinnie, since you're in that industry, what you see as alternative income stream. I feel that already a lot of sites charge too much for what the results are worth, so I doubt there is much room for them to move.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.