Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to know as I need alternatives for Amazon who has taken up the habit of rejecting some of my stories.  ;D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
*shakes head at swolf*

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure ARe will carry everything, either. It may depend on what you're being rejected by Amazon for. Also, I don't know what you write, but sales there seem to vary from genre to genre. I've done very well on ARe with my m/m, but my het erotic romance doesn't do very well, and my "regular" romances stopped selling entirely once the first month was up.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Yeah, if you're regularly running into trouble getting your stuff approved by Amazon, you might not have a ton of luck with ARe.  They're stricter on content than the Zon.

·
Registered
35 Posts
When I get done with my select period I'm leaning towards going through smashwords so I can have access to eros: http://www.ebook-eros.com/cms/eros_publish/Publish-at-eBook-Eros-with-Smashwords/1.html

I'm torn because I'd actually rather be with draft 2 digital but I think smashwords is the only site that will give me access to eros and I don't want to have a bunch of different channels. Anyway it's a suggestion.

And I admit I'm curious to as to why Amazon is rejecting you. I write consensual non-consent stories and haven't had any problems (although I really stress the consensual part in both tales) and I've seen some pretty edgy stuff on here.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Smash takes anything.

BN hasn't been very picky either.

I find the most limiting site is AllRomance, then Amazon, then iTunes (from friends--my stuff is tame hetero consensual.)

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
When I get done with my select period I'm leaning towards going through smashwords so I can have access to eros: http://www.ebook-eros.com/cms/eros_publish/Publish-at-eBook-Eros-with-Smashwords/1.html
Wait! What the heck is Ebook Eros? I looked at it, and they have some of my books, but not others. How do I get listed there?? Do they pay the author or are they just a storefront for Smash? I don't remember seeing them on the "channel manager" on Smashwords.

ETA: Looks like they're related to Diesel, so I guess they'd show up as Diesel on my SW sales report. I don't think I'm getting much, if any, income from Diesel. (I checked and found I've sold 22 books there in 2013.) Are they new, or am I just not selling much there? And why do they have some of my books, but not others?

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I don't know a lot about them. Just that they're pretty big. Sorry
No, that's very helpful. I had honestly never heard of them before. I'll have to add links to them on my sites. Thanks!

·
Registered
406 Posts
MegHarris said:
Wait! What the heck is Ebook Eros? I looked at it, and they have some of my books, but not others. How do I get listed there?? Do they pay the author or are they just a storefront for Smash? I don't remember seeing them on the "channel manager" on Smashwords.

ETA: Looks like they're related to Diesel, so I guess they'd show up as Diesel on my SW sales report. I don't think I'm getting much, if any, income from Diesel. (I checked and found I've sold 22 books there in 2013.) Are they new, or am I just not selling much there? And why do they have some of my books, but not others?
Yeah, it seems that they are a romance offshoot of Diesel. I found my books there recently (semi-steamy historical romances), though I haven't had any sales there or Diesel so I couldn't tell you how it's reported... I only found them recently so they seem to be fairly new.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tips everyone! I think the reason why I suddenly get rejections is because of a policy change.

Yesterday, I had a story that I published in late January rejected all of a sudden; I uploaded the edited version and figured there wouldn't be a problem. Next it was blocked. Same story but minus the grammar mistakes and some awkwardly structured sentences.

Another story too was rejected a week earlier. Its a dark erotic tale but I know Amazon sells plenty of darker stories. Still, rejected.

Yesterday, I received a mail saying that another story was under review and I already learned a mail like that translates into forget it. To my total surprise, I just saw it was accepted. And that tale is much darker than the one they accepted in January but which they yesterday saw fit to reject. Seriously, someone has to make up their mind over there.

I already moved out to Smashwords with one story, two other ones will follow suit later this week, because this way I feel I can't rely on Amazon as a reliable platform to publish. Sucks because I do like the place and what they have to offer. C'est la vie though. ;D

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I think the reason why I suddenly get rejections is because of a policy change.
That's a bit concerning. Do your books have incest or underage sex? Those are the two big reasons for outright rejection I'm aware of. Do they have dubious consent or forced sex? Those usually get you slapped with the adult filter, but if they're changing policy to reject such stories, it would be useful to know about it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MegHarris said:
That's a bit concerning. Do your books have incest or underage sex? Those are the two big reasons for outright rejection I'm aware of. Do they have dubious consent or forced sex? Those usually get you slapped with the adult filter, but if they're changing policy to reject such stories, it would be useful to know about it.
Nope. Zero underage or incest. No bestiality or any extreme like that either. Non-consensual? Yes, but I've come across far darker stories like that at Amazon. Plus, one story got accepted in late January and yesterday it's suddenly rejected. Only reason why that happened that I can think of is a policy change, which someone here recently already mentioned.

The lousy thing is that you can't get any feedback on the simple question: why was it rejected?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
S. Shine said:
Nope. Zero underage or incest. No bestiality or any extreme like that either. Non-consensual? Yes, but I've come across far darker stories like that at Amazon. Plus, one story got accepted in late January and yesterday it's suddenly rejected. Only reason why that happened that I can think of is a policy change, which someone here recently already mentioned.

The lousy thing is that you can't get any feedback on the simple question: why was it rejected?
It seems that you can get away with darker themes if your book is also not listed as erotica or has been published by one of the big however many they are now publishers. Flowers in the Attic anyone? That has both rape and incest in it, but it does not come under the erotica umbrella and wasn't self-published.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Nonconsent stories are not allowed. The fact that some slip doesn't mean there isn't a policy. I suspect they are being particularly vigilant on this because of the Steubenville and Indian rapes.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts