Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone was stupid enough to plagiarize Courtney Milan and a bunch of other well-known romance authors.

Courtney's blog
www.courtneymilan.com/ramblings/2019/02/18/cristiane-serruya-is-a-copyright-infringer-a-plagiarist-and-an-idiot/

The discussion
https://twitter.com/hashtag/CopyPasteCris?src=hash

I'm with the peeps who are wondering how much effort it took to cut/paste passages from so many sources. Harder than just writing the darn thing imo.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I saw this a few hours ago. It's an ugly situation.

G

·
IreneP said:
I'm with the peeps who are wondering how much effort it took to cut/paste passages from so many sources. Harder than just writing the darn thing imo.
That's what I thought! LOL

I see she has responded to say she uses ghostwriters from Fiverr and one of them did it. It certainly highlights the very real risks involved of using cheap ghostwriters.
Certainly a ballsey move to enter a ghost written book into the RITAs, I would have thought the fact she didn't write it would have made it ineligible?

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
IreneP said:
I've always thought this. Whether it's plagiarism, or other scamming methods.... they sound like just as much work as actually writing. And not nearly as fun, I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
I ran into this as a reader. I found a book that stole from a movie scene by scene. Worst of all, the author totally butchered the story to where things didn't make sense and completely killed what made the movie so good (if a bit cheesy).

Jena H said:
I've always thought this. Whether it's plagiarism, or other scamming methods.... they sound like just as much work as actually writing. And not nearly as fun, I'm sure.
I believe that people who have to copy cannot create themselves. So this probably was a time saver on the part of whoever wrote it (ghostwriter or the author).

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
It's very difficult to piecemeal the actual story here.

So a romance author uses ghostwriters, and one of the ghostwriters took bits and pieces of what she ghost-wrote, and put it into a book of her own?

Very interesting.

·
Registered
349 Posts
jb1111 said:

So a romance author uses ghostwriters, and one of the ghostwriters took bits and pieces of what she ghost-wrote, and put it into a book of her own?

Very interesting.
No. An author published a book that lifted several passages from multiple authors. When it was discovered, the author blamed the ghostwriter. The lifted sources came from authors who aren't likely to utilize ghostwriters.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Milan is asking the content miller to keep track of the accounting on the offending books, and for "similarly situated" authors to get in touch.

Heh.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
jb1111 said:

Very interesting.
No. A foreign writer hired ghostwriters from Fiverr who stole passages from famous romance writers and created new manuscripts for the foreign writer. The foreign writer said that they were unaware that their ghostwriter plagiarized well-known American writers, and they have taken steps to remove the content. However, this foreign writer follows several of these authors through her Bookbub account, so it's questionable as to how ignorant she was of the content being stolen.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Moist_Tissue said:
No. A foreign writer hired ghostwriters from Fiverr who stole passages from famous romance writers and created new manuscripts for the foreign writer. The foreign writer said that they were unaware that their ghostwriter plagiarized well-known American writers, and they have taken steps to remove the content. However, this foreign writer follows several of these authors through her Bookbub account, so it's questionable as to how ignorant she was of the content being stolen.
Courtney Milan said two people contacted her claiming to have worked with the content miller. The miller allegedly gives the writers scenes to make into a book.

If true, the miller knows very well that it's plagiarism.

At least one of the writers claimed the miller gave a sob story about not being able to pay the writer.

Don't believe anything this content miller is saying.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Thanks for the clarifications.

Trying to gather a story through bizarrely twisting Twitter feeds is a bit confusing at times.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For those shocked souls who think this is rarely occurring innocent plagiarism, I know some princes in Nigeria who want to talk to you about getting their millions of dollars out of the country. Book piracy, plagiarism, etc. It lives and breathes every day. Every book ever given away on Bookfunnel and Prolific works probably has a home on some foreign piracy site. Once books went digital, they became no different than music. Download any book and you have a digital file that can be resold or copy pasted. The big shocker is that so few seem to get busted for it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
LD said:
That is so strange. What's the point of hiring a ghostwriter then if she's already doing all the "work"?
The scenes that, quote, "she needed help with". You'd think she was talking about a mess that had to be turned into something readable. Only in this case, it must have been a bunch of non-related excerpts (probably complete with different names for characters) to be "streamlined" into a single story.

Really, I agree, writing the whole thing from scratch would have been waaay easier!

I'm surprised her Goodreads profile is still up.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Lady Runa said:
The scenes that, quote, "she needed help with". You'd think she was talking about a mess that had to be turned into something readable. Only in this case, it must have been a bunch of non-related excerpts (probably complete with different names for characters) to be "streamlined" into a single story.

Really, I agree, writing the whole thing from scratch would have been waaay easier!

I'm surprised her Goodreads profile is still up.
As a slow writer, I can see how it would be easier to plagiarize, but if she's going to all that trouble to set it up, she might as well have saved herself the money of hiring ghostwriters. Of course, I'm not condoning plagiarism, just saying it's weird the way she went about doing it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I'm not a writer, just an interested romance reader following this. It's criminal the number of authors she's plagiarized - it keeps rising!

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
I too am a romance reader following this. It is disgusting. What kind of [person] thinks they can get away with this. Romance readers have really good memories. Many of us read a lot and yet we can remember scenes from books we read 20 years ago. Especially with those type of authors that were plagiarized.

When I looked that [ ] book packager up on goodreads I noted all those rah rah 5 star reviews from these review companies like Hidden Gem and others I keep seeing advertised here and authors using. And a lot of those wanna be blogs that are very rampant in romance. I said it before. I do not trust any of the current arc reviews. Anytime there is any connection between reviewer and author its untrustworthy. This just proves that to me again. Lots of "got free from author" "got free from this and that" on those books by this thief. Only time I listen if its a reader I trust like on our reader threads here and one of the handful of romance blogs that been around for a long time and have a trusted track record.

Now how much more of this garbage is out there.

Two one-word changes, at the brackets. Drop me a PM if you have any questions. - Becca

·
Registered
108 Posts
Allow me to note that the "author" in question -- going by reviews, alsobots and other 'tells' -- appears to have been following the advice of the 'mastermind' group, and was likely involved in their newsletter swaps. In addition, one of the books with plagiarized text, Damaged Love, in 2017 was part of a 20-book box run via a Pronoun account affiliated with a bad actor whose KDP account was terminated for cause. That box hit the USAT list, "earning" this "author" letters. The "author" also filed a DMCA with Google to have that box and her singles removed from site search results for...copyright infringements.

(Citations at )

One of the books with plagiarized text was also entered into the Rita Awards, the romance genre's most prestigious competition.

Something like 29 books and 23 authors have been uncovered so far as being targets of infringement, including some really big names with big pubs with deep pockets. Also worth a read by all indies for insight as to why filing copyrights in the US might be a good thing: https://twitter.com/courtneymilan/status/1098226647222743040

The kicker: The "author" appears to actually be a lawyer in Brazil as her bio touts. Seems we've been seeing a lot of lawyers go darkside lately. Sad.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
People who say "it's easier to just write the book" are forgetting that different people have different skills. It may be easier for you and me to write that book, but for someone with effective organizational skills (not saying they are good, merely effective) it may well be easier to organize others to create the "book," rather like a good factory manager could probably organize people and machines to assemble anything from cars to toys.

This is little different from the concept of creating low-quality knockoffs of high-end products, except in digital form. Any time there's money to be scammed from consumers, someone will try.

1 - 20 of 147 Posts