Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plagiarism is one of the fears authors face.  If you have ever been plagiarized, how did you find out?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not been plagiarised but have discovered unauthorised use of me as an image in various places, and I have a doppelganger who I intend to dispose of, when I meet her. :mad:

·
Registered
751 Posts
It's happened to me twice. Both times it concerned the same article I wrote.

Once I was doing a Google search & found out that a website was using my entire article minus my name. I contacted them via email and fax and there was no response. A few months later the site was gone.

A few months ago I bought an ebook as I wanted to see how it was formatted. Lo and behold I saw the same article and a recipe that they swiped from a dot gone site. I posted a review explaining the situation and the fact that the book was badly formatted. Clearly the "author" [no name was given] had a field day stealing stuff from various forums and dot gones.

·
Registered
586 Posts
lisamaliga said:
It's happened to me twice. Both times it concerned the same article I wrote.

Once I was doing a Google search & found out that a website was using my entire article minus my name. I contacted them via email and fax and there was no response. A few months later the site was gone.

A few months ago I bought an ebook as I wanted to see how it was formatted. Lo and behold I saw the same article and a recipe that they swiped from a dot gone site. I posted a review explaining the situation and the fact that the book was badly formatted. Clearly the "author" [no name was given] had a field day stealing stuff from various forums and dot gones.
Clearly a thief, rather than an author?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I was plagiarized a few years ago. It was a short story I'd written and posted online, for free, in two places (my website and another website which hosted original fiction). Probably a year or two after I'd posted it, I had a reader email me and tell me that they'd discovered my story, with names and certain key details altered (but the rest otherwise left verbatim), on a fan fiction forum of some sort. I believe it was Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which is truly bizarre, as the story had nothing to do with anything at all paranormal. Apparently this eagle-eyed reader reported the person who posted the story to the forum moderators, and their account was suspended.

It was a bit of a shock to receive that email. First of all, the story that was plagiarized really wasn't very good!  lol.  I mean, it wasn't completely awful, but by the time I learned that someone else had claimed it as their own, I was honestly ready to disown it. That didn't mean I wasn't irritated and even a little violated by the news. It's a pretty disgusting feeling, knowing that someone is passing your work off as theirs.

I really appreciated having that reader watching my back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can always check if you are being plagiarized; simply by typing the first couple of sentences of your text into the google search. You may well be very surprised where your writings turn up; especially if you have posted it on a free to read site.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
From lovely, helpful people on the Amazon UK forums. A reader who'd got my book from Smashwords found it under a fake author name on Amazon UK. She started a thread on their forums asking for advice, and another person posting in that thread contacted me.

A google search would have turned it up eventually, but the reader found it within a day or two of its appearing on Amazon.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Kathy Bennett said:
I think the internet makes so many things hard to catch. Plagiarism being one of them.
Actually it makes it easier. You can actually search for material in all sorts of ways.

Plagiarism has always been with us. Before the internet, they could get away with it because there was no way to find them. Now the problem is not so much finding them as dealing with them once caught. As often as not, the best you can do is a takedown notice. Odds are they are in a country where you can't otherwise touch them.

(I actually had some print stories stolen in China, for online and for print.)

Camille

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
You can setup a google news and e-mail alert. I have one for my name. You might pick a random sentence from your novel (put it in quotes)--something obscure, and they can send you both news and web alerts right to your e-mail.

I've had one of my free ebooks show up on a foreign language site.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I found out someone was selling my books on their amazon site while I was playing a game online.  They asked why my book was $132 and I immediately went to amazon, contacted the seller and within a few hours it was gone.  Apparently he is making a killing selling other people's books at a high rate making others believe it's a rare out of print book!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Kathy Bennett said:
I think the internet makes so many things hard to catch. Plagiarism being one of them.
It also makes it amazingly easy to spot and detect. And, once found out, spread the word on. Even Bob Dylan's plagiarism of lyrics was reported quick.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts