Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I know you're supposed to turn off the Kindle or any item with a power button during take off/landing..........and yes I do follow these instructions 'cuz just in case I don't want to die LOL

But seriously......what are the odds that a powered on Kindle could bring down a plane? ::)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I am so glad you asked that.  I have wondered the same thing.
Thanks, Elaina.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
pomlover2586 said:
OK so I know you're supposed to turn off the Kindle or any item with a power button during take off/landing..........and yes I dof ollow these instructions 'cuz just in case I don't want to die LOL

But seriously......what are the odds that a powered on Kindle could bring down a plane? ::)
.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
The odds are infinitesimal, but do you want to be one the one plane in a hundred million that it has an effect?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm a rules person, so my Kindle stays off during takeoffs and landings.  Besides, it allows me to prove to myself that while I really, really, really like my Kindle, I am not addicted.  Really, I'm not ... back away from my Kindle, slowly back away.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I think the real reason they want portable electronic devices turned off is so you are forced to pay attention.  "You WILL LISTEN to my safety instructions, I don't care if this is your 12th flight this month." 

Just once someone needs to turn to the flight attendant and say "let's compromise, if we start falling out of the sky, I'll turn it right off". 

Lara Amber 

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I think they do this just so the flight attendants can tell who the trouble makers are going to be right out of the gate ;) , not point in waiting for surprises, lets sort out the obstinate ones now  ;D  :D .  BTW, I'm not a flight attendant, I teach second grade, we have our own ways of sorting  :-*

·
Registered
599 Posts
Here's an article I posted in another thread a while back: http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-all-electronics-have-to-be-turned-off-for-takeoff-and-landing.htm

"A 2000 Congressional hearing failed to make a definitive decision on whether electronic devices do, in fact, interfere with an aircraft during takeoff and landing. Since this was the case, the decision was to have all such devices turned off, since that would harm no one, was a free solution, and was known to be a viable alternative. The U.S. government certainly did not want to clear the use of these devices during takeoff and landing and then have the unthinkable happen - a crash caused by interference from a laptop. World governments and airlines have chosen to follow this rationale, in general."
Better to be safe than sorry. If that means 10 minutes of twiddling my thumbs before I can read on my Kindle, I'm fine with that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just close the cover while the flight attendants walk through the isles so the think I am paying attention and then go back to reading.  I fly every week and no one has said a thing yet (except ooh, is that the new Kindle, how do you like it).  I figure if that lightning outside the window isn't going to bring us down my Kindle certainly isn't.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
I guess my question would be what is different about approach and takeoff than cruising that would require them to be off during those times.

I may have to contact my commercial pilot friends...

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
I think the main thing is that the radio is off.  Plus, when the K is asleep it may as well be off.  If WN is off it's not doing anything. . . .no power consumption of any kind.

Ann

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I'm with you, Britt as I tend to be more of a rule follower than a rule breaker.  Good Girl Syndrome. . .  ::)  Ten or twenty minutes of non-Kindling is not going to affect my life. 

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you just turn off the wireless, I see no reason that you can't keep reading during takeoff.  You really think everybody pulls out their cell phones and turns them off?  HIGHLY doubtful.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
The WN off, and the Kindle emits almost nothing. Totally safe to keep reading.

There was a study recently done in Europe (where people are not required to turn off cell phones, or anything else) that found such devices were NO threat to the operation of aircraft. Mythbusters proved the same.

It's paranoia, plain and simple.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I totally break the rules, I read on the plane the whole time. It's a book!! I want to read!

But I always have the whispernet off. I think Mythbusters had a show where they proved cell phoned didn't do anything to the plane. So it's kind of a dumb rule, I will turn my cell phone off, but I want to keep reading my Kindle. Thank goodness my Oberon cover makes it look like a journal and no one really notices.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If there was the slightest chance of the portable electronics that you carry onto an aircraft causing a problem.....Big Brother.....aka...TSA.....would not even let you carry them on the aircraft. We all know that terrorists would follow the rules and turn off the cell phones, kindles, CD players, etc.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts