Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend who is going to RWA Nationals this year asked if I wanted her to tote anything down to the swag room for me.

I've never done it (I've also heard rumors the swag room has changed in the last two years. True? False?)

But, if I was going to send something down, at that point I'll have the Theories in Love series 3/4 of the way done and the pink book *points down to sig*

What, if anything do you all recommend for the RWA Nationals Swag room *Yes, please note the very specific guidelines*

:)

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:
A friend who is going to RWA Nationals this year asked if I wanted her to tote anything down to the swag room for me.

I've never done it (I've also heard rumors the swag room has changed in the last two years. True? False?)

But, if I was going to send something down, at that point I'll have the Theories in Love series 3/4 of the way done and the pink book *points down to sig*

What, if anything do you all recommend for the RWA Nationals Swag room *Yes, please note the very specific guidelines*

:)
I've heard trading cards of your main characters are very popular.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yup. That's on the list. I'm kind of waiting to see if they'll be as hot as they were the last two years. Especially since I won't be there to trade. I haven't heard of people just putting the in the swag room. They seem to be more active with them.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I don't know specifically for RWA, but I used to plan conferences. Swag that is functional is always a plus because as it gets used, the user is reminded of you the author or the product or brand. Pens are a cheap way to go, and lord knows I keep about a billion pens in my purse all the time. Magnets (not business card magnets necessarily).  Although, you could make a funny business card magnet that's like STAT I need a book and a list of 10 book sites or something, with Provided for your romance emergency by Caitie Quinn.

Notepads, bags (can be pricey!!!), shoot, even chocolate bars. Wedding favors are sometimes another swag avenue businesses can use without realizing it....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Caitie Quinn said:

I've never done it (I've also heard rumors the swag room has changed in the last two years. True? False?) :)
I volunteered in the room last year at Anaheim. It surprised me what intrigued people the most. Bookmarks are always good. Chocolate is a huge draw. : ) If you could attach chocolate kisses to your bookmark or postcard that would be cool. Or have your friend sprinkle kisses around your display. I recently attached a wrapped mint to each of my postcards that announced the release day and handed them out at a chapter meeting. They were well recieved. And at least the ladies got something other than,"Buy my book." ; ) One year I made book thong book markers and they were a hit. Magnets, and chip bag clips are good. Pens are good but they can get expensive, like bags and mugs. I think, keep it simple, and provide chocolate.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
Chocolate is great, but just speaking for myself, whenever I've picked up chocolate in the goodie room, I eat the chocolate and the wrapper or card attached to it (on which the author's name appears) immediately goes into the trash. Ask me 5 minutes later who it came from and I've never be able to tell you.

So while it's popular, I don't think it's establishing any kind of name recognition whatsoever.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
What has actually resulted in book sales is tiny chapbooks, with the first 10-20 pages or first chapter, just to give a sample of the writing so they'll want to buy the book, maybe even that day if they get it on Kindle. I've done this. All that really matters to me is the writing, that's what sells me.

Or another great idea is what Hannah Howell does, she give out the BEST pens. They are purple, with purple ink and people look forward to getting a new one from her every year...she is known for her pens.

Something like that could be memorable.

·
Registered
7,976 Posts
I'm going to a Christian writers' con in May (http://nwchristianwriters.org/RenewalConference). I plan on taking paperbacks with me to hand out to whoever is interested. They only cost me $4 each, and I figure my work itself sells my work better than anything else could. It is a writers' con, though, not a readers' con, so I am only bringing 10 books.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts