Kindle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just saw this on CNN, it's a little bigger then the size of a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and from the interview it looks to be designed for newpapers and magazines only. An estimated 1.7 billion people read a newespaper everyday and this company hopes more people will switch to this format in order to save more trees. Their supposed to be launched next year. Not one mention of all of the ereaders out on the market all ready that are capable of downloading a newspaper. In my opinion, the more companies and people who get on the ereader bandwagon, the more content we as consumers will be able to get.
Here's a link to kindle vs plastic logic
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/11/plastic-logics-e-reader-vs-amazon-kindle-fight/

B

·
0 Posts
madrye said:
Sorry, kind of new around here, just thought I'd start a conversation.
No apologies necessary. You did nothing wrong. I was just trying to direct you to an already existent conversation on the topic. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do have to say, that the presentation in the video is possibly one of the worst unveilings I have seen since grad school classes.  Its a shame that I was so distracted by the lack of a professional presentation that I heard almost none of what was said.  I am not trying to be mean, but gosh, I felt bad for the guy; he was out of breath he was so nervous.
Kinda smacks of "Dragon's Den" on BBC; you know, when some inventor who has a phobia of public speaking is attempting to win over the investors. I don't get why they don't just bring someone who can give a professional presentation. 

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Since everyone seems so negative on this device, let me be more positive. I don't like reading newspapers or magazines on the K. It just doesn't read naturally for me. If this reader had a screen that was as readable as the K, and if it had wireless download of newspapers and magazines like whispernet, I would consider getting it for those purposes. I would read books on the Kindle as the form factor is like a paperback (at least K1 is), but I do read a lot of newspapers and would consider getting this device (subject to price) for that purpose. However, since they didn't mention wireless delivery, I assume that will not be a feature, which would kill the deal for me.

Steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm not at all negative on this reader, I want one for all the work stuff we review in meetings that is immediately thrown away. It's stuff that can't be read on a smaller device like my Kindle. I think the Plastic Logic reader is an excellent complimentary reader to the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Interesting developments. We'll see way more of these e-readers within no time. I wonder is Apple will jump on board as well as Microsoft?? Kindle already has a head start and market share. Let the battles begin.

·
Registered
679 Posts
MonaSW said:
I'm not at all negative on this reader, I want one for all the work stuff we review in meetings that is immediately thrown away. It's stuff that can't be read on a smaller device like my Kindle. I think the Plastic Logic reader is an excellent complimentary reader to the Kindle.
I agree - I donlt see it as comeptetion so much for the Kindle, but as similiar product servicing a different purpose. if it is competetion for anything, I think it would be for the larger iLliad

·
Registered
615 Posts
TM said:
I agree - I donlt see it as comeptetion so much for the Kindle, but as similiar product servicing a different purpose. if it is competetion for anything, I think it would be for the larger iLliad
It'll do pdfs. But it's not due until 2010.

Amazon has said it's got textbook needs in mind for a future, larger version, for students.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like it.  Especially for textbooks that are graphic intensive.  I think it will find a place in the eReader world and may lead the way for Amazon and other companies to improve their readers.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
chalkmaven said:
I like it. Especially for textbooks that are graphic intensive. I think it will find a place in the eReader world and may lead the way for Amazon and other companies to improve their readers.
We read a lot of Visio files in pdf format. I am itching to get my hands on this for reading those.

·
Registered
1 Posts
madrye said:
Just saw this on CNN, it's a little bigger then the size of a piece of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and from the interview it looks to be designed for newpapers and magazines only. An estimated 1.7 billion people read a newespaper everyday and this company hopes more people will switch to this format in order to save more trees. Their supposed to be launched next year. Not one mention of all of the ereaders out on the market all ready that are capable of downloading a newspaper. In my opinion, the more companies and people who get on the ereader bandwagon, the more content we as consumers will be able to get.
Here's a link to kindle vs plastic logic
http://www.engadget.com/2008/09/11/plastic-logics-e-reader-vs-amazon-kindle-fight/
Differentiated by a stunning form factor (the size of 8.5 x 11-inch paper), the Plastic Logic reader features a big readable display. Yet it's thinner than a pad of paper, lighter than many business periodicals, and offers a high-quality reading experience - better than alternatives of paper or other electronic readers on the market today.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi all,
I'm not sure this topic belongs here, but I figured a lot of people might be interested in an eReader that's targeted to mobile business professionals, it's the Plastic Reader. :)
It has a notepad 8 1/2 x 11 screen and you can work on annotations on business documents.
I thought it was interesting.
Here's the link:

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/

:)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Perhaps a mod with power in this forum will happen along and merge the threads. . . . .

Ann

1 - 19 of 19 Posts