Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep trying to talk my Dad into getting a Kindle.  He would love that book about the 'vette.  His favorite year (and mine) is the '57.  I saw one at an antique (that hurts) car show a few months ago.  White with turquoise interior and insert.  I also saw a gold convertible with white insert just casually driving around like it was no big deal.  (Sigh)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gertie, I was in the Corvette Club in Austin, TX, for many years. It is one of the largest in the country. Most of the stories in Plastic Ozone Daydream: The Corvette Chronicles (Nonfiction in a Fictional Style) were re-edited from the club newsletter that broke all records for being selected as being the best Corvette Club newsletter in the country. The LCC Bulletin took first place in the nation repeatedly in the years it featured my stories. The first story was published in 1985, and I planned from the beginning to edit the whole series into a book after the series was completed, and that's exactly what I did.

The car on the cover is the 1970 390-hp 454 four-speed that I owned for eighteen years. The only Corvette I have driven newer than 1972 was an '87 C5, and the story of that drive is included in the book. My favorites are the Sting Rays of '63-'67 and the Stingrays of '68-'72, with an honorable mention for the 1980 model. I am also partial to the big-blocks, so the '65 396-onward are my particular favorites. In case you are wondering why I didn't choose the more popular '67 L-71 or another Sting Ray, I am a bean-pole and the driving position and interior layout of the laid-back Stingray body suits me better. Another reason was that I live where it's very hot and the later body was the first Corvette with fully integrated air conditioning!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Kilgore Trout said:
The only Corvette I have driven newer than 1972 was an '87 C5, and the story of that drive is included in the book.
Always fun to correct an expert....the C5 was introduced for 1997. An '87 would have been roughly halfway through the first iteration of the C4 ('84-'92,'93-'96).

·
Registered
80 Posts
You caught me, gecko29! I was waxing nostalgic and got lost in the ozone. Of course the C5 was introduced in 1997 with a sexy body and a new transaxle. The 1987 C4 I drove lacked those two things, but it was still a wonderful car. I have always considered the C4's to be practically and technically interesting while lacking the oozing nostalgia of the Stingrays or the swoopy sex appeal of the C5's. Speaking of nostalgia, yesterday's announcement of the coming demise of Pontiac has really pushed my buttons. I shall never miss most of the more recent models, especially that eyesore, the Aztek, but my younger years were filled with magical Pontiac memories, from my best friend's '62 Bonneville Convertible to my '88 Grand Prix, with an array of many fun rides between!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
I think this is a great discussion, and I want it to continue, just not in the Bargain Book thread, folks, so I split it out.

I have to say (I know this is heresy) but all the modern Corvettes look alike to me. ::) You have to understand, this is my idea of a car:
;D

We have several friends who are really into Corvettes, though, and the book sounds really interesting!

Betsy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you so much, Betsy, for your kind words about Plastic Ozone Daydream: The Corvette Chronicles (Nonfiction in a Fictional Style).You may not be familiar with the work of Peter Egan, who happens to be at the core of some of the inspiration for my writing. He has been a monthly columnist for both Cycle World and Road & Track magazines for many years. His columns have been collected into a couple of books, but they are not available on the Kindle, and may never be. Mr. Egan's writing style and subject matter are quite similar to my own, paying playful tribute to the memorable classics of our past. One of Peter Egan's favorite toys is his new BMW-built Mini Cooper S.

A related subject that currently has me digging through the internet, searching for photos and other material while sweeping the tear from my eye, is the announcement of the demise of Pontiac. Although the company has built only one car I have actually considered buying in the last twenty years, the 2000 Firebird Convertible, I have tons of fond memories of earlier Pontiacs! The first convertible I ever rode in was a '62 Bonneville, and it addicted me to open cars forever. I made my first journey to New Orleans for the 1970 Spring Break with three chums in a new Trans Am, the first one I had ever seen. I was proud to be seen in that roaring beast, even in the tight quarters of its rear seat! There were many other rides, drives, and experiences involving Pontiacs that I shall never forget, from my cousin's '65 GTO to an '88 Grand Prix that carried me many pleasant miles. Although I never actually owned but two Pontiacs, a 1978 and the '88 Grand Prix, I came oh-so-close to buying a Pontiac numerous other times. Memories of Wide-Track Tigers will never die!

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
KT--

Not so fast, Corvette boy! ;D I've very aware of Peter Egan and have read many of his columns. My husband has subscribed to R&T since 1961 or so. (He wants to know if you've heard of Henry Manney? ;D) Peter Egan does indeed love his MINI Cooper S (the new one is spelled all caps). Like Peter, we have a MINI Cooper S (2002) and before that a Mazda Miata (1991). (We still have them both in our 5-car collection.) Here's our MINI at the Bonneville Salt Flats in 2005.

This was on one of our two cross country trips in the MINI. We've also driven cross country one way in a friend's Miata. Great trips, all!

We are with you in mourning the loss of the Pontiac. The Mini world mourned the demise of the original Mini and many still blame BMW for killing it. (Not us, obviously. We like to say we're bi-Minial.) I'm sure it will be a big topic of discussion at the British car show we're going to tomorrow.

Have you seen Grassroots' Classic Motorsports magazine? It has a Newletter of the Month column. This month's was The eChatter of the Emerald Necklace MG Register based in Cleveland. (We currently get 6 car magazines as well as 3 quilting magazines, 3 birding magazines, Newsweek, Smithsonian and sometimes the Economist when I can get a deal.)

Looking forward to reading your book!

Betsy

PS--My husband reminds me that he toured the Pratt & Miller Racing Facility outside Detroit last summer as the guest of Mrs. Pratt. As you no doubt know, they prepare all the factory Corvettes that have been so successful at places like Sebring & LeMans.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Wow, I found another Peter Egan fan! Yes, I have read some of Manney's stuff, but he has never captured me like Egan has. I've also tried to get into L. J. K Setright's meanderings, but he seems just a bit too British for me to understand his humor. Like many of my friends of the past, Egan liked to build cars in his garage and tell stories about them, but I am only marginally mechanically inclined. I am sort of a motorhead nerd. My library includes many car books of numerous types, and I have read them all, as well as an extensive collection of Road & Track and Car and Driver. I am also a fan of Kurt Vonnegut, as if you couldn't tell from my screen name and e-mail address! When I wrote Daydream, I wanted to capture Egan's subject matter with Vonnegut's imagination coated in a good dose of Jean Shepherd's nostalgia. Of course, the ghosts of Steve McQueen and Tom Wolfe's first book also leave a sweet perfume of petrol with readers of Daydream, too.

I don't read any car magazines any more because I just ran out of time! I currently run three blogs, reading books for review on one, and I am working on my fifth book, so it seems like I never leave my computer! I haven't really missed the magazines much, though, because I am such a fan of older cars. The newest one I own now is a 2000 Mustang Convertible. When I mentioned the 2000 Firebird Convertible I almost bought, the Mustang won by a pony's nose.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well said, Betsy! My wife and I read the political news blogs all day long and brief each other constantly back and forth. No wonder it's taking me years to complete my next book!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do not wish to be a pest about this issue, but I am one of those authors trying to learn as much as I can about publishing accurately to the Kindle format. This first book of mine, Plastic Ozone Daydream, was a very complex formatting nightmare, even in its original print version. I have been trying to get the formatting as correct as possible in this difficult book, and there have been three different versions uploaded to Kindle. As far as I can ascertain, one copy was sold with the photos missing before I discovered this issue. I just found out that one copy has been returned. If the buyer that did that is on this board, I would love to know why. Was the one returned the copy sold without photos? Were there other formatting problems that instigated the return? Is there some particular problem that I still have not worked out correctly?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi, again. I just completed a total rework of the complex file of Plastic Ozone Daydream and resubmitted it to Amazon. Due to its complex nature, I do not expect this book to ever appear as perfect as the print version, but then it's a lot cheaper! I always ask that anyone who finds a formatting issue in one of my books to please let me know so, if I have the necessary technical skill, I can fix it. The last thing I want to do is to present a substandard product. Thank you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts