Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Christina and I am new here. I only recently found out what a kindle was from, of all places a makeup forum...lol...I have been thinking about a kindle non stop since then. I am an avid reader and do most of my reading from the library. I LOVE the idea of not having to hold big and bulky novels while I lay in bed, which is where I do all of my reading. My only negative right now that I need some advice on is buying physical books. I read a lot of novels from the 19th century and there are so many more I want to read. Most of these are on kindle for free, but a big part of me wants to own the physical book. I like the idea of someday displaying these novels in my home on built in book shelves. The problem is if I drop all that money on the kindle there is no way I can afford to buy all those physical books too-right away anyway.  I am so torn because I really feel that the kindle would enhance my reading experience, but at the same time I could buy at least 30 of those novels for the price of the kindle. The idea of buying 30 novels is a bit more exciting to me then the kindle. I wish I could do both. I know some people would not want all of those physical books, but I think I would. There are so many books from the Brontes, Dickens, etc. I think I would want to have on my book shelves. Then again, up to now I haven't really bought many books because I go to the library, so there is a good chance if I don't get the kindle, I may not ever even buy those books anyway. Gosh, I am very confused.... ::)
Do I really need a shelf full of dusty old books when I can have everything stored nicely on a kindle?
I would appreciate any advice...Thanks!

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
First of all, welcome to the Boards.  You've come to the right place and I predict you're going to get a myriad of answers to your dilemma.  I think it comes down to a personal choice.  Many people got the K because they didn't have room for any more physical books.  It sounds like you're not at that point yet. 
I beleive Kindle is going to be around for a really long time.  Perhaps you can concentrate on getting the physical books you still would like to collect, and then in a year or so see what version of Kindle is floating around and pick up one then.
Again, welcome, and be sure to let us know what you decide.
deb

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Unless you are reading free public domain books or have a library set up that allows ebook borrowing compatible with kindle you will be stuck with purchasing your kindle books. So I'd look into how your book budget is before deciding on getting a kindle. You don't want to invest in one and then realize you can't afford content for it, the instant gratification of being able to purchase instantly makes it harder to stay in budget. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's true. I guess I am really afraid that after spending money on the kindle the kindle books, I would still be wanting to buy the physical books as well-that's the part that would get out of hand. Buying the physical books on top of everything else.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Welcome, Christina, glad to have you here.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you are buying antique, collectible books, you might not actually want to read them. The oils from your hands, your breath on the old paper can be very damaging. And, if you are actually going to be collecting books, that can be a decades-long (lifetime) hobby so need to rush out and spend a whole lot of money all at once.

I love my Kindle for reading in bed (and the easy chair, and the couch). I have come to prefer reading on it to reading a paper book. But over the past year, there have been a few books I really loved and so I bought the paper book, too, to keep in my collection on my shelf.

L

·
Registered
175 Posts
Christina, I found the transition from paper books easier than I thought it would be. I love having a large collection of "books" with me at all times. If you really like classics, you can get a lot of those for free on a Kindle & also should have options to buy them used in paper form which can be less expensive. Although you might feel less need for DTBs once you are Kindled.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I've found I have zero need for DTB's since I went with my K2.  But to be fair, we do have a fair number of "fine bindings" and limited/signed/first editions, so I was mostly over that anyway.

I do agree with Leslie that collecting books is a lifelong hobby and there's no need to rush through it. But definitely take the time to make sure that the things you want to read are not only available for the Kindle, but are at a price you can afford comfortably before taking the plunge. :)

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
VictoriaP said:
I've found I have zero need for DTB's since I went with my K2. But to be fair, we do have a fair number of "fine bindings" and limited/signed/first editions, so I was mostly over that anyway.

I do agree with Leslie that collecting books is a lifelong hobby and there's no need to rush through it. But definitely take the time to make sure that the things you want to read are not only available for the Kindle, but are at a price you can afford comfortably before taking the plunge. :)
I agree with Victoria completely. The kindle is great and as much as I thought I'd miss dtb's I never have. Now I only read dtb's when someone gives it to me and/or I already own it and don't really want to have the same book twice (once in K version,one dtb version)

But like Leslie and Victoria both stated collecting older classics sounds like your hobby and in that case a collecting hobby can always go right along with your reading hobby. It just seems like your reading hobby will be more technologically advanced with a Kindle. Your collecting hobby you can take your time and slowly build it into what you want over a longer period of time. To me it sounds like there can be room in your life for both of these.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I can't imagine ever having zero need for DTBs. I still buy my cookbooks in DTB and there are many books I want that are not available on kindle. Additionally I have gardening, art books and other graphic heavy books that I would not want to read on kindle because large color pictures are very nice.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I may be wrong, but it kind of sounds like you don't have that fabulous home with the built-in bookshelves yet? If that's the case, then I don't see any point to buying gorgeous books right now that you have to put into storage because you don't have room for them yet. Plus, as Leslie said very eloquently, if collecting books is truly your passion, you have a lifetime to work on that, and over that time, spending $359 for a Kindle that can enhance your reading now will make very little difference in the big picture.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Salve Christina!

Poiché vedo che lei si chiama italiana__007, ho l'impressione che la vostra lingua materna è l'italiano. La lettura è divertente ed istruttivo, in modo che non importa se si decide di leggere da un dispositivo elettronico o da un libro di carta. Il Kindle è molto conveniente per me perche tutti i miei libri sono con me. Tuttavia, mi piace le due.

Entrambi hanno i loro vantaggi e svantaggi. Con il Kindle, i libri sono meno costosi e adesso gratuito. Posso scaricare i libri sul Internet gratuitamente. Un libro di carta è più costoso e non è buono per le condizioni ambientali. Un albero è meno abbattuto.

Con un libro di carta, posso condividere o regalare il libro, ma non posso con il Kindle. Il Kindle è anche costoso. Ma ti voglio dire, comprando questo dispositivo elettronico è stato il migliore investimento che ho fatto nella mia vita. Non ho rimpianti.

Vi consiglio di fare le vostre ricerche prima di acquistarlo.

Ciao.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I would say that if your goal is to read, then the Kindle would be your best bet. You will have access to thousands of free classics that you can have with you anywhere, and reading in bed will be sooo much easier. If you want to collect, I would still say get the kindle when you can afford it, so you can still read the books that you are collecting without damaging the books themselves. Now if you JUST want to collect...the Kindle is not for you.

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
ElLector, as a translator I'm curious why you decided that the Kindle is masculine.  Are there articles/reviews in Italian that refer to it as such?  Since Amazon doesn't advertise it outside the U.S., there's no original source... 

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am really leaning toward getting one now because overall my goal is to read as much as I can get my hands on in the most comfortable way possible. I always say that I am going to start collecting again, but I never do and don't know if I ever will. I have a couple of boxes of books that have been sitting in my basement for years now when I do have some built in book shelves I could display them on. I just hate it when books get all dusty and old.

I do have a question now about the type of kindle I should get. I only do fiction reading so newspapers, pdf files, etc. are not relevant to me. The thing that does appeal to me about the DX is the larger screen. I am wondering if I would have to turn less pages that way. The negative is I am afraid that lying on my side in bed would not be as comfortable as with the smaller K2.

Also, do you think if I hold off till the holidays another version of the K2 will be out? For some reason get sucked into the latest technology and would not mind waiting if this could happen, but I guess this is probably something only Amazon knows at this point. I do, however, think that the K2 would fulfill my needs for a long time. Reading only fiction, I would never want to pay extra for color whenever that technology comes around.

What would you suggest? Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I really was unsure prior to getting my kindle how I would feel about giving up my dtbs as I loved having lots of books around and have never gotten rid of a book I've purchased ever.

The feeling has since passed, lol and now I would never give up my kindle.

There are so many free/cheaply gotten classics available for the kindle and if that is your interest and reading is your primary concern, getting a kindle seems almost like a foregone conclusion to me.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
italiana_007 said:
I am really leaning toward getting one now because overall my goal is to read as much as I can get my hands on in the most comfortable way possible. I always say that I am going to start collecting again, but I never do and don't know if I ever will. I have a couple of boxes of books that have been sitting in my basement for years now when I do have some built in book shelves I could display them on. I just hate it when books get all dusty and old.

I do have a question now about the type of kindle I should get. I only do fiction reading so newspapers, pdf files, etc. are not relevant to me. The thing that does appeal to me about the DX is the larger screen. I am wondering if I would have to turn less pages that way. The negative is I am afraid that lying on my side in bed would not be as comfortable as with the smaller K2.

Also, do you think if I hold off till the holidays another version of the K2 will be out? For some reason get sucked into the latest technology and would not mind waiting if this could happen, but I guess this is probably something only Amazon knows at this point. I do, however, think that the K2 would fulfill my needs for a long time. Reading only fiction, I would never want to pay extra for color whenever that technology comes around.

What would you suggest? Thanks again!
If you are only reading fiction the K2 is more than adequate, no reason to wait. If you have any interest in the DX and it's larger screen wait a week I suspect these boards will start hopping next Thursday and Friday when the 1st wave of DX's arrive and I'm sure you can get more questions answered about it then.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I agree with Forster, if fiction is all you read, go for the conveniently sized k2, I cant imagine lugging the dx with me everywhere.  I would probably break it.  It's just too big for casual reading.  I was worried about constant page turning as well, but I read with it on its smallest font, and its just like a paperback, only better.  The wind can't loose your place, and page turning is actually faster on kindle.  Also you can turn pages on a kindle while wearing gloves,  My fingers used to freeze in colder months, because I had to leave them uncovered to turn pages.  I generally spend 5-6 hours reading a night, and transitioning didn't faze me at all, I probally read faster now.  Also I can put on my headphones, and listen to the instrumental music I have on my kindle to drown out any distractions (really loud gossipy neighbor) that I used to not be able to concentrate through.  As far as book collections for display, those really are books that you want to take your time to find in the bindings that most appeal to you. In that case Leslie is right you wont want to risk these treasures getting harmed in any way.  So if you do read them, you probally won't leave the house with them,  and here is where the kindle comes into play!!  So we've come full circle, for casual reading of fiction and such, you really cant beat a k2. 

·
Registered
286 Posts
Susan in VA said:
ElLector, as a translator I'm curious why you decided that the Kindle is masculine. Are there articles/reviews in Italian that refer to it as such? Since Amazon doesn't advertise it outside the U.S., there's no original source...
Hi Susana,

In the Italian language, any foreign/borrowed word (like Kindle) must always carry a masculine article.

Here's a clearer explanation:

The Definite Article:
introduce a specific, defined or previously mentioned noun.
Feminine nouns: If the feminine noun is singular, use LA. If the feminine noun is plural use LE. For example: la ragazza, le ragazze.

Masculine nouns: before a masculine noun you need to choose between IL and LO. You make the choice depending on how the masculine noun begins. You should find that you choose IL most of the time. Here are the rules:

- Use IL and its plural I when the masculine noun begins with a consonant. (il ragazzo/i ragazzi)
-Use LO and its plural GLI when the masculine noun begins with a vowel, or z or s. LO can be abbreviated to L' before a word beginning with a vowel. (lo sbaglio/gli sbagli)
-Remember that any nouns borrowed from another language are masculine and have no plural.

Here's the link if you need any more information:

http://www.italian-language.biz/italian/grammar.asp

Hope this helps explain your question.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I thought El used the masculine because his kindle is masculine  :D  shoulda known he has a "proper" reason for it  ;D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts