Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered my first Kindle and I'm uncerrain about what to buy to protect it.  I see skins, covers, sleeves, cases and more in Kindle accessories. I've also read about getting splash-proof covers.  I'm going to need some input. 

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'll try.  At least from my perspective these are my thoughts on the various accessories.

Skin - mostly decorative but a little protection (dirt etc)

Cover/Cases - (book style or flip style) some prefer reading their kindle naked or just skinned.  I find it easier in a cover and it does give it added protection.  Also there is a silicone or a hard covering (Incipio etc) for the kindle - some just cover the back and edges.  Mostly I think cover and cases are used interchangeable.

Sleeves (many styles) - depending on the amount of padding protection for the device or cover/device. 

For my kindle, I have a skin for decoration, a book style cover for protection and to make it easier to hold, and a sleeve to protect the cover.

·
Registered
423 Posts
As an example> I have a skin, which is just for fun (in fact I haven't put it on yet, that part seems scary....), and a Kindle lighted cover for protection and light. Then I have a zip-loc bag for the bathtub. :) 

One thing more I would like is a soft case with a strap so I could hang it around my neck when going out for a walk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for responding, that's a big help!!  I've been ambivalent about even getting a Kindle; I do love books - the feel, the pages, the covers.  Finally I'm jumping in, just because I want something light and compact to carry in my bag.  I think I'll wait until the K. arrives and then choose. (I'm a little afraid of the skins.) 

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I make covers, bags and kozies for Kindles. They are designed to your requirements. Here is my web site with pictures of items I've sold to customers. If you would like a Kindle pouch to hang around your neck, I have just the design for you. I just added some new embroidery designs. Please take a look at my web site. Email me at [email protected] if you are interested. My web site is: http://worldcrzr.zenfolio.com/f824067646

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
I have a skin on my Kindle just to make it pretty and personalized but that doesn't give it any protection. I keep the Kindle inside a leather case from Oberon Design, which basically keeps the dust off, makes it look nice, and protects it from light bumps. It's not waterproof or anything (also not lighted) so I still wouldn't take it to the beach but it works for my purposes.

If you want more protection than a leather cover can provide you might think about a plastic, lighted case. You can also get waterproof cases.

I haven't done sleeves or bags yet, mostly because I just haven't gotten around to trying them. Also, I'm kinda reluctant to cover up my pretty skin and cover.  :p

Good luck with whatever you decide.  

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Covers are meant to protect the beauty of your case from the sun, scratches and dust. Most people use them when carrying their Kindle in a purse or backpack to protect the case from getting scratched or damaged. Many women carry their Kindle in their purses everywhere and enjoy the protection a cover gives their case. I have a "Tree Of Life" Oberon cover in the saddle color. I always have it in a cover even at home. It is so beautiful I would hate to have anything happen to it.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts

I have this item for summer use. I love it.
deb

1 - 9 of 9 Posts