Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE: After being told "no", Becca was told "yes". I'm sure a sudden surge of emails helped. Although I doubt I'll be getting a personal reply from Jeff Bezzos now, I'm very happy for Becca.

If you haven't read Becca Mill's post on a fraudulent DMCA takedown notice ... do it now.

A lot of people are suggesting Becca take legal action. She can't. Typically in these cases it is possible to SUE the accuser. However, her accuser is in India, and she can't sue Amazon.

Amazon is NOT liable if they repost the book since Becca has already posted a counter-notice. Smashwords even recognizes that, and that the evidence of copyright infringement was spurious, so they reposted her book.

What we can do: email [email protected] AND cc' [email protected]

Becca's book is unique and beautiful. If you're afraid to email as a "grumpy author" email as a FAN and a CUSTOMER.

Her book's name is Nolander, and the ASIN is: B007R6PPZA

·
Registered
652 Posts
Someone who did write in, can you post what you wrote? I tried to draft something but I'm really not sure at all what to say as a reader OR an author, but I'd love to help. This is terrible >;(

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dear Mr. Bezzos,

I am a customer of Amazon. An author I am a fan of was recently accused of copyright infringement on Amazon and Smashwords. She sent Amazon and Smashwords counter-notice on March 2, 2015. After reviewing the evidence Smashwords, a much smaller company, posted her book back up right away.

Her accuser is in India. She cannot sue for copyright fraud because of his locale. She is helpless.

By the DMCA's own laws AMAZON IS NOT LIABLE AFTER a counter notice is  filed. YOU CANNOT BE SUED for reposting her book. Please do the right thing and relist it. Relevant info below:

ASIN: B007R6PPZA
Title: Nolander
Author: Becca Mills

DMCA counter-notice submitted to KDP on March 2, 2015.

Kushal Das (the accuser) commented on Becca's blog (screen name "Kelvin") from the IP addresses 117.194.249.191 and 122.163.9.171 offering to "HELP" with the problem. These are Indian addresses, so he resides in India or is consistently misrepresenting his place of residence, including falsifying his IP addresses.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Done, and I already have an automated response. Here's hoping this helps -- this situation is sickening and horrifying. (((hugs Becca)))

·
Registered
652 Posts
Done. I'm truly hoping this is resolved ASAP. It chills me to the core to think of how disastrous something like this could be for an author. Big hugs to Becca.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Done. Stay strong, Becca! We've got your back.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
You guys are the best! I just spoke to a real, live Amazon person. They're going to put the book back up.

Thank you SO MUCH!

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Becca Mills said:
You guys are the best! I just spoke to a real, live Amazon person. They're going to put the book back up.

Thank you SO MUCH!
YES!!!! *happy dance* SOOO happy to hear this! YAY, BECCA!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Becca Mills said:

Thank you SO MUCH!
Wonderful news! Did they happen to mention all the emails sent their way?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Email sent! Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Becca Mills said:

Thank you SO MUCH!
Holy freaking cow! That's awesome! I'm so happy for you.

When we all have time to breathe, we need to know how to safeguard ourselves from this happening to the next person.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
G. said:
Wonderful news! Did they happen to mention all the emails sent their way?
They didn't. But I'm sure it had an impact. Even if my email from yesterday was already working its way through the system, having a bunch of other people also email underlines the need for Amazon to make its policy on these DMCAs more effective -- and maybe to improve the KDP customer service, too. They'll take it more seriously if they know it's something many authors are worried about.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They didn't. But I'm sure it had an impact. Even if my email from yesterday was already working its way through the system, having a bunch of other people also email underlines the need for Amazon to make its policy on these DMCAs more effective -- and maybe to improve the KDP customer service, too. They'll take it more seriously if they know it's something many authors are worried about.
Well, darn! Now I'll never get a personal response from Jeff Bezzos.

Just kidding. I'm so happy for you I'm getting all welled up.

·
Super Moderator
10,096 Posts
C. Gockel said:
Well, darn! Now I'll never get a personal response from Jeff Bezzos.

Just kidding. I'm so happy for you I'm getting all welled up.
(((C.)))

You think you're getting welled up. Look what you guys did for me! So awesome. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts