Kindle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My 8-year old Toshiba laptop, with which I've been writing books and publishing via Kindle-Create, died, so I bought a HP 14 Laptop. I tried downloading Kindle-Create (after logging-in so Amazon knows it's me), and it didn't appear like always. I only get an exe. file.

Do you have any advice as to how I can get Kindle-Create back on my laptop?

If you know laptops and know the one I chose is not a good one, I'd appreciate suggestions.

Thank you so much.

Ignoramus Lori

·
Registered
293 Posts
I don't know what the problem is, but did you skip a step maybe? Here are the instructions.
WindowsMacOS
  1. Click the Download Now button. A confirmation box appears. Click Save File.
  2. You will be prompted to save the installer to your Downloads folder, but you can change the location. Click Save.
  3. Open your Downloads folder (or the location you saved the installer to) and double-click the installer file. The installation wizard opens. Review the License Agreement and click I Agree.
  4. You will be prompted to install Kindle Create in a default location, but you can change the location. Click Install.
  5. You will receive a success message when installation is complete. The Run Kindle Create box is checked by default, but you can change this. Click Finish.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for responding. I will try again in the morning when my brain is fresh.

I’m not tech savvy and I’m thrown trying to figure out how to do things on this new laptop. I don’t know how to save my current book with no C: drive. (I always mail it to myself too.) I’ve got to work on patience!!

Again, thanks so much.

·
Registered
The Rune that Binds, The Undying Night, Realms - Stories of the Heart and Mind.
20 Posts
Thank you so much for responding. I will try again in the morning when my brain is fresh.

I’m not tech savvy and I’m thrown trying to figure out how to do things on this new laptop. I don’t know how to save my current book with no C: drive. (I always mail it to myself too.) I’ve got to work on patience!!

Again, thanks so much.
Hi!

This sounds like you have a Chromebook, and not a Microsoft Windows-based PC. Chromebooks run on a version of the Android operating system, and will not show a C drive. A windows computer will have a C drive.

If you have a Windows-based PC (which will allow you to install and run Kindle Create), your keyboard should have the Windows logo in the lower left corner. If it doesn't, you most likely have a Chromebook, which cannot install Kindle Create.
Rectangle Computer keyboard Laptop accessory Font Electric blue

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JD, you are wonderful to respond in detail. Thank you!

I see the Windows logo on the keyboard. The box the laptop came in says “Windows 11 in S mode”. I need to research “S mode” because when I tried to download Kindle Create, a box popped up saying I was leaving S mode and warned I could never get back in if I left and there would be consequences having to do with security, etc.

I also don’t like the sheen on the screen where I have to sit in one position & not move in order to read the screen well or get a coherent view of photos I’m uploading. So that might be as much of an issue as the difficulty in getting K-C.

I bought this at Walmart to save $. None of the laptops were on, so I didn’t see the screen. I might have to go to Best Buy & spend more $ on a better laptop where I can ask the sales person the questions I have on saving a document to C: and downloading K-C.

Thank you so much again.

Lori

·
Registered
20 Posts
There's your problem. S mode will only run Microsoft Apps from the Microsoft Store.

S mode provides additional security by only allowing trusted apps to run. There's no danger in leaving S mode as long as you only install trusted software. Kindle Create shouldn't create a problem for you, though. There might be a performance issue, however, as S mode computers tend to have lower specs, and apps typically don't require higher end hardware. I would recommend a higher end laptop. My recommendation would be at least an i5 processor with 8 gigs of ram. You can get buy on 4, but that extra bit will make the computer work with fewer headaches for you. It will also last longer, by which I mean, you won't have problems with newer software running smoothly on it as time goes by.

My basement for buying laptops is $400. I won't buy anything less expensive than that, as a general rule. It's a good rule of thumb for getting good hardware if you're not tech savy.

If you decide to keep the HP S mode, here's how you get out of S mode. It used to be free, but there might be a cost now. I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can’t thank you enough. I’m literally about to go into Best Buy right now. Definitely getting 8 gigs of ram this time & I’m willing to spend $400 or more. I paid about $250 for the HP 14 laptop Windows w/S mode. You get what you pay for.

I don’t know what i5 processor is. I could look it up, but I just parked so I’ll ask the sales peeps here or look it up in-store.

I need to create books with Kindle Create and to easily upload photos of items I’m selling online in my other side hustle. I have to be able to do those things easily on my laptop.

I’ll let you know what happens. Feeling better now. I was triggered! Thanks again.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear JD and MSNN,

At Best Buy, I bought a Samsung Galaxy w/8 gigs and i5 processor. It was on sale for 499.99. There was an ASUS that looked good for $250 more with much brighter deeper colors on screen. But even if I bought a returned ASUS for cheaper, I couldn’t justify the cost.

I told him about the HP 14 streamer Windows 11 w/S mode. He said I’ll never get a C: drive with a streamer and confirmed what you said JD that I’ll primarily only have access to Microsoft apps & leaving S mode would be a risk. He said I’ll have no problem downloading Kindle Create.

Tomorrow I’ll return the HP 14 to factory settings & bring it back to Walmart and then open the new laptop and get back to Book 6 of my series, which I hope will pay for the nearly certain increase in rent next year.

Thanks again for all your help. I was despairing.

Lorio

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm glad I could help. Samsung is a good brand. I think you'll get quite a few years of service from your laptop. Good luck on your books!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts