Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It isn't intentional, but it seems like every book that I've read lately has been a real tear-jerker.  :'( I like a good cry every once in a while, but I'm getting tired of finishing off a book with a kleenex in hand. I need some recommendations for some happy books that will not make me use up another box of tissues.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Whenever I need a "literary upper" I go to Terry Pratchett's "Discworld" series.

First in the series is:

Most of the books can pretty much stand on their own, though it helps to read any of the separate story arcs in sequence. My personal favorite arc is the Sam Vimes/City Watch sub-series, which starts with:

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I second Nogdog's recommendation. Though "Night Watch" did kind of make me tear up, most of Pratchett's books are just fun without too much to depress you. This one is kind of fun too if you want something on the shorter side and don't mind some abrasive language/situations:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
sjc said:
Shopaholic Series by: Sophie Kinsella
I was going on a roadtrip and wanted an audio book that was light and funny. The salesperson at Borders recommended Shopaholic. Oh my gosh what a hoot! It is best to listen to/read them in order.

Sophie Kinsella has another book that just cracks me up -- "Can You Keep A Secret". Too funny.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
GreenThumb said:
Have you tried Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series? Laugh out loud funny.

Here's a link to a book with the first 3 books in 1:

sjc said:
Shopaholic Series by: Sophie Kinsella
BOTH of these series! You can't go wrong and you will be laughing the whole time.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I agree with the Evanovich series, although at times I laughed so hard I needed a Kleenex to wipe my eyes. 
deb

·
Super Moderator
67,292 Posts

It oughta be a law that everyone have a copy of this book to read when they need a pick me up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just posted this note on another tread, but I think it works here too. My novels in
this series has been described as laugh out loud funny and compared to
the Stephanie Plum novels.

Hello Fellow Readers,

This is my first post here, I hope it's appropriate. I recently uploaded
my novel to kindle. It's listed for $1.59. If any of you read it, please let
me know what you think. Here's what Publishers Weekly said about it:

“In Barely Maid, Ruby Gordon thinks she's going to spend the next week quietly house-sitting with her best friend, but instead finds herself in the middle of some unusual goings-on, including the murder of a stranger who's come looking for her boss. Ruby's combination of ingenuousness and savvy makes for a humorous mystery full of unpretentious commentary on race and gender relations, and on small-town culture.”

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
I suggest the Stephanie Plum series, too. The first one's a bit dark, but it's still very funny in many places. They get funnier and lighter after that. You'll laugh so hard that you'll be crying. (And you'll learn new expressions, like my favorite: mental eye roll.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to agree with the Janet Evanovich Stephanie Plum recomdation too.  Laugh out loud funny.  I bought the first one when my father was hospitalized unexpectally.  It was on sale in the gift shop.  I got a few odd looks from people as I was reading because I was laughing out loud while in the ICQ waiting room.  :-[

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
<mental eye roll> ;)

(Couldn't resist. It's one of my favorite sayings of S.P.'s.)

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm with sjc. Sophia Kinsella. I recently finished "Remember Me". Fast, light reading. The main character wakes up in the hospital, with no memory of the last three years. Not her work, her husband, nor how to drive a car. Nothing.

I have just finished about three heavy novels, and was ready for something lighter and saw that one at B&N. I would buy some more of hers again.

Laurie

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
If you want a funny, upbeat mystery, try Bad Guys by Linwood Barclay. This is an especially fun read for any of you who have teens in the house. It's written from the dad's POV and it's great.

Debra

·
Registered
361 Posts
I say "thanks" too, I sampled & ordered the Stephanie Plum 3in1 book.
Going good so far! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts