Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have recently purchased an Acer Aspire One 10.1 Netbook, I also have a Dell laptop (about 6-7 yrs old) and a Dell desktop, I work on a computer at work, but do not know anything about the mechanics (I guess that is what you would call it).  If I have any problems with my home computers I have to take them to work for our IT guy to "help me" figure out what to do (he does all the figuring).  He is great and is always willing to help me but I feel that I need to know more about things so that I can troubleshoot issues myself.  He has helped me with every one of my computers including setting up my wireless network security (it was previously unsecured).  My DH (rip) originally set up the router and I wasn't sure if it had been setup as a secure network, I didn't even know how to find out.

Well, to try to make this long story short, I want to be able to understand or have a source to look up terminology and/or instructions on how to setup, fix and understand my computers.

If you have any suggestions on a good book about computers, please tell me about it.  I look forward to your input.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kathy, thanks for the suggestions.  I didn't think you were referring to me as a dummy and I have thought about these books but I just can't get past the title, ugh.  I have always thought that was an awful name to put on the cover of a book!  Hopefully there will be other suggestions of different books that might help.  I am really looking for a reference/self help kind of book. :-\

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
B-Kay 1325 said:
Kathy, thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think you were referring to me as a dummy and I have thought about these books but I just can't get past the title, ugh. I have always thought that was an awful name to put on the cover of a book! Hopefully there will be other suggestions of different books that might help. I am really looking for a reference/self help kind of book. :-\
I'll look for others. I'm a software trainer and I have found that these books are really helpful with practical information. They break it down into a language easy to understand. I have lots of reference books and I'll see which ones look like they will help the most.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I appreciate all the help I can get! LOL  I have used computers for years but have never taken the time to learn about them, now I want to learn more about them and have even considered taking a class but don't know what class to take.  I know more than a beginner but not enough to be considered advanced (IMHO).  That's what made me decide to ask here about a book.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts