Kindle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my first Kindle had the ever infamous sun fade issue.  I called yesterday and the FINALLY agreed to exchange it.  The "new" unit arrived today.  I question if it was new for 3 reasons...first, the plastic protector sheet was really put on kind of haphazardly and there was a bit of lint on the sticky side.  Also, there is some sticky substance on the back, as if there was a label on it.  Third, it is an older serial number and the Kindle Guide just says Kindle 2 Guide, as opposed to my original which said Kindle 2 Guide Version 2.  I called and they assured me that this was a never before used Kindle 2.  I haven't tested the sun issue because, of course, it is very cloudy today....I know I paid good money for this, but I honestly don't know what to think about this replacement.  Should I fight to have that one replaced or just assume that the person who packaged it (which was, by the way the exact packaging as my original with the tear strip in place) had sticky fingers that day?

·
Registered
399 Posts
JMO,

But if the Kindle works OK, why worry about it being a refurb? Amazon maintains the right to provide us with a refurb if they so choose. From the Warranty:

We warrant the Device against defects in materials and workmanship under ordinary consumer use for one year from the date of original retail purchase. During this warranty period, if a defect arises in the Device, and you follow the instructions for returning the Device, we will, at our option, either (i) repair the Device using either new or refurbished parts, (ii) replace the Device with a new or refurbished Device, or (iii) refund the purchase price of the Device. This limited warranty applies to any repair, replacement part or replacement Device for the remainder of the original warranty period or for ninety days, whichever period is longer. All replaced parts and Devices for which a refund is given shall become our property.
Bold is mine. Your warranty still applies to the replacement Kindle, so if the replacement model fails then you can send it back once again. My experience with refurbed electronics has been very positive, so if it were me I wouldn't be concerned.

Finally, if it is refurbed there should be a sticker on the box stating same - IIRC.

Best of luck with your decision. I hope it all works out OK for you. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
MTscribe,

If it makes you feel better, my replacement arrived yesterday and was in a similar condition.  Maybe they just came from a batch where quality control was not spot on that day  (a Friday afternoon group?).  I didn't have the stickiness on the back, but my plastic was crumply and I had black fuzz on the unit.

I do have an orange sticker on my box, but nothing on it...hmmmmm....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the orange sticker too!  It was the first thing I noticed.  Maybe that was to indicate overnight shipping or something?  At any rate, I also noticed that the background is darker, and the text is a bit darker and crisper.  I am going to wait until I can upgrade the firmware before I decide, since they both have completely different firmware at the moment.  The new one is ghosting quite a bit and I am hoping that the update will fix that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts