Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody.

This is driving me crazy and I can't find any help online. Hopefully, someone here can help me!

I've spent all day formatting my book for Createspace. Right now, I have all the front matter, the story, and the back matter. The headers and footers are correct (that took me way too long to figure out). The chapters start on an odd page.

All in all, it looks great.

HOWEVER.

I get this strange line skip with some quotation marks. I've checked my entire document and it happens 4 times.

This is what happens: a character is speaking and gets interrupted. Queue an em dash and closing quotation marks. Simple, right? Nope!

Here's what happens when the em dash is near the end of the line:

"I'm sorry, but we have to-
"
"I insist!"

Or:

"We are your Keeper. We would not like to see you succumb-
"
"The True Self's number is 603. Bring up the record."

Please, does anybody know how I can solve this issue? I'm going crazy searching for information, but I haven't been able to find any explanation. Should I change the indent?

Help! :'(

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, I should have specified.

I'm working on Word 2003.

I haven't transferred to PDF. For that, I'll use Cute PDF Writer (only thing I got). I'll do it right now and see, just in case.

Yeah, the issues are just the same once I convert it to PDF. No jiggling around or anything.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've never seen that error. Can you get a copy of the newest MS Word 2010, even as a free trial? There may even be a 2013 out soon. This could be a legacy glitch from the old version.

I bought a 1-month Adobe PDF Creator membership for $10. Not sure if that helps.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm guessing the error has to do with the em dash. It happens on 4 occasions in the entire book, and only when there's an em dash near the end of the line. The quotation marks get bumped all alone to the next line.

Maybe someone else knows? I'm using Word 2003. There has to be a solution, right? :(

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Odd. I use em dashes too (word 2010) and don't have that issue. Do you have a space after your em dash? Is it a true em dash (crtl-alt-minus)? I assume you've switched on the backwards P (whose proper name completely escapes me right now) to see what formatting is hiding?

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm not sure this would solve your problem, but try turning off smart quotes.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I use Word and have em dases. I haven't had this problem. I did them by "space" hyphen "space" and the after the next word "space" and the em dash appears where it should. If it is at end of sentence, I type in a small word instead of the " and then "space". the em dash appears. Then I backspace to take the small word I don't want out, and put the " where the first letter of the temporary word had been.  The formattiing has always been fine.

Control/Alt/minus does not give me em dashes in Word...

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the suggestions. No, there aren't any spaces around the em dashes, and they're true em dashes.

The problem was driving me nuts! I solved it, though. I changed the font.  :)

I was using Book Antiqua size 10, and now I'm using Garamond size 11. All the problems are gone.

Isn't that the strangest?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts