Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please recommend a good classic book that you've read? I want it to be a classic so that I can get it for free. Thank you.  ;D

·
Registered
446 Posts
I love Pride and Prejudice, but a character list may be in order while reading!!

Oh how about Dracula, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Little Women, Alice in Wonderland, Through the Looking Glass, and Anne of GReen Gables.

All of these are found on www.Feedbooks.com

Have fun reading!
Rachel

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Note that you are not limited to classics if you are looking for free books--you can also search Amazon for newer free books by using this search, found under the sticky topic "Book Lovers' Links" at the top of the Book Corner.

http://www.jungle-search.com/US/kindle.php#free

Some are Harlequin romances, there's at least one best seller on there, Persuader by Lee Child (good book, part of a series).

Also, check out our Free Books Thread sticky, also at the top of the Book Corner for other recommendations of free books.

Betsy

·
Registered
223 Posts
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas.  I'm very big on classics and read many while in jr high and high school, along with honors english in college and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how/why I never got to this one.  I'm reading it currently.

·
Registered
468 Posts
My Antonia by Willa Cather

·
Registered
446 Posts
JCBeam said:
The Count of Monte Cristo, Alexandre Dumas. I'm very big on classics and read many while in jr high and high school, along with honors english in college and for the life of me, I cannot figure out how/why I never got to this one. I'm reading it currently.
This is a great one! Loved it. :)

Rachel

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I'm currently reading Emma by Jane Austen. 
I also got some very good free books at manybooks.net.  I like the search feature on manybooks also. 
Good luck.  Let us know what you chose. 
deb

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I would also recommend Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson, King Solomon's Mines or She by H. Rider Haggard and The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen of course....and after you read it.  If you have a hankering for the movie.  The one to watch would be the BBC movie with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle...acting as Darcy and Elizabeth.

Happy Reading,

Tami

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Note that you are not limited to classics if you are looking for free books--you can also search Amazon for newer free books by using this search, found under the sticky topic "Book Lovers' Links" at the top of the Book Corner.

http://www.jungle-search.com/US/kindle.php#free

Some are Harlequin romances, there's at least one best seller on there, Persuader by Lee Child (good book, part of a series).

Also, check out our Free Books Thread sticky, also at the top of the Book Corner for other recommendations of free books.

Betsy
Also check out http://www.jakonrath.com/freebies.htm#story for 4 (I believe it's still 4) free books that he wrote before he was published.
As far as classics go, I'd second the recommendation for Jane Eyre and all the Jane Austens - and the one at the top of my to-be-read list is The Count of Monte Cristo because I've seen so many people recommend it. Feedbooks.com and mobileread.com are my favorite sources for free classics.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've downloaded Wind in the Willows and Treasure Island. Thank you all and more recommendations are welcome.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
You can get a classic version free with the Sherlock Holmes content but this includes everything he ever wrote:

Another that includes everything the author wrote:

Between the two of them there would be literally days of reading.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you LDB! I've been wanting to read Sherlock Holmes and I love Mark Twain.

·
Super Moderator
67,323 Posts
And then there are American classics:  James Fenimore Cooper -- Last of the Mohicans, Hawthorne's House of Seven Gables, Poe's short stories (also novels and poems).  Go to www.feedbooks.com and just start browsing. . . . :)

Ann

1 - 20 of 29 Posts