Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two plots that I'm putting up for sale. Keep in mind that there are at least 3 copies out there of each so you may want to edit the outlines a little if you want them to really be unique. I wanted to sell no more than 5 copies of each outline, so I'm looking to sell 2 more.

Both outlines are in series:

Post-Apocalyptic outline (28k words - 4 books) @ $100
Romantic Suspense outline (5k words - 2 books) @ $50

They include character descriptions and chapter breakdowns. If interested, feel free to message me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The plots are still available. I will be offering edits on the plots for an extra 20% of the cost price.

If interested please message me.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
When you say outlines, how in depth are they for say the Post Apocalyptic down to the act structure and chapters.. As tempting as the offer is, sorry if this puts a damper on it, but the problem as I see it is that even making alterations to character names and some of the plot, it will still be the same story progression told 5 times with different words and maybe setting and type of disaster, and society, if it ventures into a Dystopian society as is usual, which will likely be spotted by readers of the genre before they get to beyond the first book..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way you write a story and the way someone else writes a story with the same plot can make a difference on its own, but if some major scenes are shifted, it will look vastly different.

The plot is for an EMP survival story, with an emphasis on the breakdown of society (as far as the mc sees at least). There are character descriptions and chapter by chapter breakdowns. Major plot points can be changed, as can the characters. Character motivation, character voice, and their reaction to their environment can also make the plot a bit more unique. The major conflict and beginning of the story could also be changed.

I didn't mention this in the main post but I'm willing to offer samples of the plots so anyone who's interested can decide if they want to give them a try. I'd also be willing to negotiate down the price.

As for all five books being spotted and caught on by readers (even if they were very similar) there's actually a really low chance of this. The books are most likely to be written and launched at different times, they will be 5 books in a sea of thousands. The chances of being caught by the same audience drops even further with the more changes made to the plot, even completely changing the genre.

I haven't seen for this specific plot, but for the suspense plot, I have seen two vastly different takes on the outline and you could not tell the stories came from the same origin, because the "voice" of the characters was different, and there was a shift in the introduction and main conflict of the story. The second story also cut down on the chapters and turned a 2 book plot into one long novel with a short prequel as a reader magnet. I have personally used plots sold to a wider public, so likely dozens of other authors were working with the same material I was, but I've never seen an argument from readers about the book being similar to other books.

I do however understand the concern.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Thanks for expanding and the new information. How many chapters for each are plotted in the post apocalypse?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No worries. The post apoc outline has an average of 27 chapters, only book 2 has 28 chapters.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since the holidays are coming up, I'll directly discount the plot outlines, but will no longer negotiate on the prices. Here are the revised prices:

Post-Apocalyptic outline (28k words - 4 books, average 27 chapters each) @ $65
Romantic Suspense outline (5k words - 2 books, 30 chapters each) @ $35

Offer available until the end of December, however, I'm only selling two copies of the post-apoc plot and three of the romantic suspense plot. Additional edits will total up to $100 and $55 respectively.

If interested, please pm me. I can offer a sample of the outline and give more details on the plots.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I hope you aren't copying other peoples work and then making small changes. That would be a real bum move. I've seen people doing that.

They find a book, change a few things but its basically the same story, same characters, some action points.

No

I would caution everyone on this forum before diving into this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hope you aren't copying other peoples work and then making small changes. That would be a real bum move. I've seen people doing that.

They find a book, change a few things but its basically the same story, same characters, some action points.

No

I would caution everyone on this forum before diving into this.
Um... No? I specifically said these were plot outlines, I didn't get a book and break it down into an outline because I honestly would not know how to do that. These START OFF as outlines and can be turned into a book/several books. Changes in the outline would naturally equal the story being different, like if you got rid of/changed a character. For example, you can edit the suspense out of the romantic suspense outline and create romantic tension with a second lead (who, in the original outline, is an antagonist not a romantic candidate.) And you would write your book from the new base, which is your edited outline.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Buying plots has become a big business. There are many on Fiverr and several plotting businesses on FB. I suspect more will pop up because it's in demand. I've bought plots before. I am a plotter when I write but to get books out faster, I've bought plots before so I could jump to the next project quickly. I gotta be honest, I enjoy the benefits of outlining but I HATE writing my outline because it takes days but in the end, it's worth it to have an outline. I was a pantser years ago and would NEVER go back to those days. Plotting helps me tremendously.

Good luck with your business and at least your prices are something the average author can afford. Buying a plot should not cost the same as buying the latest iPhone IMO. 😁 Are you on Fiverr too? You don't have to disclose your Fiverr name if not, just asking. I buy services off on Fiverr.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buying plots has become a big business. There are many on Fiverr and several plotting businesses on FB. I suspect more will pop up because it's in demand. I've bought plots before. I am a plotter when I write but to get books out faster, I've bought plots before so I could jump to the next project quickly. I gotta be honest, I enjoy the benefits of outlining but I HATE writing my outline because it takes days but in the end, it's worth it to have an outline. I was a pantser years ago and would NEVER go back to those days. Plotting helps me tremendously.

Good luck with your business and at least your prices are something the average author can afford. Buying a plot should not cost the same as buying the latest iPhone IMO. 😁 Are you on Fiverr too? You don't have to disclose your Fiverr name if not, just asking. I buy services off on Fiverr.
Hi, and thanks :)

But I'm honestly not much of an outliner either, in fact, I hate it because it's hard, and I'm more of a pantser. When I do crank out an outline, it's hard to actually get into the story and write, since it already feels like a complete story to me, so they end up collecting dust in my hard drive. I have purchased outlines as well, and edited them to my specs because it's just easier that way. However, I'm also a ghostwriter and I will occasionally work with a client to get a plot down if they don't have one ready.

I worked with a client on these, ghostwrote the complete novels and had a contract signed and everything, but the guy just went silent on me, wouldn't reply to my emails. I thought nothing of it at first since he had paid me for previous contracts. My rates at the time were half what they are now, but he still owed me more than a thousand dollars. It's been years, and I originally wanted to edit the plots, write new books and publish them to maybe get something out of it, since I can't use the original manuscripts. But it would take too long and I still have other work to focus on, so I'm directly selling limited copies of the plots to recoup costs.

If anyone else is worried about the origin of the plots, there it is. They're neither copied nor stolen, just work I never got paid for.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here's more details on the plots, please message me for samples:

Suspense Romance
The FMC meets billionaire twins. She's immediately taken by the more charismatic twin before she has a chance to learn his true character, but when she tries to back away, he's not having it, and things get ugly. She's subjected to harrassment, and kidnapped. It's up to the oldest twin, working with the police, to find her and save her before it's too late.

Post-apoc
The country experiences an EMP attack. In the FMC's town, a plane falls in the middle of traffic, starting a chain of events that will see society as the MC sees it collapse in the struggle for food and resources. The FMC has to protect her family, and her town, in this falling society.
(A romantic sub-plot runs through the whole series.)

Available: two copies of the post apoc series and three of the romantic suspense plot.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
A plot outline needs to land in a pretty narrow margin to work as the base for multiple people... and still be more useful than a generic beat sheet (Romancing the Beat or any breakdown of three or five-act structure. They are, essentially, all the same). It needs to be more specific than the beat sheet (or why buy over the beat sheet?) but not so specific multiple stories told using the same plot feel overly similar. That's a tough ask, especially as every author will bring a different level of uniqueness to their pre-purchased plot. One might follow to the letter. Another might veer wildly off course. What if all give authors follow to the letter and make the most obvious choices? Their books might seem too similar.

For me, the bigger concern is the characters... again, same issue. Too archetypical and why use the outline? Too specific and people will notice. Especially in romance, people are there for characters. I can see how these outlines would be helpful, but I would certainly advise authors who buy them to make sure they make the books their own.

When I work on a new trope, niche, or format, I go through a few books and break down their structure (at least, I am to do that...). It's a helpful way to get a feel for the structure. I could see these as a sorta shorthand for that too, but I think, with breaking down a book, most of the education is more from the process than the end result.

·
Administrator
10,155 Posts
Greetings, Max N. You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe, but only in this thread.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member. See the link in my signature for more information.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. That includes sharing both positive and negative experiences/interactions they've had with you or your service. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.

Vendor threads are permitted in the Writers' Cafe not only as a form of advertising that benefits vendors but also to provide one location where reviews of vendors can be concentrated and more easily brought to the attention of the whole community. For this reason, we make a reasonable attempt to maintain threads even for vendors with whom multiple customers report negative experiences.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Greetings, Max N. You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Cafe, but only in this thread.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service will be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again when you want to post.

You may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (as I'm doing with this post), you may reply to them, but otherwise you must wait seven days. Any pattern of posting designed to artificially bump your thread to the top of the forum is prohibited. Please note that very short or (one- or two-word) posts with no meaningful information are discouraged and may be deleted at the moderators' discretion.

Lastly, your posts and images will need to meet our "forum decorum" guidelines, which is the case for every member. See the link in my signature for more information.

You may find that members ask searching questions -- about how your service works, for example, or what they will get for their money, or whether your service adheres to Amazon's terms of service. Such "vetting" is a common here and can be rigorous.

Note that members are allowed to provide civil and honest feedback about your service in this thread. That includes sharing both positive and negative experiences/interactions they've had with you or your service. You may respond to criticism in a civil manner, but name-calling, badgering, accusations of lying, and other breaches of forum decorum can lead to loss of vendor posting privileges.

Any and all disputes between you and your clients should be handled off-site.

Thanks,
Becca
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service.

Vendor threads are permitted in the Writers' Cafe not only as a form of advertising that benefits vendors but also to provide one location where reviews of vendors can be concentrated and more easily brought to the attention of the whole community. For this reason, we make a reasonable attempt to maintain threads even for vendors with whom multiple customers report negative experiences.
Thanks! I couldn't remember how many days it was in between posts but I'll keep it in mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'd be interested in the PA outlines. I'm not a plotter myself but need to expand my catalog. This could help.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts