Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody else seeing this?
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Brand

From my own anecdotal experience: $1.99 books seem to be 10 points, $2.99 books are $15 points, and probably onward and upward.

I have no idea what the points are for though.

· Super Moderator
74,471 Posts
I have it, too. On the book page where the format boxes allways just said KINDLE, HARDCOVER, etc. there's now the notation about points in the box. The first book I looked at is $12.99 and worth 65 points. FWIW it also has points on the hardcover and paperback prices. It looks like it's on other books as well .... so far, all I've checked.

Tried searching for some more info but could only find details on the Amazon Rewards Visa card -- but I think this is different since the 'cash back' there is consistently 5% for Amazon purchases. But based on the books I looked at, the "you earn" points are different for Kindle vs Hardcover vs Paperback. Like: there's more for kindle books that hardback, even though the hardback price is higher.

Curiouser and curiouser.

· Registered
24,801 Posts
I think there was a similar special promotion last year for selected customers. Trying to remember, but I think they were assigning points to Kindle books and when you bought or accumulated 400 points, you got a credit (can't remember how much but it was something like $4 or $8, not sure now) to be used for Kindle books. It may have been last summer. Anyone else remember that?

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
might help if you say where you are seeing it.
The points are gone now, but I assume the pic I attached to the OP didn't show up for you?

You could see the points under the price on any Kindle book page.

Looks like it was a glitch. Too bad, because earning points for Kindle purchases would've been a nice incentive. Oh well...

· Registered
21,030 Posts
Is anybody else seeing this?
View attachment 33337

From my own anecdotal experience: $1.99 books seem to be 10 points, $2.99 books are $15 points, and probably onward and upward.

I have no idea what the points are for though.
this is your picture. doesn't say WHERE it is. could have been amazon, could have been google, could have been audible, could have been a 3rd party site like goodreads.

shrug whatever.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
this is your picture. doesn't say WHERE it is. could have been amazon, could have been google, could have been audible, could have been a 3rd party site like goodreads.

shrug whatever.
Really?!

I mean, the picture in the OP is clearly from a Kindle book listing on Amazon's website. Other sites show the price differently - different color, font, design, graphics, etc.

Why would I ask about something I saw on Google?

Again, the points were (seemingly) a temporary glitch and are no longer showing up.

· Super Moderator
74,471 Posts
Less a glitch, I think, than a premature change in coding. Won't be surprised if we get an announcement in the near future, maybe even before the holidays, about how to earn points on books and what they can be used for.

· Registered
6,593 Posts
Today I see it too!
Azure Human body Rectangle Font Magenta

Rectangle Font Number Screenshot Parallel

Not sure if this link will work or not
EDIT - Looks like it just went to Amazon sign-on page

Terms & conditions
Participation in Kindle Rewards Beta
  • Participation in the Kindle Rewards Beta (the "Beta") is by invite only. Restrictions apply.
Earning points
  • Only eligible Kindle books and print books purchased from Amazon.com during the Beta will earn Kindle Points.
  • Eligible customers will receive 5 Kindle Points per dollar spent on Kindle books and 2 Kindle Points per dollar spent on print books (excluding textbooks, magazines, newspapers, audiobooks, comics, and digital subscriptions), up to a maximum of 200 Kindle Points per book, or 400 Kindle Points per book on double points days.
  • Eligible customers can earn additional Kindle Points through bonus offers on Kindle Rewards home during the Beta. All bonus offers will commence at 12:00 AM PT and end at 11:59 PM PT on the date specified in the offer description on amazon.com/kindlerewards. Bonus offers vary.
  • It may take up to 24 hours from the time Kindle Points are earned for the points to reflect on your Kindle Points balance.
Redeeming credit
  • Kindle Points must be redeemed for promotional Kindle book credit (“Credit”) within 6 months of the date of issuance, or before 11:59 PM PT on the date the Beta ends, whichever is earlier. Any Kindle Points not redeemed for Credit before this time will expire.
  • When redeeming Kindle Points for Credit, it may take up to 2 hours for the Credit to reflect on your account. You will receive an email notification from Amazon.com confirming that the credit has been applied to your account.
  • Your Credit may only be redeemed for eligible Kindle books (excluding textbooks, magazines, newspapers, audiobooks, and comics) made available through Amazon.com, and cannot be used for physical goods, Amazon Gift Cards, or subscriptions (such as Kindle Unlimited, Audible, and others).
  • Credit will expire 30 days from the date the Credit is added to your account.
You also need to know:
  • Digital content and services may only be available to customers located in the U.S. and are subject to the Amazon.com Conditions of Use.
  • Kindle Points amounts displayed on Amazon.com are based on U.S. book prices.
  • Eligible customers may receive a notification from Amazon fulfilling the Kindle Rewards offer.
  • If any Kindle book or print book related to this offer is returned, any Kindle Points earned on that purchase will be removed from your Kindle Points balance.
  • Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel the Beta and any bonus offers at any time.
  • Taxes may apply to the full value of discounted and free promotional items.
  • Kindle Points, Credits, and bonus offers are non-transferable and may not be resold.
  • You can view your Kindle Points balance and available bonus offers at amazon.com/kindlerewards.
  • Subscribers to the Kindle Rewards email list will receive emails about bonus offers during and after the Beta ends.
  • This is a limited time offer.
  • If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.

· Super Moderator
74,471 Posts
Ah! So it is a prospective new thing. And Andra is special since it says by invitation only.

Except .... I followed the kindle rewards link in Andra's post and it took me to a page that says I have 5 points. And it's clearly MY page and not Andra's. Which makes sense as I paid 99 cents for something the other day. But I never saw an invitation or got any email about it.

I don't actually BUY that many books as most of my reading lately is from the library or KU titles, but maybe I'll bookmark that page and keep an eye out. If I've done the math right, spending $60 will earn you a $3 credit. Which isn't a lot .... but if you spend on books it's something.

FWIW, however, though I can get to that kindle rewards page, I'm not seeing the points that were briefly showing on the kindle (and paper) book prices that CS first alerted us to.

edited to add: I did see this in the FAQ on that rewards page:

No, you do not need to sign up to participate in Kindle Rewards. If eligible, you will automatically start earning Kindle Points when you buy books. You can check your points balance at amazon.com/kindlerewards.

· Registered
24,801 Posts
Ann, you have to sign up for special offers.

Go to your Account and Communication and Content, click on Email Subscriptions, check to see if Kindle Rewards is On. I think that is the one that triggers some of these Special Offers by invitation only. If it is on, then I am wrong on this, sorry.

· Registered
24,801 Posts
By the way, they did do this last year.

· Registered
24,801 Posts
I did not get an email about it. I just noticed the points when checking wishlists. And since I check daily, I know that was not there yesterday…
No, it wasn't there yesterday. Like you, I check daily because I am posting links on the Bargain Book Finds and Free Book Finds pages. The point system just showed up today for me.

You probably have the Kindle Rewards button turned on so you were automatically invited.

· Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not seeing the points that were briefly showing on the kindle (and paper) book prices that CS first alerted us to.
I'm seeing the points again by the prices for Kindle book pages (not sure about paper books). The first time, they only showed up by the price under the book title (what I posted in the OP), not the price that's also listed on the right side of the screen, but now they're showing up in both places (desktop website).

It looks like I have 30 points so far. I'm "only" 270 points away from a $3 reward. But, hey, I won't knock free credits. 😝

1 - 20 of 53 Posts