Kindle Forum banner

Are you purchasing the Extended Warranty?

• Yes

Votes: 31 36.5%
  • No

Votes: 54 63.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/gals,

My friend is about to order the Kindle and I was trying to talk him into getting the 2-Year Extended Warranty. I think it's worth it because he's always been terrible with electronics and he might end up messing something up. I'm not a 100% sure what exactly the warranty covers. How has your experience been with the Kindle and has the warranty been worth the extra few dollars for you?  Thanks  :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Debating between the 2-year one and SquareTrade... I tend to be on the clumsy side, so I will definitely be getting one.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Companies sell extended warranties to make a profit...  It's financially in their best interest, not yours.

If you are a clumsy, break stuff kind of person it might be worth it for you.  But I'm not getting it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
As a general rule, I don't buy extended warranties on any device or appliance. I see them as an unnecessary expense that will likely never be needed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
paisley said:
As a general rule, I don't buy extended warranties on any device or appliance. I see them as an unnecessary expense that will likely never be needed.
We have actually had high usage of these to the point it is de rigeur to purchase them. My highest hit was the new transmission on my 98 Accord when it had about 50K miles.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Trekker said:
Why would you purchase a warranty on an item you don't even have yet? Doesn't make any sense, you're just cheating yourself out of at least a month of coverage.
square trade requires the purchase of the accidental coverage within 30 days of purchase not receipt of the product.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I bought the warranty from amazon because, while I try my best to take care of my things, I am very clumsy at times. I also don't have  very good motor control. I have drop my kindle1 more then once and it now sports some tape on one of it top corner to cover a crack the is the result of one of the drops (it was in a M Edge cover at the time. the cover is probably the only reason it still works.) So when I order kindle2, I order the warranty too and the cover as well.  

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Alrighty everybody, Listen up!

I've got a Square Trade coupon for 30% off. myvalentine

It takes the 3 year warranty with ADH to $52.49

I just used it. It works. A 3 year warranty with Accidental Damage for less than the Amazon's 2 year. And it covers replacing the battery because it's not user replaceable.

ETA: The Square Trade Blog says it's a 25% off coupon, but I double checked the math and it's 30%

·
Registered
12,257 Posts
Although I am still in the deciding phase, I looked at the square trade website and I can't see what the Kindle fits in to. I guess one has to do this over the phone? Do they always know about current coupons over the phone and will they take them that way?
I just hate calling, I hate phones lol.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Trekker said:
K2 wasn't even officially announced in January when he purchased the warranty. How can you purchase a warranty on something that doesn't officially exist?
Because I purchased a Kindle. Now this whole segment jogs my mind as to why I purchased back in January. I bought on Jan. 6, so had to get the warranty by Feb. 5 to get ADH.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
Alrighty everybody, Listen up!

I've got a Square Trade coupon for 30% off. myvalentine

It takes the 3 year warranty with ADH to $52.49

I just used it. It works. A 3 year warranty with Accidental Damage for less than the Amazon's 2 year. And it covers replacing the battery because it's not user replaceable.

ETA: The Square Trade Blog says it's a 25% off coupon, but I double checked the math and it's 30%
That's a good deal. If you haven't already done it, I think you should start a thread about the discount. It might get buried in here and missed. :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
KindleKid said:
I got one..i know most of the times they aren't needed, but since i carry this around in public, i figured i should do it.
Yeah good idea.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've already sent my friend a link to this thread just in case he missed it. :)

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
DH and I did not buy the extended warranty for either my K2 or his DX. DH is very careful of his DX and it has only left the house when we went on vacation. Then it traveled with the laptop. I carry my K2 nearly everywhere in its $8 cover (bargain journal that I reworked). When I am not reading it, it is either safely in my purse or on stand by the bed. We will continue to be very careful.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts