Kindle Forum banner

Have you read one of these famous books? (Be honest!)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is from a story on CBS Sunday Morning on March 8, 2009.  It came up on the "abandonded books" thread, but now I am interested how my fellow Kindleboarders fall in the findings of this study.....

This is the story from CBS:

Sixty-five percent of participants in a Book Day survey confess to having LIED about reading a famous book. There's even a Top Ten list of never-read books:

10. "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins (6%)
9. "Dreams From My Father" by Barack Obama (6%)
8. "Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust (9%)
7. "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie (14%)
6. "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking (15%)
5. "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert (16%)
4. The Bible (24%)
3. "Ulysses" by James Joyce (25%)
2. "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy (31%)

... and the Number 1 unread book: "1984," by George Orwell (42%), the novel about a dictatorship that proclaims, among other things, that "Ignorance is strength."

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I've read one, 1984. But, I should really get going on A Brief History of Time because I've heard that after chapter 3, it's all I Love Lucy fanfic....

L

(A prize of some sort to someone who knows what I am talking about... ;D )

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
KindleKay said:
Drat! I can't figure out how to allow people to vote for more at a time so that they can choose them all if they want....Moderator? Help?
I fixed it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Isn't 1984 required reading everywhere?  I guess not.  It is a great book and amazingly short.  I forced my way through Madam Bovary in 10th grade for school.  It sounded interesting and really if I went back to it now - 15 years later - I would probably have a better time of it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Sunflower42479 said:
Isn't 1984 required reading everywhere? I guess not. It is a great book and amazingly short. I forced my way through Madam Bovary in 10th grade for school. It sounded interesting and really if I went back to it now - 15 years later - I would probably have a better time of it.
It was required reading when I was in school, along with Great Expectations and The Yearling. I can't remember (off hand) what else they made us plow through. Oh, Animal Farm. Yes, I read that. The Mouse that Roared. On the Beach. Alas, Babylon. Hiroshima (although I think that was my choice). They are starting to come back to me....LOL

L

·
Registered
261 Posts
I actually just finished reading The Selfish Gene - it was kindof dry and a little repetitive, but there are a few key concepts that he expands upon in later books, so I wanted to get the background.

I know I read 1984 at some time in the distant past, probably in school.

I've got Madame Bovary as a DTB - started it but haven't gotten very far, and both Ulysses and War and Peace on my kindle waiting for when I... uh... well, they're waiting. The rest are no-shows, but the Stephen Hawking book sounds interesting.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Read 1984 in high school and a couple of time since. Been through the Bible twice  with study groups. Brief history of time just the once, it was a little over me, I guess I should try it again. Ulysses I made three pages and decided it was a lost cause. The others, maybe, if you holding a gun to my head. Or maybe not...

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I find this poll interesting so far....the #1 book that "people" say they lied about reading is in the lead as the #1 book Kindleboarders HAVE read......

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
NO -- "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins
NO -- "Dreams of my Father" by Barak Obama
NO -- (But YES, to Swann's Way, the first book out of seven.) "Remembrance of Things Past" by Marcel Proust
YES -- "Midnight's Children" by Salman Rushdie
YES -- "Madame Bovary" by Gustave Flaubert
YES -- "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking
NO -- (But YES to selections) "The Bible"
YES -- "Ulysses" by James Joyce
NO -- (I gave up after 300 pages) "War and Peace" by Leo Tolstoy
YES -- "1984" by George Orwell

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Leslie said:
I've read one, 1984. But, I should really get going on A Brief History of Time because I've heard that after chapter 3, it's all I Love Lucy fanfic....

L

(A prize of some sort to someone who knows what I am talking about... ;D )
Oh man... I know what you're talking about but where I heard it has completely slipped my mind.... Harm help me out here! It had to be a TV show (or movie...)

"You didn't read my book did you? Has anyone read my book?"

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mom133d said:
Oh man... I know what you're talking about but where I heard it has completely slipped my mind.... Harm help me out here! It had to be a TV show (or movie...)

"You didn't read my book did you? Has anyone read my book?"
Not a TV show....not a movie....

But your quote is correct....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts