Kindle Forum banner

Am I dating myself here? How many remember the Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Meredith and all

• I remember it well

Votes: 35 56.5%
  • I don't remember that episode

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • I have no clue as to what you are talking about

Votes: 14 22.6%
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If Burgess Meredith had only had a Kindle: He wouldn't have needed those glasses that shattered (size 6 font may have worked for him) and he would have been able to enjoy all those books. The Kindle would have made that a non-episode. Read the episode details below:

Synopsis of the episode (borrowed from TV.com)
Sounds like us Kindle addicts...lol.

Mr. Bemis is a bank teller and loves to read. His wife despises his reading addiction and even tears up one of his books. Bemis' reading also gets him into trouble at work. He is so absorbed in his reading that he can't count out the proper amount of money for a customer. When called to the supervisor's office, he complains that he can't read at home. He had resorted to reading the label of the ketchup bottle but his wife even stopped him from doing that.

One day during his lunch break, he sneaks off to the bank vault to read the Charles Dickens novel "David Copperfield". Suddenly, a bomb blows up while he is inside. Once he recovers, he comes out of the vault to find that a nuclear war has taken place, everything is destroyed and he is the only survivor.

He searches through the rubble for signs of any other survivors. He finds no one but he does discover enough food to sustain him indefinitely. The boredom and loneliness begin to affect him, however. He discovers a revolver and plans to shoot himself in the head when he notices the sign marking the ruins of the public library. He is overjoyed to find that the books are still intact.

He finds the works of Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, Shelley, Keats and Browning. He piles up books to read each month for the years to come. He drops a book and bends over to pick it up. As he does so, he drops his glasses on the concrete steps. The lenses shatter. He is now unable to read the books, just when he had finally found the time to read them. He claims that "it's not fair!"

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
I remember this one! It was on reruns by the time my mom decided I was old enough to watch and I thought this episode was terribly sad! I felt so sorry for Bemis not being able to read.

Wasn't someone thinking about naming their Kindle Bemis??

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
My sister and I were talking about this on the Fourth of July Twilight Zone Marathon that we watch every year and this is our FAVORITE episode by far. LOVE it!

Or, if there were only a Kindle and the screen broke...'what an ending that would have been'.

Hey, the screen said I had a "fetching preview" ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
I got glasses when I was 7 or 8 -- sometime in second grade, I'm sure -- and discovered that trees had actual leaves and weren't just big balls of green stuff on top of a brown stick.  On the way home with my first pair I was reading all the street signs, probably driving my mother crazy.  And I discovered that books were a lot easier to read when you didn't need to hold them 2 inches from your face!  The rest is, as they say, history.

Anyway, when I saw that episode I totally felt for the poor man.  Vowed then and there that when they figured out how to fix eyes surgically I'd do it. . . .and I did.  Had LASIK about 10 years ago and it's been great.  I am, of course, now of an age where the reading glasses are required. . . but 10 dollar lenses from the drug store sure beats $250 for prescription lenses (with the bifocals I'd have needed)!  Oh, and, on the way home from the surgery, I was reading all the street signs and license plates WITHOUT GLASSES and driving my husband crazy.   ;D

Ann

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have seen it a bunch of times.  The first time; I was just dating my husband; so it had to be close to 30 years ago... I remember saying to him; that is the saddest thing I've ever seen, if it were me and I couldn't read, I would have wished to blow up with the rest of 'em. 

That episode made such a lasting impression on me.  I would be devastated if I couldn't read.  I do think the Kindle has helped so many who couldn't or had difficulty reading.  Our very own Teninx's lovely wife for example.   

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ann Von Hagel:  Wow...do you by any chance watch Grey's Anatomy?  You just described an exact scene in an episode from 2 weeks ago.  Dr. Hahn said she didn't know what leaves were and she just saw trees as fuzzy green blobs on brown things.  Wow!!! coincidence?

Glad you can see all things more clearly.  Medical advances are a wonderful thing.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
sjc said:
Ann Von Hagel: Wow...do you by any chance watch Grey's Anatomy? You just described an exact scene in an episode from 2 weeks ago. Dr. Hahn said she didn't know what leaves were and she just saw trees as fuzzy green blobs on brown things. Wow!!! coincidence?
I saw that one... and it reminded me of when my son got his first pair of glasses and I watched his face as he discovered there were leaves on trees and many other things he had never seen... broke my heart!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bacardi Jim:  I think you took quickfics place while he was away...lol.  So...do you remember the episode or is your virginity an avoidance tactic...lol.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
sjc said:
Ann Von Hagel: Wow...do you by any chance watch Grey's Anatomy? You just described an exact scene in an episode from 2 weeks ago. Dr. Hahn said she didn't know what leaves were and she just saw trees as fuzzy green blobs on brown things. Wow!!! coincidence?
What??!! No. I don't . . . .but I'm gonna sue! I've been telling that story for YEARS. Somebody owes me money!!!

;D

But, seriously, I've heard it also from many friends who were severely nearsighted and got glasses as a young child. Probably one of the writers had the same experience! :)

Ann

B

·
0 Posts
sjc said:
Bacardi Jim: I think you took quickfics place while he was away...lol. So...do you remember the episode or is your virginity an avoidance tactic...lol.
Oh, I remember it well! I loved Friday nights as a kid because I could watch Night Gallery and then stay up late and watch back-to-back episodes of Twilight Zone after the 10:00 news.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Night Gallery and Dark Shadows.  Don't tell me you like lost in space, I couldn't stand that dumb fool Mr. Dr. whatever Smith...my brother drove me crazy with that show.  You seem more like a "Love American Style" type...lol.

·
Super Moderator
67,246 Posts
Teninx said:
The episode is titled "All The Time In The World".
Begging your pardon, sir, but I believe it was "Time Enough at Last"

Which I only know because I googled it to see if it was available on line. Doesn't appear to be, at least not legally, but DVD's are avialable:

Oh! and in an unrelated news flash: Christopher Lloyd's home was destroyed in the fires near Santa Barbara! (Think Back to the Future)

Ann

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Oh! and in an unrelated news flash: Christopher Lloyd's home was destroyed in the fires near Santa Barbara! (Think Back to the Future)

Ann
I saw that on the news earlier... very sad!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts