Kindle Forum banner

Which of the following subjects do you think should have their own sub-board? Check NO SUBCATEGORIES

• NO SUBCATEGORIES/Leave as-is

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Literature/Fiction

Votes: 28 41.2%
  • Science Fiction/Fantasy

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Horror

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • Biography

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Non-Fiction

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Mysteries

Votes: 32 47.1%
  • Romance

Votes: 26 38.2%
  • Religion/Spirituality

Votes: 24 35.3%
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are trying to determine if there is a need to add subcategories to the Book Corner for various subjects. On one hand, it would be nice to categorize books by subject, so members can easily find books in the subjects that interest them. On the other hand, if we keep all books in simple topics like "What are you reading" and "Book Recommendations" members may find books they wouldn't otherwise have found out about.

The poll is set up so you can vote to have NO SUBCATEGORIES, or if you would prefer subcategories, you can choose as many of the ones that are listed as you like.

Please don't check the NO SUBCATEGORIES and then choose categories below, it will skew the results. Please vote for categories you think belong, not just categories that interest you.

I know a lot of people lump Horror into Fiction or Science Fiction/Fantasy, but I added it because it is my favorite. ;D

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I think categories would be nice and was just thinking that today.  As mainly a Fantasy reader, sometimes I feel a little left out of book recommendations/discussions.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I disagree with the idea of adding sub-categories. To me, it adds too much clutter. Less is more.

Besides, what about those books that fit into more than one category? There are too many of those to name.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I voted to leave it as is...I've discovered so many books that I normally wouldn't read and it would take me less time to discover more if I only had to scroll through one or two threads.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I also voted "no categories" to keep it uncomplicated (though some may think it's more complicated having everything all lumped together) and because it's fun to find new stuff I might not otherwise find, because I'd go to fewer sub-boards if it started getting broken out too much.

I wouldn't mind seeing fewer pinned threads, though; it's getting so that there are almost more pinned threads on the first page than floating threads.  ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I concur on pinned threads. . .I shall confer with my fellow moderators  :D

Ann

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
kreelanwarrior said:
Well, I voted to have separate categories, but upon reflection I agree that there's a lot of merit to leaving it as-is. Not sure if there's a middle ground or a way to have both? I know, I'm a big help... ::)
I'll jump on the bandwagon, but maybe mention the genre as a courtesy?

·
Registered
406 Posts
I voted for a general NF category and separate categories for various fiction types, an arrangement I think probably reflects the major divisions in readership interest.  

Margaret

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't know how to get around this problem, but the super long thread I tend not to look at.  Even if I have posted in it at some point, I just want to wade through it all.  If having sub-boards will help, I don't know.  kreelanwarrior mentioned she is not sure there is a middle ground, I don't either but something needs to happen.  I will just go with what happens.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I checked all of the sub categories, but like others have said, I have read books that I wouldn't have otherwise considered.

I do like the idea of having the "category" in the title of the thread.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I really like the idea of sub-categories. The only downside that I see is that we might have sparse or little activity in some genres in the early going, but that should pick up as the site continues to grow.

JMO.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Another thing to consider is *how* a book would be categorized and who decides. For instance, how would you classify the J.D. Robb "In Death" series? Are they mystery? Well, they feature New York cops and the cases that are solved is essentially the main story.  Are they sci-fi? They're futuristic since they're set starting in the year 2058 with somewhat of a different Earth than we know now, with regular off-planet travel, flying cars, and gadgets we don't have now.  Are they romance? They sort of prominently feature the relationship between the main cop and her husband, as well as other relationships between supporting characters. So what sub-board would they go under?

Another thread in this forum talks about books that could be considered "teen fiction" or "young adult" versus "children's fiction".  And the lines between mystery/suspense/thriller/adventure can really be hard to tell -- when it is "just" a mystery or when should it be dumped in fiction because it's a mystery but "more" than a mystery (if, for example, "mystery" is the only similar subcateory)?

Even with broad sweeping categories, there could be discrepancies between how I would categorize a book and how someone else would.  I say tomayto, you say tomahto.  ;)  So even if we do decide to do some breakdown, it won't ever be exact.

Just some random thoughts on a Tuesday morning. :)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Steph H said:
Another thing to consider is *how* a book would be categorized and who decides. For instance, how would you classify the J.D. Robb "In Death" series?

Even with broad sweeping categories, there could be discrepancies between how I would categorize a book and how someone else would. I say tomayto, you say tomahto. ;) So even if we do decide to do some breakdown, it won't ever be exact.
Which is one of the main reasons I'm against the idea.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I voted leave as is. I don't like it when its so spread out. Its like the posters are split up and segregated into formats. I personally am not familiar enough with what category is what yet and I would worry to post in the wrong section. I also find there are always lots of gray area's and some books would have to be forced in a "drawer" so to speak.

But my main issue is with splitting up people. Its such a great mingle right now of everyone. I have checked out books I would have never thought about because it was talked about in a thread along with others that I might be interested.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts